• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Could Tara be bi?

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
People have this question about Willow all the time, so what about Tara? Does she ever explicitly say she's a lesbian, or could she be bisexual?

Please don't take this offensively, I'm honestly just wondering what other people think.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I personally feel like it's implied in Tough Love, when they have an argument and Willow points out that Tara might be worried that it's just a phase for Willow before she goes back to liking boys. That, to me, implies that Tara is completely into girls, and only girls, but that could just be me. You are right, though, it's never actually stated that she is a lesbian.

TriBel

Scooby
Does she ever explicitly say she's a lesbian, or could she be bisexual?
I'm not taking offense (doesn't personally bother me) but why should she have to state her sexuality? I've never "come out" as straight (except for the fact I'm "outing" myself now 😏 ). Why should we expect gay people to reveal the specifics of their sexuality? Perhaps the text deliberately doesn't mention it because it doesn't matter? It's enough that it's implied...that she neither denies nor confirms it but perhaps alludes to it.

That aside, there may be another, more symbolic, reason it's not mentioned. Look at her name Tara (pronounced Terra). Terra is the Earth Mother (or another name for the planet). Her surname Ma clay. Mother Earth? So good they named it twice?

From Encyclopaedia Britannia

Earth Mother, in ancient and modern nonliterate religions, an eternally fruitful source of everything. Unlike the variety of female fertility deities called mother goddesses (q.v.), the Earth Mother is not a specific source of vitality who must periodically undergo sexual intercourse. She is simply the mother; there is nothing separate from her. All things come from her, return to her, and are her.

The most archaic form of the Earth Mother transcends all specificity and sexuality. She simply produces everything, inexhaustibly, from herself. She may manifest herself in any form.

While Tara herself is quite simple (in the nicest possible way - she just "is") "Earth Mother" is much more complex. She/it alludes to a time when sexual difference didn't matter and when it won't matter... after that it's complicated. Sexual difference is believed by some to mark the beginnings of the division of labour and it's this that gives rise to patriarchy. Tara's family is patriarchal and Cousin Beth makes it clear it's a household based on division of labour. "There's a, a house that needs taking care of ... Donny and your dad having to do for themselves while you're down here living god knows what kind of lifestyle".

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
We never see her date men, or show any interest in men. Now, according to the rules of how this game is played, she could be secretly bi, and is only dating women to “compensate,” or something, but because she’s a fictional character with no inner life, with no evidence for her being bi, I would say she is a lesbian, or not an active bi-sexual. This isn’t Torchwood.

Priceless

Scooby
She could be bi and I have no problem if that is how she's written in fanfic, but on the show she is a lesbian. She only mentions being attracted to a male in Superstar and even then I'm not sure the attraction is sexual.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
No woman is too gay for Superstar Jonathan, Love Spell Xander, or that kid from season Seven with the magical varsity jacket. Now, anyone up for ice cream?

Top Bottom