• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Deleted scene in Dead Things

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I just came across this video on Instagram and it shows the scene in which Buffy breaks down telling Tara she slept with Spike, and in response Tara says she knows all about keeping relationship secrets and uses a slur word to refer to herself. It blew my mind because it sounds NOTHING like something Tara would say and because I've seen the actual scene a hundred times it seems so jarring.

I thought it was fake but as far as I can verify it seems real, I found this article 15 Whedonverse Deleted Scenes That Should Never Have Been Cut

Which mentions that in a deleted part of the scene Tara compared Buffy sleeping with Spike to her homosexuality.

Anyway here's the video:
http://instagr.am/p/CLCk95QD1Mu/

And this is the real scene for comparison:

What do you guys think of it?

Last edited:

TriBel

Scooby
Which mentions that in a deleted part of the scene Tara compared Buffy sleeping with Spike to her homosexuality.
I can't tell what Tara says but structurally the comparison stands - partly because Spike is so gender fluid; partly because he's "other"; partly because while he has a penis he's not a man and doesn't have access to the phallus (kinda power structures or systems of meaning). I've always thought of them as a "queer" couple, in as much as "queering is a way to "[deconstruct] the logics and frameworks operating within old and new theological and ethical concepts and "dismantles the dynamics of power and privilege persisting among diverse subjectivities.". It makes sense...what she says isn't a slur on gay people. It's just a concept borrowed from Queer Theory that unleashes the radical potential. I can kinda understand why they cut it though. Thanks.

ETA. They might get away with it now...I'm not sure they would do then. Is it the F slur she uses? If so, that's dodgy.

@Athene - Thanks. I don't know about the use of the word. It's contentious. Amber's voice takes the edge off it but I'm not gay so I can't really speak to it. Two of my sons are gay and they don't like the term.

Last edited:
Athene
Athene
Yeah Tara says "Sweetie, I'm a fag. I've been there"

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
@TriBel Exactly. I know some people would see it as reclaiming the word if gay people use it but it didn't feel right especially coming from Tara. I can't believe it got as far as being filmed tbh it sounds like it was the censors that wouldn't have it.

TriBel

Scooby
@Athene I can see how it works...sort of normalizing Buffy's shock...or at least shocking her back to some sort of normality and I think it's quite a powerful statement. Tara's grown stronger over the seasons - become more confident so I think she can just about get away with it. I like it...I like the delivery...and it might have helped Buffy. It's just that I'm not sure whether it had been reclaimed then or whether it was still taboo. I can imagine there'd have been objections from all sides. If someone claimed using a slur word for gay people to put a straight woman at ease was perverse, I'd know where they were coming from.

Athene
Athene
Yeah it would have been a strong statement coming from Tara but I see why it was cut because it would have been sensitive.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I do think it makes it more strange that they didn't seem to change the script really at all whether Tara said the thing or not, Buffy's response stays the same.

TriBel

Scooby
I do think it makes it more strange that they didn't seem to change the script really at all whether Tara said the thing or not, Buffy's response stays the same.
D'you know...I'm unsure what to think about that scene because she never finishes a damned sentence...She uses more ellipses than I do...

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
What I find weird about this deleted scene is 1) that Tara would use this kind of slur, as she does not strike me as the "reclaiming slurs" type and 2) that fag would be used to describe a lesbian. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't this word reserved for gay men ?
I think it would've been fine if she'd said "Sweetie, I'm gay, I've been there", but as it is it just feels unnatural.

Athene
Athene
Yeah I thought the D word was more used for lesbians.

TriBel

Scooby
What I find weird about this deleted scene is 1) that Tara would use this kind of slur, as she does not strike me as the "reclaiming slurs" type and 2) that fag would be used to describe a lesbian. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't this word reserved for gay men ?
Interesting. I hadn't given it that much thought...but..."The word faggot has been used in English since the late 16th century as an abusive term for women, particularly old women,[7] and reference to homosexuality may derive from this,[6][8] as female terms are often used with reference to homosexual or effeminate men (cf. nancy, sissy, queen)". From Wiki...BUT elsewhere on Wiki... "I have a book called "Slang and Its Analogues", a 1970 reprint from a book originally published ca. 1900. It says that centuries ago a woman who had been judged a heretic and/or of being promiscuous, and had recanted (thus escaping the proverbial stake), was required to carry around the bundle of sticks called a "faggot", as a reminder that her previous words (and her own self) were worthy only of being burned.

Being "burned" seems to bring us perilously close to witches. Is Tara old? No...but because of what I've always thought was a mispronunciation of her name, Terra has always connoted Gaia or the earth mother (it's also there in her surname Ma - clay). BUT...I've just found this:

Damn...I wish they'd left it in now!

thrasherpix

Scooby
If it were left in, I'd headcanon it (and may have actually been a writer's intent) that she was going for the word to really emphasize how alienated and alone Tara once felt, how secretive she had to be.

I expect Tara had to hide that as much as witchcraft from her family, and not just because in earlier seasons her witchcraft was practically a metaphor for her sexuality (which contributes to the bad taste of season 6 for some of us as magic itself became dysfunctional and dangerous, treating it like a drug instead, just as some who hate gays see homosexuality). Using a "gay pride" (or "witch power") word then wouldn't have had the same effect. Just be glad she was saying it to help rather than one-up her.

Personally, I wouldn't want a dysfunctional relationship to be compared to a gay one, but I can see Tara is trying to help and let Buffy feel that she's not alone and that they have enough common ground that they can talk as Buffy desperately needs to. In short, building a rapport so that Tara can help rather than Buffy slinking off in shame and refusing to ever speak of it again until it destroys her.

Reactions: Leo
Top Bottom