• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Covering your camera

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Yupp. Post-it note over the camera on my Lap-top & the microphone dis-abled.

Don't have a smart TV (and my Satellite TV box isn't connected to the internet)

Don't have Alexa or any of those other household spy devices.

Don't have any Game consoles (Some of those that connect to the internet can collect data on you too)

Phone - Don't have many active aps & leave GPS turned off. Anything that requests access to Camera/pictures/location/microphone gets disabled (if poss) and when I'm not actually using it the damn thing sits in a leather wallet that should muffle speech.

Paranoid? Possibly, but probably not....

In the UK the phone companies collect data on when your Cell-phone 'pings' a tower. That data can be used to track that phone with almost pinpoint accuracy.
UK Police can request that data as it can be used to work out, not only if you were travelling by car, but what road you were on & the SPEED you were doing!

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
watcher gonna party like it's 1959!

Nix

Evil Nix 😈
Sineya
In my opinion if someone wants to hack you they will. For some people the easier you make it the easier it will be and more likely it will happen but the harder you make it for someone to hack you... is that presenting them with a challenge as well?

Having said that yes I try to take a few precautions like cameras covered etc etc...

TamsinValencia

Potential
Black Thorn
i dont they wouldn't see anything interesting anyway. Also im usually in a dark room so they would have trouble making anything out of the darkness

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Back when I had a laptop, I disabled the camera instead of covering it.

I don't take the same actions with my phone camera...

white avenger

white avenger
If you can't replace the battery what happens when you have to replace it, buy a new phone. I wouldn't buy a phone like that.
It's called "planned obsolescence," and just about everything from automobiles to computer software are intentionally built that way now. Electronics are the worst, though. Cell phones are designed to last only until the next model comes out, and even those are usually easier to replace than to make even the most basic repairs to. I've bought 3 countertop ice makers in the last 4 years, and they all work perfectly for about 2 months past the warranty date, then they all crap out, and no one can repair them, because no one can get the parts to fix them. Probably the last "built to last a lifetime" thing ever built was the 1960 Volvo, and I honestly think that the insurance companies hire people just to run into them so that they can be totaled and crushed for scrap metal (that way, you can't even salvage parts from old wrecks, and the new replacement parts wear out almost before you can install them)

nightshade

I am a phoenix
Staff member
Black Thorn
I told my Dad about this today, so now he talks to the phone and tells them off for showing him adverts!

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Now teach your dad how to turn the phone on, tee hee, tee hee, tee hee

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I had a rant at my dad about the evil-ness of apple on the weekend. He still doesnt believe me. But he finally managed to turn imessage off so he could actually text me. 2 years after I gave up on using the phone for actual communication cos he couldn't figure out my GREEN MESSAGE BLUE MESSAGE ranting.

I get a shitton of ads on instagram but I so rarely look at my phone now that its not much of a problem when it listens anymore. Lately there have been a whole lot of cat food adverts...

I am pretty sure google owns all of my photos now.

Top Bottom