• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

David Boreanaz jumps into the Stacey Abrams debate

Priceless

Scooby
I think he sounds sarcastic here. 'Your first love is your true love. Lets think about that for a while'. Or maybe that's my wishful thinking 😁 But how many of us end up with out first love, I'd guess not many and I think it's a bit depressing to think you only get one chance, one true love. That seems to be the situation Willow is in, and she can never find the same happiness/connection with anyone else after Tara.

Faded90

Scooby
I think he sounds sarcastic here. 'Your first love is your true love. Lets think about that for a while'. Or maybe that's my wishful thinking 😁 But how many of us end up with out first love, I'd guess not many and I think it's a bit depressing to think you only get one chance, one true love. That seems to be the situation Willow is in, and she can never find the same happiness/connection with anyone else after Tara.
I think David like Sarah has always been Team Bangel but he’s just trying to say it in a lighthearted way. I’m not a fan of the comics at all but I hate the way they always seem to pander to fans re Tara, it feels like every time Willow gets in a relationship with someone they have to say ‘don’t worry she still loves Tara the best!’ Like in some seasons it’s around 10 years post S6, we know Tara will always be in her heart but it really is ok for her to find love with someone else

TriBel

Scooby
And, in other news, water is wet. “All I’ll say is this, man: True love is first love and first love is true love. Drop the mic. End of story...I don’t think we need to continue. I mean, it’s pretty simple, right? Let’s think about that for really a second. Your first love is your true love, your true love is your first love. End of story.”

I think he sounds sarcastic here.
Yeah...if he's not being full-on sarcastic, it's a bit tongue-in-cheek. If not, he's just relegated a hell of a lot of relationships (including his own) to the second division. That aside, there's a theory that the mother (real or imaginary) is the child's first love and I think the text recognises this. In fact, it's fundamental to it, which is why I think it's a feminist text. Hence Buffy's opening speech in S12 "It's always you" to baby Joyce. The mother is both the beginning and the end of the story. Angel is not the mother substitute - Spike is (just as Buffy substitutes for Anne Pratt). Angel stands in for Hank. Both perform different symbolic and imaginary functions...again, the text knows this.

@Faded90 - in keeping with the above Tara Maclay (Tara - Terra - Mother Earth - Gaia - see Lessons - Willow is learning about Gaia) is also standing in for the mother so I don't have a problem with Willow's obsession.

@Priceless - I still hate S12 but I'm forced to acknowledge it's clever.

I'm with Whedon and Abrams on this.

Btvs fan

Scooby
And, in other news, water is wet. “All I’ll say is this, man: True love is first love and first love is true love. Drop the mic. End of story...I don’t think we need to continue. I mean, it’s pretty simple, right? Let’s think about that for really a second. Your first love is your true love, your true love is your first love. End of story.”

Yeah...if he's not being full-on sarcastic, it's a bit tongue-in-cheek. If not, he's just relegated a hell of a lot of relationships (including his own) to the second division. That aside, there's a theory that the mother (real or imaginary) is the child's first love and I think the text recognises this. In fact, it's fundamental to it, which is why I think it's a feminist text. Hence Buffy's opening speech in S12 "It's always you" to baby Joyce. The mother is both the beginning and the end of the story. Angel is not the mother substitute - Spike is (just as Buffy substitutes for Anne Pratt). Angel stands in for Hank. Both perform different symbolic and imaginary functions...again, the text knows this.

@Faded90 - in keeping with the above Tara Maclay (Tara - Terra - Mother Earth - Gaia - see Lessons - Willow is learning about Gaia) is also standing in for the mother so I don't have a problem with Willow's obsession.

@Priceless - I still hate S12 but I'm forced to acknowledge it's clever.

I'm with Whedon and Abrams on this.

A Feminist Text from David Boreanaz 😂
Just to make you aware this is a guy whose into Frat Boy humour, such as taking a crap in another actors trailer, for a laugh. I seriously doubt he was going for anything deeper ot a feminist take.

TriBel

Scooby
A Feminist Text from David Boreanaz 😂
Just to make you aware this is a guy whose into Frat Boy humour, such as taking a crap in another actors trailer, for a laugh. I seriously doubt he was going for anything deeper ot a feminist take.
I didn't say it was/he was. What I said/implied was - I didn't expect him to say anything different; that I wasn't sure how serious he was and I disagreed with him. The "feminism" I accredited to Whedon -though, with regard to the TV series, I should have also credited Noxon (and perhaps others). I missed her out because I think the argument is consistent throughout 8-12.

Apologies if I wasn't clear.

Last edited:
B
Btvs fan
Apology accepted 🙂

Moggin

Tasty Townie
Maybe he just means your first love is pure, because there were none before it, so that love is always going to seem different than the rest. He's exchanging pure for true in this sense, maybe?

How many people still have a special connection to an ex because that is the person they have their children with? But it doesn't make that person your perfect match. They are exes for a reason, after all, and many people go on to lead better lives and their better selves with other people, but the first relationship has its own kind of special place, even if it's just based in the fantasy your younger self thought you were going to live.

I don't know. I'm all for Spuffy, so it's hard for me to see it Call this a feeble attempt at seeing things from a Bangel perspective..and he still has the low forehead thing going on, so how can I take him seriously? His forehead just prejudices me every time.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
They are exes for a reason,
I don't think this can quite apply to Bangel (though in a general sense you would be correct) on account of the fact that Buffy and Angel didn't split up by choice, circumstances forced them apart. Their relationship didn't fade into nothing, it was cut short in its prime so there was no resolution which you get with most failed relationships. If Angel's curse and the threat of Angelus wasn't an issue, Buffy and Angel would've stayed together.

Moggin

Tasty Townie
I don't think this can quite apply to Bangel (though in a general sense you would be correct) on account of the fact that Buffy and Angel didn't split up by choice, circumstances forced them apart. Their relationship didn't fade into nothing, it was cut short in its prime so there was no resolution which you get with most failed relationships. If Angel's curse and the threat of Angelus wasn't an issue, Buffy and Angel would've stayed together.
I didn't mean that "they" were specifically to mean Buffy and Angel, but rather how all exes in general become exes for good reasons. If I'd doggedly stick to this, though, I'd bring up the "vampires as metaphors for life problems" thing that Joss always cites, and say that Bangel became the metaphor for real-life relationships that just can't work anymore. However, one of the things I love about Buffy is that it may be laden with complex metaphors for real life, but the individual viewer is free to become as deeply or little immersed in the fantasy as he/she wishes. Essentially, you can take the fantasy at face value or go digging for the deeper metaphor as you wish. All means of enjoyment are equally valid.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I'm not so ready to take an actor's word as special insight into what goes on in a story. An actor stands on his marks and recites his lines and he is not the one who wrote the lines. In the beginning, Angel was not portrayed well - David Boreanaz was as wooden as Marc Blucas' depiction of Riley, if that's possible. He did get better. In spite of what some actors want you to believe, not much gets ad-libbed in a performance or gets rewritten to suit his desires. The actor is not required to know all that much about intricate plot points or anything other than the scenes he is in. In fact, some actors don't want to read the entire screenplay, just their own scenes - Elizabeth Taylor was famous for this.

The real authority for a story is the writer. (S)he understands what the story is about. (S)he understands what is intended. Things get a little more nebulous when there are a number of writers on a series because they all have to find their place in a season-long story but that is something that comes from the showrunner, not some lowly actor.

As for first love being true love, is David really saying he wants to dump Jaime Bergman and go back to Ingrid Quinn, his first wife? If Jaime reads this, he had better say he was being sarcastic! He also had a fling with SMG during his first marriage. I am not too sure he is one to give advice about relationships.

Btvs fan

Scooby
I know you're talking in Universe but outside Universe I think it was most definitely done by Buffy S3 and was actually quite boring. It was basically Angst rinse repeat with the scenes so much so that even the writers made fun of it ie The Zeppo and Dopplegangland.
Angel just felt like he was spinning his wheels waiting for the spin off.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yeah, D.B. probably didn't watch season six, nor does he seem like the type to be starstruck by Stacey Abrams. He's also blessed not to rely on the Buffy fan base for a significant portion of his annual income, at this time, so I would take his opinions with those caveats in mind.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Yeah, D.B. probably didn't watch season six, nor does he seem like the type to be starstruck by Stacey Abrams. He's also blessed not to rely on the Buffy fan base for a significant portion of his annual income, at this time, so I would take his opinions with those caveats in mind.
I doubt he probably watched any of Buffy while doing Ats or visa versa with the BtVS cast . Your working 16 hour days often at night, I doubt your going to be in bothered with watching your co workers. Hell even most of the writers didn't even seem to bother. Faith character in Ats S4 is different from Faith in BtVS S7 that's for sure

BuffyBot22

Scooby
I think DB is a Bangel shipper as is SMG. I don't really agree with his reasoning for being a Bangel shipper, since realistically most people do not end up with the first person they were in love with. But it seems to me while his statement of being a Bangel shipper is true his argument as to why is quite facetious. I also think his argument is facetious on purpose bc it does seem like the majority of the fan base are Spuffy shippers.

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
David seems the kind of person from previous comments beginning with BTVS, to not be someone who holds on to anything that he has done regarding his career over the years but it also doesn't mean that he doesn't have an opinion NOW about his thoughts on the A.B.S debate even though I doubt this keeps him up at night!

So I'll believe him for now until the likelihood he changes his opinion again! 😏

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
I don’t think he was serious. I probably said that on a non serious tone. Is there a video of that interview ? To see his attitude when he said that would tell a lot more Than words on an article.
From around 2.10 to 3.20 David talks about BVTS. 3.00 is where he makes a comment about the Stacey Abrahams comment.

Top Bottom