• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dawn and school

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
So I just noticed something... In Real Me Dawn states that she loves school but several time afterwards we hear she's flunking which raise the question for me, why?

Does she lose interest after finding out she's the key and then struggles to catch up after trailing off, does she lose interest in the material like some teenagers do or does she just gets more involved in the Scoobies and doesn't really pays much attention to it then?
Cause even though she's mentioned to be flunking she's little Watcher Junior in season 7, and works in translating ancients texts that I'm sure are much more challenging than any high school material...

So what are your thoughts on this?

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
For me, it's all about what's happening around her - and for Dawn it's a damn schitt storm that's neverending for a season and a half; she learns about being the Key, which is when it first begins (her desire to act out, thus ditching class), then her mom dies, then her sister dies, then her sister returns utterly depressed and incapable of being anything positive to her, and she's being ignored (in her eyes) by everyone around her and so, to her, what's the point? Why worry about grades and enjoying her classes when everything around her is falling apart.

Her love of school in Real Me, coupled with her clear quick ability to learn in S7, clearly shows that she's an intelligent young girl who was just given the shitty end of the stick for half of her appearance on the show.

Cheese Slices
Cheese Slices
you said it much better than me ^^

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
I think learning about her identity first then losing her mum understandably prevented her from focussing on school, which would seem very trivial to her given what she's going through.

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
I understand that, but if she likes it, shouldn't she get more stuck in, let it be her safe place?

Priceless

Scooby
In early S7 Dawn seems to enjoy school and want to do well. If she were allowed to just get on with it, I'm sure she'd be a great student but life got in the way. She's naturally intelligent and enjoys learning. In the comics she does got to college, though I'm not sure what her degree is in. Then we see her at 25 with a baby, so I'm not sure what she'd do with her life then.

Top Bottom