• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Coronavirus

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Since Coronavirus is currently spreading around the world like wildfire, I decided to make a thread deticated to the topic rather than discussing in on the general off topic thread.

I believe that we will survive this.
However, it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I think we'll survive too :) We should be concerned for the really young, old and ill. And people in underdeveloped countries where it really could take out more of the population. I'm from the UK and some schools here have been closed for precaution.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
one eyed chicklet, the corona virus does not have a mortality rate anywhere near as bad as the flu.
According to the speech by D. Trump at a media release 69,000 die of the flu each year in America.
The corona virus is nowhere near that YET.
According to Trump only 15 people in America have had the corona virus 1 person is ill, 5 people have to visit hospitals,
5 people have to stay at home and the others have been cleared then for some unknown reason Trump said about the quarantine settlements that had been built? For 15 people, what isn't he saying? Maybe he had advanced knowledge of the person in Brazil who has corona virus (it is now in that continent)

What is ALZ-113?

Who is this 'we' members have mentioned?

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
It is close to the flu. Not many people have been infected thus, not as many deaths. The flu fluctuates from 10-20% mortality usually. Also I’m not using US figures for the coronavirus or influenza

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Blaze
Blaze
A proper N95 does protect against particles, but they have to be fitted properly (aka you need a mask fitting test). The majority of the masks sold won't help
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Think it depends.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
They can protect you from aerosolized droplets from someone else's sneeze but once the droplets land on the mask, you have to inhale through it so the contents of the droplets might get mobilized again when the droplets evaporate. It may give some protection but not that much. A gas mask of the sort used against biological warfare that fits tightly around the face and has some filtering cartridges would give actual protection. I had to visit a lab one time that did machining and anodizing of beryllium and the standard there was a lab coat, hair net and a gas mask with the filter cartridges soaked in Dettol - that is the level of protection that would be effective. They had one employee whose sole job was to make sure everyone put the personal protective equipment on correctly. (Beryllium poisoning is 30% fatal if untreated. It can be treated with chelation agents but not many people want to go through that.)

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
As I'm a soldier boy, I have a gas mask, but I can't get it tight. My hair gets in the way. I'd rather get the flu than cut my hair.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Keep that quiet as if you get corona virus and die from it you might be regarded as having committed suicide.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
As I'm a soldier boy, I have a gas mask, but I can't get it tight. My hair gets in the way. I'd rather get the flu than cut my hair.
Gas masks for NBC warfare (nuclear, biological, chemical) are intended for much greater threats than the flu.

The US shipped anthrax, botulinus and clostridium perfringens pathogens and 1400 litre fermentation tanks to Iraq as late as 1989 supposedly to help Iraq defend itself against Iranian biological attacks by creating and growing vaccines. There is a nasty variant of anthrax known as activated anthrax where the lifespan of the infected individual goes from eight days for the normal version to four hours. You really don't want the gas gangrene you can get from clostridium perfringens, either. Having your small intestines die and rot can ruin your whole day. BTW an American bomb dropped from an aircraft destroyed the Iraqi biological facility early in the war, so that's all gone now.

Nuclear dust from fallout can be eliminated by filters even though some bombs are designed with fallout particle sizes that are difficult to filter.

Chemical agents are difficult to defend against because no one knows what is going to be used but generally, alkaline solutions in filter cartridges are good general purpose one-size-fits-all countermeasures. What gets used depends on whether the enemy is using agents in territory they intend to occupy soon or somewhere they never intend to go. They use volatile materials that will disappear rapidly if they intend to move into the area. They will use materials that linger if they are attacking some place behind the lines that they don't intend to occupy soon.

Get that haircut and get your gas mask to fit properly - your life may depend on it. I was in the military-industrial complex for most of my career. Designing equipment to survive and not re-infect people was one of the specialties I was trained in. Don't be a statistic.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
I got this image of myself trying to operate a small boat towards the continent all by myself, strapped in all my gear and my gas mask, after the Russians have carpet bombed us with anthrax. If that happens, I will send you a bottle of whiskey once I get to France.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
What has that got to do with the corona virus?
ChaseRules
ChaseRules
Just one bottle ?

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Has there been an announcement of how the virus moves from person to person yet.

50 countries world wide so far has COVID-19.

Last edited:
Black Thorn
After reading more about it, I realise that the media has SERIOUSLY blown up the entire thing. And now that I'm working, I have less time to obsess about things. Still, now that I'm suddenly coming into close contact with LOTS of people...getting sick is more of a concern now.

The main reason why I initially panicked was the whole quarantine thing. I pictured someone coughing, then a few hours later, they're dragged from their home in the dead of night to a quarantine center. My mind usually jumps to the worst case scenario of most situations.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I got this image of myself trying to operate a small boat towards the continent all by myself, strapped in all my gear and my gas mask, after the Russians have carpet bombed us with anthrax. If that happens, I will send you a bottle of whiskey once I get to France.
And I will drink it - after I decontaminate the outside of the bottle.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Nothing. It was
Has there been an announcement of how the virus moves from person to person yet.
You shake a hand or touch a surface that someone has sneezed onto and then you put your hand to your mouth without washing or preferable disinfecting.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
A few people in my country were diagnosed (including a guy that just came back from Italy) and a number of others have been sent to house quarrentine, some of them have already been released from the quarrentine.

It's panic more than anything else...

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
What is your country?
Top Bottom