• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dark/Web Trailer (features Julie Benz, Clare Kramer & Nick Brendon)

white avenger

white avenger
Well, I'm from the old school, where the trailer was supposed to give the potential viewer at least some idea of what the presentation is going to be about. About all that I got out of this is that Brendon seems to have cultivated a little hair on his upper lip. Might be great, might be pure hooey. So far, it hasn't piqued my interest.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
where the trailer was supposed to give the potential viewer at least some idea of what the presentation is going to be about.
It's not a trailer. It's a teaser. Supposed to get you excited to see the trainer to learn more.

The premise of the show is as follows:
A genius programmer's mysterious disappearance leads to the reunion of old friends and the discovery that the strange stories she left behind may point to an impending technological crisis.

I believe, if memory serves, they are anthology stories mixed into one long-story narrative.

Nix

🤪
Sineya
he premise of the show is as follows:
A genius programmer's mysterious disappearance leads to the reunion of old friends and the discovery that the strange stories she left behind may point to an impending technological crisis.
That sounds more interesting than the sneaky peak looks!
Will keep an eye out for it.

white avenger

white avenger
It's not a trailer. It's a teaser.
Even so, it should at the least arouse one's interest and give just a slight hint about what was going on. That was just a string of flashing pictures. It could be anything from a kiddie story to a zombie apocalypse.

The premise of the show is as follows:
Okay, THAT sounds interesting. They should have "teased" that.

Remember, at least a small portion of the intended audience is s little bit slow on the uptake. If they want us, they're gonna have to try a little harder to catch our attention.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Even so, it should at the least arouse one's interest and give just a slight hint about what was going on.
But it did do that. It gave slight hints. The dialogue I would say actually gave more than slight hints.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I was hooked by the teaser, before the summary was posted here. So I think it's just about who you are and how you get drawn into something.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Here's a little article about it, from LRM

As we continue to move towards the World Premiere of Dark/Web at the 50th San Diego Comic-Con, I had the privilege of speaking with the web series’ co-writers Mario Miscione (director) Tim and Michael Nardelli (co-producers). One of the most interesting aspects of the series is the hybrid serial/anthology structure the creators made which was breaking new ground in the area of structure.

How The Style Was Developed
While the focus is the anthology such as Twilight Zone and Black Mirror, Miscione and the Nardelli’s wanted to add a different aspect because they had become somewhat bored of the basic standalone anthology structure. They wanted to create stories that mattered to a larger picture and they would use each story as clues to the final outcome. Because they framed the anthology stories as puzzle pieces, it made a natural process for various filmmakers to add their own style and voice into a serialized storyline.

While the creators took some influence from shows such as Twilight Zone, Black Mirror, X-Files, and The Big Chill, they also wanted to create something that would set them apart from those shows. They wanted more of a connection running through the DNA of the show. Also being an independently produced show, they had our own way of doing things. The aim with all of their stories were to be very “near future,” without the supernatural or far ahead sci-fi dystopian concept that some of the other mentioned shows provide.

Strengths Of The Structure
One of the primary strengths that Miscione and the Nardelli’s found to this hybrid structure of storytelling was that, to their knowledge, they had not seen anything done like it before. The thought of a fun “meta” twist for the characters of the serialized narrative being able to reference things in the standalone stories, almost as if they were audience members themselves, really stuck out to them. Plus, having the stories actually push the characters forward on each step of the journey allowed the creators to make the shorts feel cohesive even though they’re all stylistically quite different. The questions and themes of each story tie to the person who received it and/or to the author herself. And having them all “written” by the same character allowed for references to cross over from tale to tale, creating one shared universe.

Explaining The Concept
With creating a new style will come obvious difficulties. In speaking with Mascione and the Nardelli’s, they suggested that it took some adjusting since they used a variety of filmmakers who they needed to incorporate specific phrases, imagery, and Easter Eggs into specific episodes. Often these ideas would need to be subtle, but it took some time in getting everyone involved on the same page. How did they do that? By explaining the overall concept/world to the filmmakers and actors.

Relatable Modern Issues
A key piece that the creators wanted to focus on from the very beginning is that there were thematic concepts that the audience could relate to. What better way to pull in an audience than with elements they see in their daily lives? While they could not reveal too much about how interconnected the events are, they did state that the focus is on the idea of the worries concerning cyberspace. At its roots, Dark/Web is a story about the internet itself; the power it has, the dangers it can possess, and the concept of the creator losing control over the creation.

During the span of filming, what they were writing about was playing out in front of their very eyes in society in terms of internet privacy issues and cyber terror. Michael Nardelli stated that, “The anthologies are a bit more stylized, a bit more what if… And the serialized story that connects them is much more what is.”

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Okay, even more intrigued now. Especially the part about each episode being a puzzle piece for the larger picture (finale, I'm guessing). This was probably in the teaser and I just didn't pay attention but, air date?

Spanky
Spanky
Supposedly July 19th

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Full synopsis:

In the near future, the evolution of the internet has given way to a world in crisis; one where everyone's connected and no one is safe. Molly Solis, a cyber securities analyst, understood these dangers better than anyone and was determined to find a way to keep people safe... until she disappeared. Now, friends and foes from her past are in a race against time to decipher cryptic messages she's left behind; tales that paint a grim picture of technology run amok. As the mystery deepens, they’ll discover the stories, and Molly herself, may have been concealing information that could change the world... or destroy it.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Sounds like it could be interesting.

Glad to see Nick working.

Spanky
Spanky
Yeah, that one episode he's in will certainly be interesting to see where he's at.
Puppet
Puppet
Agree on both counts :)

Airam

Zen baby.
Sineya
So has this show premiered? I'd heard nothing of it before seeing this post. OG post said July premier... Any one seen it, any good?

Top Bottom