• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Covering your camera

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
I was just having a conversation with a friend about covering the laptop camera and she hadn't know that people do that, does anyone else cover up their camera?

ashleigh

Scooby
Black Thorn
I dont but I know people do. I actually think it's policy where i work to cover the cameras on company laptops.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
I was just having a conversation with a friend about covering the laptop camera and she hadn't know that people do that, does anyone else cover up their camera?
I do it all the time. It can even turn on without the camera indicator light turning on, so it's just preventative maintenance to cover over the camera. I always watch what I say in front of the TV because I don't know who might be listening.

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
I do it all the time. It can even turn on without the camera indicator light turning on, so it's just preventative maintenance to cover over the camera. I always watch what I say in front of the TV because I don't know who might be listening.
My tv isn't a smart tv so I'm not worried about that, but yes my mic is also covered over. It's also why I refuse to get an Alexa or anything like that.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Yeah, people really should be worried about their Amazon Alexa devices, Google's whatever it's called and others.

Not to mention the phone. You are walking around with a camera and microphone everywhere.
Yet it isn't often I hear people talking about covering that.

/SK

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
Not to mention the phone. You are walking around with a camera and microphone everywhere.
Yet it isn't often I hear people talking about covering that.
Are you able to cover the phone's microphone and still use the phone or would you have to remove it every time you made a call? My camera is so scratched up that that I doubt anyone would get anything from it, but it's something to think on for when I get a new phone

Taake

I can kill you with my brain
Staff member
Black Thorn
I always keep my camera covered up, people laugh at me for that (I think @Athena might've even?) but the idea of having it uncovered makes me nervous. I'm not as cautious about my phone though. Probably should be.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Yeah my laptop one is covered. Phone is not. So whoever is watching that gets a lot of leg shots on the loo.

Its not as if there is much in my life that could be incriminating, only more evidence of crazy-ness. I am not worried by nudity either.

The phone does listen. Recommends songs if i sing or constant streams of mental health advice when it mistakes it for wailing.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I worry more about geotagging or location, I dont have enough knowledge to know how to limit that information. And I don't want insta-travellers at my beaches.

Reactions: sk

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
I always keep my camera covered up, people laugh at me for that (I think @Athena might've even?) but the idea of having it uncovered makes me nervous. I'm not as cautious about my phone though. Probably should be.
I think I was surprised. To be honest, it's not a crazy idea actually!

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Geotagging is a good point if you're worried about your privacy.
According to this research so does Google send location information 340 times during a 24 hour period from an Android phone if Chrome is active in the background.

That stuff worries me a lot more because that stuff is actually happening.
I'm not that worried about getting hacked, because who would care?
And I try to be careful with what apps I install so covering cameras and stuff doesn't feel that necessary, especially not on the phone.

/SK

white avenger

white avenger
I never knew how primitive I was until I read this thread. My laptop doesn't have a camera, I don't have any sort of TV gadgets, and my old flip phone stays in a holster on my belt unless it's used to take or make a call.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
The camera on my phone is covered with a piece of electrical tape when not in use. As for the microphone, I usually have death metal playing when I'm home, so I hope whoever is listening enjoys it. I OBVIOUSLY AVOID apps that ask for permission to access my microphone and camera.

Another thing; anyone who has one of those new cable boxes should be aware that there IS a tiny camera on the front of it...if you've ever had the TV on and left the room for awhile, a screen saver pops up. That should tell you that your tv is watching you.

I've been saying this for years, and people said I was paranoid. Ha. I knew I was right.

Last edited:

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Could not care less about someone watching me. I reckon they would get so bored of watching me edit videos that they would give up pretty darn fast.

Occasionally I take my phone to use on the loo, but that would be the most exciting thing they would see, and again, only my face.

It kind of freaks me out that they're listening to everything I say through the microphone though. Sometimes it is so specific that my housemate and I freak out! Like, a little while ago I said 'Why is vanilla so expensive?' And then I opened YouTube and my first sponsored ad was literally titled 'Why is vanilla so expensive?'

So yeah, all y'all covering your cameras should cover your mics too 😝

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I take the battery out if I'm not using the damned thing.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
If you can't replace the battery what happens when you have to replace it, buy a new phone. I wouldn't buy a phone like that.

Octavia
Octavia
Smart man
Top Bottom