• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dawn's parallel in Harry Potter?

thrasherpix

Scooby
Many can point out parallel characters and tropes between Buffy and Harry Potter (and I got a girl to watch Buffy exploiting this fact). For those who don't know, that's another topic.

For those aware of the many parallels...where would you say Dawn's reflection, her echo, her character is in Harry Potter?

I think tonight is the first time I wondered. Maybe someone out there has some interesting ideas on it, or even a good answer. :)

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Dawn is of course Harry Potter himself. She is the-girl-who-lived, protected by the sacrifice of her mother, Buffy being both her adopted mother and having been revealed to technically be the closest thing Dawn has to a biological mother.

Just like Harry, Dawn is displaced for her own protection. Dawn is a magical construct and is put with a family. For a while, this causes great duress. She's not actually mistreated, but learning that her life is lie makes her feel completely alienated.

Dawn spends a lot of time missing her dead parents, both Buffy and Joyce. Just like Harry watches his parents in the wishing mirror, Dawn cuddles up to the Buffy Bot and tries to resurrect Joyce.

Dawn's nemesis Glory has some similarities to Voldemort. Just like Voldemort, she sustains herself by hanging on to a mortal host. In order to empower themselves, Voldemort and Glory need to kill Harry/Dawn.

T
thrasherpix
I think even the Ravenclaw door would consider that "well reasoned" enough to open up for you even if you weren't Ravenclaw.
ChaseRules
ChaseRules
That was very well thought out & l think that everything you said was dead on.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Offhand, Luna Lovegood maintained a positive attitude that exceeds that of most mortals while Dawn was kind of the opposite. Luna was also known for remaining calm no matter how bad it got (even locked in a dungeon) while it didn't take much for the Dawnster to start screeching or acting out. Luna didn't have many friends, but didn't try to push her way into Potter's group (even excusing herself graciously at that wedding, pulling her father along with her) while Dawn had school friends and yet demanded to be part of the Scoobies. And did Luna ever really crush on anyone the way Dawn did? (Heck, even their eating styles are different. No pudding running down the chin of Luna! :D )

The only parallels I see between them is that they have to be rescued more than once, and in the last season (like last movie) has a lot of good advice. And, very loosely, my mind is seizing on the one where Luna blasts that Death Eater that bloodies Luna's nose and where Dawn stakes that vampire boy on Halloween that seems to genuinely like her.

But there might be more. I like the idea of them being parallel, I'm just not seeing it yet.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Maybe Neville at a stretch, the could've been the one to be sacrificed, but someone else is instead, Harry for Neville, Buffy for Dawn, starts of as someone that wants to help but really isn't that helpful, but becomes someone who really helps out. Also there's the crazy parental figure, in Neville's case actual parents, but Tara for Dawn during the end of season 5 anyway.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
@thrasherpix I was thinking more Luna and Dawn being parallel as in opposites e.g. their names Luna (Moon), Dawn (Sun).

T
thrasherpix
I love that connection! Now there should be a crossover fanfic (probably is) involving a prophecy that requires "the Moon Must Meet the Dawn."

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I would argue that both are Christ metaphors, with the Arthurian secret son trope tossed in. But that could be said of 90% of heroes at that time.

Top Bottom