• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Coronavirus

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Ov Fire and the Void
Black Thorn
@Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Aren't you a smoker (or an ex-smoker)? If so, could be the nicotine. 😏

I'm a chain smoker. In fact, I'm smoking right now. * blows smoke on @DeadlyDuo *

I would laugh myself silly if nicotine cured COVID-19!!!! That would be hysterical. 😂

I would literally not bet your life on it or anyone's.
I thought you had me on ignore? You made such a big deal about it awhile back.

That's a possibility, honestly.

I would be worried were that the case lest some secret black ops program snatches you up and sells you off to some Saudi Prince who wants to corner the market on lethal disease fighting weapons and keeps you locked in some deserty basement chained to a wall while IVs slowly draw your blood to synthesize it while keeping you sedated on all kinds of obscure mixtures of arabian drugs lest your immunity starts to wane.
Wait a minute..they'll keep me sedated? I'm in!! Where do I sign up?

Last edited:
S
Spanky
I thought that would get your attention. You are too predictable.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I love the statement that a person is a chain smoker, what type of chain is it that you can smoke?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I thought this quote from CNN was, for once, really accurate. Thought it might shed some light for some of the overseas people on why America is handling it differently.

The US response to coronavirus has been consistently inconsistent. It's also uniquely American. There are no national guidelines and no organized efforts to reopen the country beyond what measures states have taken. Public health officials say one thing while governors say another and President Trump says something else entirely. We Americans are left to make up our own minds. It's a symptom of American individualism, a national value that prizes personal freedoms, limited government and free will over all else.

"It's always been the orientation of America on balance, compared to other countries, to put a priority on individual freedom and liberty," says Andrea Campbell, a professor of political science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who studies the intersection of politics and public health. It's the ideal that birthed the US, when colonists split from the British monarchy to establish their own nation. It powered pioneers who ventured west to the frontier, where they settled their own towns and made their own rules. It's in our DNA.

It's also sown deep political divides, distrust of centralized authority and even skepticism of science. And it's informing the country's unruly response to this pandemic.

@TriBel Here's more you might like... I guess I could have just posted the whole thing.

80% of Republicans said the federal government has done a good job, and 85% of Democrats said the opposite.
Questions over reopening are fraught, too. More than half of Republicans in the same poll said they feel comfortable returning to their normal routines. Just a quarter of Democrats said the same.

Those opinions played out in state closures. Democrat-led California shut down on March 19, the first state to do so. Meanwhile, Republican-led states like Florida and Texas resisted shutting down until weeks later and reopened relatively quickly.

Last edited:
TriBel
TriBel
I knew the first part. It's the last sentence that disturbs me.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Unrelated to the whole virus thing, but I do really like Boris Johnson. He makes me smile and chuckle everytime I see him. His little disheveled hair and all. There is just something about him that I find really funny.

TriBel

Scooby
I'd say this is a new low for the UK but to be honest it's just the default level now. Anyway here's our part time PM explaining how it's right to charge foreign health care workers thousands of pounds if they ever need treatment themselves.

What makes it worse is the ethnic breakdown of the NHS workers who've died. The people he's charging are the ones most at risk. You couldn't make it up. All because the Government are too tight to train our own doctors and nurses.
His little disheveled hair and all.
Hopefully, his hair's a sign he's had a rough night. I really don't understand how he can make the decisions he's made and sleep soundly (except I do).

Seems his own party are uncomfortable with it. Good for them.

Last edited:

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Unrelated to the whole virus thing, but I do really like Boris Johnson. He makes me smile and chuckle everytime I see him. His little disheveled hair and all. There is just something about him that I find really funny.
Yeah the oaf character has been carefully crafted over many years. Plenty in this country enjoy good ol Boris. They don't mind how many people he gets killed.

TriBel

Scooby
Ha....from The Guardian.

Downing Street has now performed a U-turn on the NHS surcharge, and announced that care workers and all NHS workers will join the healthcare workers already benefitting from an exemption. A Number 10 spokesman put out this statement.

The PM has asked the Home Office and the Department for Health and Social Care to remove NHS and care workers from the NHS surcharge as soon as possible.
Work by officials is now underway on how to implement the change and full details will be announced in the coming days.
As the PM said in the House of Commons, he has been thinking about this a great deal.
He been a personal beneficiary of carers from abroad and understands the difficulties faced by our amazing NHS staff.
The purpose of the NHS surcharge is to benefit the NHS, help to care for the sick and save lives. NHS and care workers from abroad who are granted visas are doing this already by the fantastic contribution which they make.

Bloody Tories 🙄

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Here is an interesting article from a restaurant owner in Calgary covering why he is not going to reopen as soon as it becomes permissible. A lot of it is about cost, but a number of issues come up with COVID-19 that were not important before:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Ha....from The Guardian.

Downing Street has now performed a U-turn on the NHS surcharge, and announced that care workers and all NHS workers will join the healthcare workers already benefitting from an exemption. A Number 10 spokesman put out this statement.

Bloody Tories 🙄
Does it say how many people they asked in each group? Results could be skewed. They might ask 7 leave voters and 30 remain voters which give the percentage it does, same with the Labour and Conservative group. Also none of those percentages add up to 100 so where are the missing percentages?

TriBel

Scooby
Does it say how many people they asked in each group? Results could be skewed. They might ask 7 leave voters and 30 remain voters which give the percentage it does, same with the Labour and Conservative group. Also none of those percentages add up to 100 so where are the missing percentages?
No idea. YouGov's usually considered to be one of the best data and opinion companies. If they're ever accused of bias it's towards the right (it was started by Tory Party members, one of whom's an ex-MP). Percentages don't always add up - some of the people surveyed might not have voted in an election/the referendum. The info's probably on their website.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
The man thought to be pulling the strings in the UK broke lockdown rules twice. Ministers have been falling over themselves to defend him all day. Be interesting to see if anything happens or they'll stick with the one rule for Tories and another for everyone else.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
TriBel
TriBel
I'm so bloody angry I can't talk about it.
Bluebird
Bluebird
It's utterly beyond me how anyone in England can still vote Tory, and try to reason it with a straight face
Top Bottom