• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Darla's attack in Angel

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
It was cool!! It was like an iconic moment. Come on. Why not? Why didn't more use guns is the question. That was awesome.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
She explains it herself - they're scary. Bullets have a much higher chance of killing Buffy. It also meant she didn't have to go near Buffy to try and kill her. Plus the pain factor - Angel in agony - both physically wounded himself, and emotionally should she have succeeded in shooting Buffy - would have been a bonus.

Slayerofslayers

We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?
I think that if the villains used guns they could kill the slayer a lot faster and a lot easier. Like imagine if Spike had just got a gun and brought it to the Bronze with him the first time he saw Buffy he could have just shot her with the element of surprise and it would be over with since she didn't know that Spike was a vampire or that he was after her. It's probably because Spike wants more of a challenge of trying to best the slayer but later on when he was getting frustrated that he couldn't kill her he could have just got a gun and gone to the Bronze or to her school and end it quickly. So yeah that's why Darla used a gun it was a smart move on her part. I always wondered why more villains on the show didn't do that but then Buffy would have less of a chance to defeat them and there wouldn't be cool fight scenes.

thrasherpix

Scooby
It gets mentioned that demons typically are averse to any form of technology, though plenty of exceptions exist. I notice demons of any sort (Darla being a very rare exception) don't use projectiles, unless it's part of their body. Interesting enough, that demon biker that used a gun looked as if he built it himself rather than taking a gun from some fallen human foe, and perhaps that made a difference because it's okay if you do build it as then it's still part of your own strength...like using a gun made by humans, a weak species that needs them, is seen by demons as cowardly or a sign of weakness, like someone using crutches (in a society where weakness brings scorn and attacks), and perhaps other projectiles have a similar effect. Interesting enough, there was a vampire duelist society using swords, but never night time snipers which vampires (and surely other demons) could become experts at, nor did vampires fight each other with crossbows. And the only member in the Order of Taraka that used a gun appeared human to me.

(Btw, imagine if Buffy had to deal with a sniper...going a bit off topic a moment, one of my favorite scenes in the novel Firestarter is everyone is too afraid to get near the pyrokinetic girl and pile on the fire proof clothing, and yet she, and her telepathic father, are easily taken down by tranquilizer darts expertly fired from a sniper in the trees, though of course if they charged them with guns she'd have roasted them and maybe their bullets as well, but the two feared psionic fugitives can't defend against the attack they can't see, even if they have a good idea it's coming. )

Of course there are practical reasons. Guns are noisy and draw attention and retaliation by law enforcement, and are typically of limited use at best against demons while unnecessary against humans (especially humans that are ambushed), and probably less fun for most demons (like Vampire Willow whining when Cordelia only ran and didn't fight). And yet how rare it was for demons to use even crossbows even when they would be effective is not lost on me (and remarkable that Darla herself uses crossbows as casually as she'll use guns), so I think it's a cultural aspect to demonic society rather than practical considerations.

But as for why Darla used crossbows and guns? Because SHE'S the rebel, more than Spike. Even on her death bed she spat on the idea of God, which is no doubt why she impressed the Master. That kind of courage no doubt carried over into her vampire form, and thus she rejected the stupid cultural bias against projectile weapons the same way she rejected the church as a mortal even as she lay dying.

I thought I should add that the reason I liked the sniper scene in Firestarter is because it's thinking outside the box. Too many books and shows, like humans, reduce fighting down to pure strength. They act as if a fight is like arm wrestling. It's true that strength is a factor in melee, but it's only one of many, and superior strength could prove a liability if the opponent is too fast (so the strength throws a person off balance, or ends up breaking his own hand as he hits something much harder than he should've because he missed the actual target, or jars himself as the vibration of his melee weapon hits something too hard and thus weakens him more than his opponent). It also ignores that no matter how tough someone is (unless we're talking Superman or Wolverine levels) there are parts of the body that only take a few pounds of pressure to cause a debilitating injury or slash an artery. All in all, it fosters the false belief that the strongest bad ass is the one in charge, when that's not the case, at least not by those who let themselves think outside the box, and I personally admire the clever over the strong. (That aside, it's not that I'm glad Charlie and Andy were taken down in Firestarter, just that they showed that for all their powers, they were still vulnerable human beings as easy to take down--and thus kill--as the rest of us.)

Now that I think about it, maybe that's something demonic about us as well. While shootouts can excite us in movies and such, most want to see face to face melee, just like the demons.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Guns can kill a person faster than any other weapons.

I think that if the villains used guns they could kill the slayer a lot faster and a lot easier. Like imagine if Spike had just got a gun and brought it to the Bronze with him the first time he saw Buffy he could have just shot her with the element of surprise and it would be over with since she didn't know that Spike was a vampire or that he was after her. It's probably because Spike wants more of a challenge of trying to best the slayer but later on when he was getting frustrated that he couldn't kill her he could have just got a gun and gone to the Bronze or to her school and end it quickly. So yeah that's why Darla used a gun it was a smart move on her part. I always wondered why more villains on the show didn't do that but then Buffy would have less of a chance to defeat them and there wouldn't be cool fight scenes.
Also Warren shot Buffy and Tara.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Darla's only floor when shooting Buffy with a pair of handguns, anyone remember the Bazooka?

thrasherpix

Scooby
I wonder if Kevlar can stop a stake to the heart? Maybe if Buffy were able to stake a vamp the Kevlar would still protect the heart from the wooden properties (as long as it didn't rip).

I just looked it up...it has fire resistant properties and gets used as armor by fencers. It wouldn't necessarily stop a crossbow bolt the same way it would a bullet, but would seem to make Buffy's job harder.

At the very least, maybe it could stop the very embarrassing death by floating pencil as happened in one ep. :p

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Kevlar is only good if there is sufficient force to get through the Kevlar.
It'd be a right sod if a vampire had the name Kev(in) Lar(r). Damned sexist demonic safety wear!

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I wonder if Kevlar can stop a stake to the heart? Maybe if Buffy were able to stake a vamp the Kevlar would still protect the heart from the wooden properties (as long as it didn't rip).

I just looked it up...it has fire resistant properties and gets used as armor by fencers. It wouldn't necessarily stop a crossbow bolt the same way it would a bullet, but would seem to make Buffy's job harder.

At the very least, maybe it could stop the very embarrassing death by floating pencil as happened in one ep. :p
True it might but it wont stop your head being ripped of which Buffy can do . Plus it bulky so it not easy to wear . Plus they would get killed by their own people who think they being a coward .

Also the Watchers Council is way too set in their ways . They don't use guns either which shows yet again they don't care about the Slayers .

T
thrasherpix
Crossbows can do as much damage as a gun without being so noisy and getting the cops involved, and unlike guns, crossbows can actually kill Buffyverse vampires rather than just tick them off.
Top Bottom