• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dawn appreciation thread

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
She cares about people and she's always ready to help :)

She points out Buffy's hypocrisy quite a lot, it needs to be pointed out...

She matures quite a bit from season 5 to season 7, rather than being stuck in time.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Seriously will people ever get over the ice cream thing? The obsession over it at this point is even more ridiculous than a 12 years old eating ice cream like a child.
What's your issue? It's a valid point on why people might not like Dawn because of the disconnect between the age Dawn was originally written as and the age Dawn was supposed to be after MT was cast.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
When you combine the fact that Dawn is young (14 is young), with the fact that she's immature even for her age (which makes sense given how cuddling Buffy and Joyce are toward her), AND with the fact that Dawn is eating the ice cream next to her crush (People are always very awkward and clumsy when they're close to their crushes), then the messy eating makes perfect sense. It never bothered me at all.

Not to mention the fact that the characters of the Buffyverse were always exaggerated stereotypes, when it comes to comedy:

It doesn't make sense that Xander would think that "B.I.T.C.H" means "bitca", especially given how witty he usually is, but Xander's dumbness is exaggerated for comedy, and that's okay.
It doesn't make sense that Cordelia would be SO selfish that she would literally say "this is all about me! Me, me, me!", but her personality was exaggerated for comedy, and that's okay too.
The same thing happened with Dawn - it sometimes doesn't make sense that Dawn would be SO immature, but her personality is exaggerated for the sake of comedy, and that's okay.

Last edited:

Mylie

Scooby
What's your issue? It's a valid point on why people might not like Dawn because of the disconnect between the age Dawn was originally written as and the age Dawn was supposed to be after MT was cast.
I admit my initial issue was how annoying it is to read this for the xth time in a thread that is meant to appreciate the character. I get that people are annoyed by it but that happened in her couple of first episodes and surely there's more to say about the character this point. But I would have been okay to hear it another time if it hadn't been in this particular thread.

Bite-me

Scooby
It's funny, I was actually Dawn's age when the show was on and I was resistant to her addition to the cast, I found her annoying, we were supposed too!
Buffy is our lens into the world, we are Buffy but now as I'm older I just love her more and more.

My main issue at the time was that I didn't like the story. I thought the key thing was just a on the fly supernatural justification they felt was necessary because they wanted a cute kid and younger actress to the cast and bending an entire Season around justifying a recon was not worth it. I didn't grasp that actually, the "key" story line was the whole point in its self and I think some people might not be realizing that even to this day. It was a good story line that in retrospect becomes a great story line.

Might people still be thinking "If you are gonna add a younger sibling just recon it and don't mention it! it doesn't have to be this complicated!" ha ha

Now, at the time, Dawn was in my eyes, a burden and annoying little sister... sound familiar? How can anyone not realize by now that this is not a bug but a feature? that this is how we see Buffy's perspective. And now as adult, I don't have problem with this but as a preteen I wanted the same show about teenagers doing teen stuff and battling demons and now, how thankful are we that the show grew up with us instead of just being a show that was on TV while when we grew up?

At the time I thought they could have explored growing up without making Buffy a pseudo mother figure and thought the surly lost in your twenties arc would have suffixed exploring in S5 and maybe it could have but I am glad it worked out so well. I love that Dawn represents Buffy's inner child and vulnerable human half, I love that she has a love interest in her life that isn't just simply another boyfriend and while Joyce was her mother it doesn't work on the same level of what Dawnie represents.

Last edited:

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
Dawn was my favourite character in season 7 hands down.

I think Joyce had tried to shelter Dawn so much from Buffy's slaying. She idolizes her older sister and wanted in on all the action, to be accepted. And she kinda never got that early on. I do wonder how Dawn handled the divorce between Joyce and Hank and whether the fact she clings to Buffy has anything to do with that.

I admit, I can't stand her "get out, get out, GET OUT" shrieks.

I love her in the comics. Especially in season ten when she's studying psychology and her friends are amazed by the visitors she has over. I think the line was "Yeah, psychology is the right field for you" as she explains everything so casually.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
Hahahaha! That is very true!!

Also love Dawn in Tabula Rasa. Where she again bonds with Buffy and has sister banter before it dawns on them (yes, pun intended) that they are sisters. Like when Buffy reaches out when Dawn is clearly scared "Oh it's okay. I don't know anyone here either". And Dawn still having that kooky sense of humour saying her name could be 'Umad".

Slayrunt

Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?
i feel like in the beginning buffy was fighting for her and angels relationship (aside from being the slayer etc).. but when dawn came along she was fighting for her sister, and fighting for ur sister rather then your boyfriend is clearly a healthier way of operating. its like her reason for living changed from her boyfriend to sister and i liked that.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Dawn is a brilliant character. Right from her debut in "The Real Me" I was very happy with how her character evolved. She showed so much character development with her maturity in Season 7. And a lot of people give Dawn flack for Season 5 but I don't understand why. Dawn has had a lot thrown her way in S5 in such a short time span and being so young her actions make complete sense to me.
I relate to her in a lot of ways and she deserves a lot more praise then she gets :)

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I love Dawn, and I love her introduction. Always enjoyed Real Me in S5.

There are moments for Dawn when she is written a little too young, but for the most part I find her very believable. I teach a very large group of 14 year olds, and their levels of maturity range pretty widely, Dawn would fit right in. I actually think Dawn is a better representation of teenagers in S5-7 than Buffy and crew in S1-3 (just maybe not as fun to watch :p)

One of my fave things about Dawn is her experimental food choices. Girl’s not afraid to microwave a marshmallow or whip up some peanut butter banana quesadillas!

Alittlegrim

Stuck In The Middle
This is another case where by feeling has changed with time. The first time through I didn't really like Dawn. Now, partly because I'm old enough to have a daughter her assumed age, I see things differently. Yes, she has negative character traits most of which can be attributed to her having at least the mind of a teenager, which can be a real circus. In all I feel she handles things if not well, then realistically and Michelle Trachtenberg does a really good job. One of the most upsetting scenes in the whole series for me is when Dawn cuts up her arm to see if she can bleed after discovering she is the key. Violence from supernatural forces is one thing. Self-mutilation is quite another, being far too real.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I like Dawn a lot . And I never saw why people disliked her . True she acted out a lot & wasn't mature but you have to understand where she was coming from . First she finds out she not real & everything she knew was a lie. That was a big shock & then her mother dying was a was a big kick to her sanity & then Buffy dying like she did was another kick to her sanity . Plus they wouldn't let her help out even though Dawn was the same age they were when they started fighting with Buffy . That was wrong also so I think Dawn acted pretty good since she could have gone crazy many times the last when she waited with Tara body so she wouldn't be alone . That was a powerful scene .

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
I love Dawn! Just yesterday I made a Dawn fan video!
I am Dawns age and I think she is really realistic for this age. Yeah I get it, sometimes you can tell she was written younger than Michelle actually was, but in the majority of her actions I find her to be a pretty realistic resemblence of my age group. And one also has to concider her having the burden of being a mystical blob of engery ;)
Also I can relate to her a lot on the show.
Her reaction to a Buffy/Riley kiss:

Me.
Her reaction to a Willow/Tara kiss:

Me!
Her reaction to Willow and Tara getting back together:

TOTALLY ME!!!
Just all her Tillow shipping scenes! :)

My favourite Dawn season is season 7! I love her in all seasons, but season 7 is her best Imo :)
Also Michelle's acting is AMZING!

And she's really beautiful too :)

Last edited:

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Look beyond the part as written - Michelle Trachtenberg is easily the best actress there. When you see other characters, you see an actor playing a character. When you look at Dawn, you see the character - the actress is totally subsumed into the character. If you watch the DVD with the commentary from the cast and characters, Alison was completely in awe of Michelle's acting ability and for me that counts more than a whole internet's worth of opinions. And kudos to SMG for getting the job for Michelle - she was the one who recommended MT and it worked out well. And it didn't hurt that she was the best looking of the cast in all the seasons she was in.

As for the get out, get out, get out scene, she had just found out she was not human, Buffy and her friends had known and not told her, the only person she could trust was Spike and everyone else had lied to her. I think it was a very reasonable response under the circumstances - I would have been throwing things at people - massive hard, sharp things where possible. BTW the get out, get out, get out gets thrown back at Buffy in "Lessons" by the spirit of the caretaker of the school at the end of Act 1 and nobody slags him for that.

Top Bottom