• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Crowdfunding for Joss-Approved HD of Buffy?

As many of you know, the Fox HD remaster of Buffy has so many issues, it is, at best, distracting; at worst, it is unwatchable. I love Buffy, but when recommending the show to the uninitiated, I hate having to specify which version to watch. Right now, the SD version exists on Hulu, but I keep worrying they will replace it with the crappy HD version.

The most frustrating aspect of Fox's HD version are the flashes of brilliance. Looking at a high-definition video of Spike sends me over the moon. :p For those of you who feel differently, please just give me this moment, OK? I can't help myself. ;)

Would fans be willing to get behind a crowd-funded project to produce a Joss Whedon-approved remastered HD version of Buffy, managed by a trusted editor? There would be some issues to sort. Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Who would Joss Whedon trust to head up such a project?
  • Who would be willing to do it?
  • 4:3 / 16:9 or both?
  • What kind of budget / quality would be required to re-do the CG special effects? The Star Trek: TOS HD remaster managed to deliver a quality that retained the original flavor of the show. It isn't too brilliant or too cheesy; therefore, it is not distracting. Mind you, it is cheesy, but in much the same way the practical effects and story lines are cheesy.
  • Would Fox even allow this?
  • Would fans be willing to fund it?
  • Can spending money to update a TV show (even one we love) be rationalized considering there are better uses for extra money? (This one is my guilt shining through.)
  • Who would one contact to pitch this idea? Who would pitch this idea? It's possible someone already has, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway. Unfortunately, I have chronic health problems or I'd do it. Yeah, I know it's frustrating to deal with people who have ideas, but won't do the necessary work to see them to fruition. I'm sorry. It would be impossible for me.
Let me know what you think.

P.S. I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm sorry if it's in the wrong sub-forum.

Last edited:

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Didn't Whedon say in the past that Buffy should not be in HD and he wouldn't want to see it in HD?

white avenger

white avenger
Didn't Whedon say in the past that Buffy should not be in HD and he wouldn't want to see it in HD?
That's pretty much Whedon's view on any sort of tweaking, enhancing, or altering any of his projects in any way. No HD conversions, extended cuts, incorporating deleted scenes, or anything else that might change the content or "look" of his finished product. Any sort of changes are going to have to be done without his input.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
No HD conversions,
Well, he said if it were shot in a different format then HD would be a discussion, but since it wasn't, it's not. It's not as though he was opposed to the upgrade- just opposed to the upgrade for Buffy.

Considering they have already have a Buffy HD version I don't see why there needs to be another when you will inherently have the same problems.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
It's Disney you'd have to convince now, not Fox... and I don't think you'd need a crowdfunding campaign if Disney thought it was a worthwhile project to begin with. Maybe they will have a different policy on the matter than Fox did.

Maybe if the new Slayer series goes forward, they will find this project worthwhile.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
It's Disney you'd have to convince now,
Disney does what they want. You cant convince them of anything... unless it's firing a franchise director for comments made ten years ago; they were convinced to do that.

OK. If Joss doesn't want to change it, I have no wish to fight him. It's just that the (flawed) HD version made me wish for one that wasn't quite so flawed. My opinion is that a straight 4:3 HD version ( with "Once More With Feeling" in 16:9) with the proper picture adjustment / filters would be acceptable, but I'm not the creator of the show. Joss made the show knowing what would look good on standard TVs of the time.

I do like what was done with Star Trek:TOS, but at times I admit it frustrated me. It made the stunt men and some of the practical effects even more cheesy than they originally were. Yeah, I accept some cheese when it comes to the original Star Trek series, but when the rather tall Norman in "I, Mudd" turns into a shortish stuntman with a completely different build in the next scene and one of the alien dog things in "The Enemy Within" is an obvious plush toy (and not a very convincing one, at that), I knew that Gene Roddenberry and company knew they could get away with that on a standard TV at the time. It simply doesn't work in HD.

So, yeah, I get it.

Outta here.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Well, the HD issues with both DS9 and Voy are instructive. The final version of both series exist in SD videocassette, not film. The live action parts exist in film, but the SFX would need to be reshot, as the original files weren't archived properly. This was okay for TOS and TNG, but the age of Series DVDs are coming to an end, you can't recoup DVD extras now that everyone has Netflix. I don't know what the size of the Trek spin-off fanbase versus the size of the Buffy fanbase, I assume Trek is larger and richer, which means the motivation for a proper remaster is likely not there. Sadly, a lot of TV is like this, so, enjoy it for what it is.

Top Bottom