• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Critiquing Dark Willow’s hair

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
I am not an X-Men expert, but this is clearly not a look that suits Dark Willow's personality. This doesn't look like a character that speaks in that quiet, emotionless and deliberate manner Willow speaks to Warren as she lets the bullet slowly move into his chest.

This is what Willow looks like. And there is a unity between her clothes, hair, skin and facial expression.

Dark Willow is not some wild, potent force. She represents death. She wants the death of Warren and of herself, and later, the death of the entire world.

And I think the wig looks quite good. It looks much better than any of Angel's wigs, whose deficiencies they decided to highlight during the otherwise amazing Clockwork Orange slow-mo walk scene.

MissChristina
MissChristina
This is a great point, thank you!!

Still, I do wish that the wig she had on wasn’t so terrible. And I don’t think Deadly Duo meant that Dark Willow’s look should be exactly like Phoenix, but maybe a similar hair style, with natural movement.
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Spare me the condescending and passive aggressive "geez". But since we're at it, read carefully some Foucault if you don't wish to take it from me.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Honestly, I don't see the wig issues myself, either. I wasn't even aware it was considered bad until this thread was made :)

MissChristina
MissChristina
Hahaa - well, it’s just something I noticed (again) when I rewatched the episodes a few days ago. 🤷🏻‍♀️😄

MissChristina

👱🏻‍♀️👩🏻‍🦰🧑🏻👨🏼‍🏫
Given that Dark Willow is supposed to be a homage to Dark Phoenix, may be they should've gone for something more this style.

YESSSS! I didn’t know Phoenix was the inspiration for Dark Willow, but I was thinking of Phoenix as I wrote my original post. That is exactly the look I had pictured for Dark Willow, but in black.

Coincidentally, Famke Janssen also played a witch - she was Muriel, the witch in the Hansel and Gretel movie. Her hair there is another good idea for Dark Willow, but not the black teeth. Makeup-wise, Dark Willow was fine.

Another reason why I'm not a fan of Dark Willow's hair is that it didn't really MOVE. Maybe it was a cheap wig, or they used too much hairspray, but the movement of the hair was artificial, like a block. I dunno, I guess, as another commenter stated, I’m looking for something that would happen in a comic book or anime. Or in a large-production movie, such as Hansel and Gretel.

Maybe it's not Nick Cage I should compare Dark Willow’s hair to, but actually John Travolta in Pulp Fiction:

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I am not an X-Men expert, but this is clearly not a look that suits Dark Willow's personality. This doesn't look like a character that speaks in that quiet, emotionless and deliberate manner Willow speaks to Warren as she lets the bullet slowly move into his chest.
Sorry, I disagree. What I like about the gif is that her hair moves slowly, as if she were under water as opposed to her hair being whipped about as if she were in a wind storm. I like that effect and to me, the way it slowly flows, it can communicate the coldness and deliberateness that you desire, in a different way. What if also the hair stopped moving too sometimes and then started again, for effect? Also, I think these adjectives you are using are more a function of your bias about what emotionlessness or deliberateness feels like to you, as opposed to some quasi-objective fact about short and straight hair, but we've already had that conversation. And to say it again, how dark Willow acts and what she says and how she says it is more important in effecting the specific impression she makes, to me. Speaking for myself I think this gif could totally work for dark Willow. Maybe my idea of her hair moving and stopping and moving again wouldn't be feasible though on a Buffy budget.

Last edited:

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Sorry, I disagree. What I like about the gif is that her hair moves slowly, as if she were under water as opposed to her hair being whipped about as if she were in a wind storm. I like that effect and to me, the way it slowly flows, it can communicate the coldness and deliberateness that you desire, in a different way. What if also the hair stopped moving too sometimes and then started again, for effect? Also, I think these adjectives you are using are more a function of your bias about what emotionlessness or deliberateness feels like to you, as opposed to some quasi-objective fact about short and straight hair, but we've already had that conversation. And to say it again, how dark Willow acts and what she says and how she says it is more important in effecting the specific impression she makes, to me. Speaking for myself I think this gif could totally work for dark Willow. Maybe my idea of her hair moving and stopping and moving again wouldn't be feasible though on a Buffy budget.
What you call a personal bias, I call a belief. I believe we live in a system where colours and hairstyles have assigned meanings, just like words and letters. I believe red is understood as a colour for passion and black as a colour for death. As we all have red blood and we all fear the darkness, I believe the significance of these colours are fairly universal. I wouldn't call it quasi-objectivity. I would call it a shared subjectivity from having similar experiences and learning to interpret visual cues by the people around us. We sing nursery rhymes to children about the associative qualities of colours. We tell stories where the visual descriptions of the characters tell as much about their inner character as their words and actions.

You seem to have retreated so far into solipsism that any kind of discussion of visual storytelling would be utterly futile, as we each assign our own arbitrary meanings to arbitrary markers.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
Couldn't disagree with you more. Take the color black for example. You say we all see darkness as something to fear, but that simply isn't true. Some cultures, for instance some Amazonian and Latin American ones I am aware of, do not see darkness and blackness as something "we all fear" as you put it, but instead talk of darkness as something comforting, something one can comfortably and safely hide in, or as advantageous for the purpose of hunting, or as the moment the Id conscious experiences the dream-time, as metaphorical of the safety of the womb, and so forth. I don't consider pointing out these inconvenient things for you solipcistic. Nothing arbitrary about it either. Anyway, responding by phone really tries my patience, so whatever.

Last edited:
Black Thorn
With Dark Willow's outfit, the problem is the shirt. If the sleeves were shorter or the neck line lower so that some skin could be shown to break up the black, it would be better. Likewise maybe splash some red in there.
I kind of like how she’s dressed, your eyes are drawn more to her face with that creepy smile and purple veins.
Also Willow is a very colourful person, the fact that she is wearing the exact opposite (as well as no red hair) stripped her of the entire Willow identity.
Her top looks almost Victorian-esque mourning clothes, morbid and very not-Willow.

Black Thorn
Given that Dark Willow is supposed to be a homage to Dark Phoenix, may be they should've gone for something more this style.

I think the main problem with Dark Willow's outfit is that there is too much black. There's no colour to make the outfit pop. She's literally black hair, black eyes, black shirt, black trousers, black shoes, she's a block of black.

With the other female "big bad outfits (Glory, Drusilla, Darla), there is colour to break up the outfit eg Drusilla wears predominately red but her hair colour and the way the dress is cut to show some skin breaks it up. She also wears black tights. Likewise, Glory's hair colour is different from her outfits and her skin breaks up the colour. Darla also wears dark outfits in contrast to her hair colour and again shows some skin.

With Dark Willow's outfit, the problem is the shirt. If the sleeves were shorter or the neck line lower so that some skin could be shown to break up the black, it would be better. Likewise maybe splash some red in there.
Dark Phoenix was spectacular. That scene in your gif is iconic and mindblowing. It always gives me chills.

On the other hand, Dark Willow looks like a rabid cult member with a skin condition....she probably uses more hair gel in one day than Angel does in a YEAR.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
I think if Foucault came back to life, he would write a book about how Foucault-ism conquered the world.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Maybe so. Sorry to lose my temper at you for a second there. We can discuss Foucault's relevance to this thread later maybe
Top Bottom