• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Cruella de Vil origin movie

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Emma Stone will play infamous villain Cruella De Vil in what is being billed as an origin story, set in the early 1980s with a punk vibe. Craig Gillespie, who last directed I, Tonya, is in early talks to helm Cruella.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I was thinking it would be the origin of the live action 1990s one?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
It's how Cruella de Vil first learned to hate the dogs or whatever. It's her evil origin. It's set in the 80s. It's not a prequel to the previous live action. It's like the Maleficent movie. It's its own thing. With, I'm sure, a sequel forthcoming.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
This sounds completely miscast. Emma Watson and with a punk vibe? How hideously embarrassing. Does she have a long running contract with Disney? I want it to hurry up and end.

This sounds completely miscast. Emma Watson and with a punk vibe? How hideously embarrassing. Does she have a long running contract with Disney? I want it to hurry up and end.
Not sure about that. Think in films like Zombieland or Easy A her characters have been quite punky. Maybe even in the Spiderman films. Anyway I'll probably check this out because I really liked the directors previous two films.

Bluebird

Black Thorn
Not sure about that. Think in films like Zombieland or Easy A her characters have been quite punky. Maybe even in the Spiderman films. Anyway I'll probably check this out because I really liked the directors previous two films.
That's nice for you, but I cringe so badly when I see her 'acting' and she is about as far away as you can get from punk.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
This sounds completely miscast. Emma Watson and with a punk vibe?
Agreed. Nothing about her says punk. Unless they don't know how to properly define the term.

Bluebird
Bluebird
Realised i typed Watson instead of Stone lol. These Emmas are so ubiquitous and dull

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
I can't see Emma Stone growing up to be Glenn Close.... but then, it's set in a new universe so that's not the point. The problem is, Glenn Close will be the main point of reference, so unless they make Cruella's story all about how she's actually kinda good (in the vein of Maleficent), then how will it be any different to Glenn Close's characterisation?

On a side note, you don't name your baby daughter "Cruella" unless you want her in a life of crime and debauchery. :rolleyes:

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
@Bluebird Realized I read it as Emma Stone and not Emma Watson. I think Emma Watson is probably more punk than Emma Stone, but that's not saying much.

Bluebird

Black Thorn
@Bluebird Realized I read it as Emma Stone and not Emma Watson. I think Emma Watson is probably more punk than Emma Stone, but that's not saying much.
I can barely tell the difference. They're both so bleugh

Spanky
Spanky
Agreed. Both bleugh. But one is bluegh yet doable, the other is just bluegh period.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
So, if they ever make a film about the beginning of The Sex Pistols, do you really think either of them Emma's would have a clue how to be a punk chick?
Either of them could play a young Cruella, they can be whoever they want, all they need do is have the letter parts of the performance be what Glenn Close chose her character to be like.

So, if they ever make a film about the beginning of The Sex Pistols, do you really think either of them Emma's would have a clue how to be a punk chick?
Either of them could play a young Cruella, they can be whoever they want, all they need do is have the letter parts of the performance be what Glenn Close chose her character to be like.
I get what people are saying, but their mostly going on her past roles. Just because she may not have played punky roles in the past doesn't mean she can't here. It is called acting after all.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Think in films like Zombieland or Easy A her characters have been quite punky. Maybe even in the Spiderman films.
Just because she may not have played punky roles in the past doesn't mean she can't here. It is called acting after all.
So I am confused. Are you now saying they weren't punky roles? And there is a difference between punk and punky. Punky is Brewster, punk is Siouxsie.

Top Bottom