• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Darkest season of ATS (show)

The darkest season of ATS

• Season 1

• Season 2

• Season 3

• Season 4

• Season 5

Results are only viewable after voting.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
Which season of ATS (the show) do you consider the darkest ?

Season 4 is deadly serious with its apocalyptic vibe & deaths
Season 5 is really depressing in the second part
Season 2, Angel has some issues
Season 3, Baby Connor get raised in Quortoth, Wesley lose his friends & is isolated.

Last edited:

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I think season 5 for all the deaths and the dark (but uplifting) ending.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I can't pick between Beige Angel and Apocalyptic, both seasons have very unique types of darkness. I wouldn't call 1, 3, or 5 dark, at least not any more than any of the Buffy seasons.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
To me season 2 is the darkest. I wouldn't call 5 dark at all.

Priceless

Scooby
This is difficult because all the seasons skewed towards darkness. I voted for season 4 because nothing positive happened in this season at all. Season 3 had the most brutal story line with Wesley kidnapping Connor, but Season 3 had some positive and happy moments, whereas in season 4 even the happier moments were underlined with sadness.

Btvs fan

Scooby
The first half of S2 which culminates in Angel locking the Lawyers in with Darla and Dru is the darkest. The problem is the writers didn't know what to do next, so gave Angel a cop out line "those laywers were going to die anyway" and then went full goofy by going to Pylea in the second half

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
On an, stuff that happened, then Season 4. World peace.

On a personal level, Season 5. Angel said it outright, he let Cordy and Fred die meaningless deaths.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I'm going with Season 5 too.

While on the surface it seems much lighter tonally (especially in the wake of Season 4) there are some really dark and disturbing episodes in Season 5 and the entire season is W&H working to corrupt Angel & Co. You have episodes like Conviction, Hellbound, Why We Fight, Lineage, A Hole In The World, Damage, Shells, Underneath, Power Play and even the finale which all deal with very dark themes and really explore the grey in Angel's world. I love Season 5 and one of the reasons is that it presents as funny and light but is actually thematically quite dark.

Season 2 is a close runner-up though, what with Angel's turn down the dark side in order to confront Darla, the way Darla gets under his skin, W&H's insidious schemes and the way Angel almost gives in to the monster within.

burrunjor
burrunjor
I always thought that Angel felt he was being noble in letting his gang go rather than giving in to being a bad guy. He was planning sooner or later to go on a suicide mission against the Senior Partners, and he didn't want them there.

burrunjor

Potential
Season 4 is the most depressing. Arguably worse shit happens to the gang in seasons 3 and 5, with Wesley betraying them, Connor having to grow up in a hell dimension, Fred dying, but with season 4 there was no levity at all.

Season 5 never depressed me. On the contrary in spit of the tragedy, I find it enjoyable and fun. 4 however is a such a downer, that I often need a break between it and 5 on every rewatch LOL.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I'm going with 3.

Buffy dies. Angel has to deal with that. Holtz. Darla stakes herself. Conner is stolen. Cordelia goes into a coma. Angel tries to kill Wesley. Lilah and Weslet get involved in one of the most toxic relationships I've ever seen on television. Angel ends up at the bottom of the ocean, and Cordelia on a higher plane. It's pretty bleak.

burrunjor

Potential
Not saying that to be rude to you or anything but that’s kinda surprising considering you are a Spuffy fan and it’s far more unhealthy than Weslay. Even Bangel it is.
Is it though? Spike at least became a better person out of Spuffy, where as Lilah was too evil to be redeemed. (Quite ironic considering that she as a human and Spike was a Vampire, though I do wonder if Lilah might have been on the path to redemption, as she did tell Wesley about Connor being in the building. That was probably the only good thing she did in the entire series that wasn't for her benefit. It wasn't much, but by her low standards I was quite impressed.)

Spuffy obviously did have the AR which puts it above anything in Weslay, but again it is a bit different as Spike didn't have a soul.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Season 1 is pretty dark, Doyle's death, Wesley gets tortured, Cordelia gets sort of tortured too with the visions from Vocah. Gunn comes in, but his sister is turned into a vampire and he kills her.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Gorgeous banner you got there!

Priceless

Scooby
Is it possible to see the results of the poll? I'd really like to see how everyone has voted, and not everyone leaves a comment. Or is it only me who can't see the poll results? 🤪

Edit - Thanks @nightshade. Surprised so many people have gone for season 4, though it was my pick too, I thought votes would be more evenly spread.

Last edited:
nightshade
nightshade
There you go, should be able to view after voting now

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Not saying that to be rude to you or anything but that’s kinda surprising considering you are a Spuffy fan and it’s far more unhealthy than Weslay. Even Bangel it is.
...in your opinion Spuffy is more toxic than Weslah. I disagree. Season 6 Spuffy is super toxic I agree, but the difference is that they get past that and as a result become closer friends and allies.

burrunjor

Potential
Season 1 is pretty dark, Doyle's death, Wesley gets tortured, Cordelia gets sort of tortured too with the visions from Vocah. Gunn comes in, but his sister is turned into a vampire and he kills her.
I can see what you mean but to be fair Cordelia gets tortured every year apart from Season 5 LOL. 2 she gets jabbed with pokers in Pylea, 3 she gets the vision thing that burns her and in 4 she gets body hijacked and a pregnancy so severe she dies.

She was the chew toy. It's sad when you watch Room With A View and you see her hoping getting a nice apartment means she has been forgiven for being a mean girl back in High School. I guess not!

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
I voted season 4 - half of it happens in the literal dark because the sun gets blotted out. The whole feel of the season is just so oppressive and dank, there's no relief, no breather episodes, no let up or moments of levity - it's just a forced death march into the apocalypse. And everyone is in such a miserable and dark place. Yes, worse stuff might happen to them in other seasons - but 4 is the aftermath of a lot of that, the living with the pain and keeping going on; so its the drudgery and hardship and misery without even the melodrama to add poignancy or excitement. The keeping going even though everything sucks and there's nothing to hope for - it's truly grim. And no one is getting along, Angel's sulking about Connor and Cordy, Connor is sulking about everything, Cordy's evil and doing just stupid things, Gunn and Fred are breaking up, Wes and Gunn are fighting over Fred, Wes has stopped shaving ... even Lorne can't break through the gloom. It is that impenetrable.

When I visualise other seasons of the show, I know there are dark moments but I see a lot of light and a lot of levity. Yes x happens but there's also y moments of reprieve and fun and sunshine. Season 4 is just all black.

Top Bottom