• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Did any cast members get hate from fans?

Does anybody here know if there were any Buffy or Angel cast members that would get a lot of hate from fans or even death threats, and therefore would end up needing a body guard or something similar? Or were perhaps everyone equally loved by fans back then, and there were never any problems like that?

thrasherpix

Scooby
I vaguely recall the actress who played Buffy saying something about liking Bangel over Spuffy and she got a torrent of hate mail from Spuffy fans, a few of them quite deranged that would have me worried. That was many years ago, and I don't mean to imply that all, or even many, Spuffies are that crazy (or that a few deranged Bangel fans might not have done the same had she said she thought Spuffy was more right her character).

Thankfully, the vast majority of people in the Buffy fandom seem able to tell the difference between actor and character, though there are the rare exceptions. That's a lot better than some other fandoms out there.

I think Joss and the writers get more flack back then and today, but I don't see them as being threatened by it to the point that bodyguards would be needed, not even in these crazy times.

M
Midnight Raven
Yeah, I've heard that she had a pretty tough time back then. Not only because of all the hard work she had to put into the show, but also the immense pressure she must have felt from the fandom. Sucks to hear that some fans did that to her :(

Faded90

Scooby
I think things have definitely cooled but Sarah used to get a lot of stick for apparently being ungrateful because she dared to try to move on after the show and wasn’t happy to just let the show define her life. It’s always seemed harsh because every time Buffy has been brought up to her she’s happy to talk about it and has never once slated the show. Whereas David has on multiple occasions point blank refused to talk about Angel and has been very open about not being sentimental about the show and has moved on and yet no one ever calls him what they call Sarah. Just to add I’m not saying David should have got these things because i absolutely don’t but it seems unfair that it’s only Sarah gets slated for this.

Also pretty much any time she’s said she’s a Bangel I like to look at Twitter for the meltdown and you get a few crazies slagging her off and saying things like ‘she’s not even the first Buffy!’. It’s like the only time Kristy Swanson gets love for her role 😂

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
And did any of the hate mail get sent to Spike, were those who sent the hate mail to Spike actual demons themselves.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think things have definitely cooled but Sarah used to get a lot of stick for apparently being ungrateful because she dared to try to move on after the show and wasn’t happy to just let the show define her life. It’s always seemed harsh because every time Buffy has been brought up to her she’s happy to talk about it and has never once slated the show. Whereas David has on multiple occasions point blank refused to talk about Angel and has been very open about not being sentimental about the show and has moved on and yet no one ever calls him what they call Sarah. Just to add I’m not saying David should have got these things because i absolutely don’t but it seems unfair that it’s only Sarah gets slated for this.

Wasn't she painted as the reason for why there was no Season 8 of Buffy? Everyone else was ready to sign but SMG said no and since you can't have Buffy without Buffy, the show had to end.

Angel got cancelled so it wasn't DB's "fault" that the show ended.

Also it's been said that Whedon and SMG fell out because each thought the other was "ungrateful" for the work they each respectively put into the show. It's possible that the "fans" that sent SMG hate mail glommed onto Whedon's side of things.

B
Btvs fan
On the Firefly DVD commentaries Whedon mentions Cranky Season 7 TV stars. Clearly referring to SMG though there issues go back to Buffy S3

Btvs fan

Scooby
@Midnight Raven I know it was during S4/S5 . It was about the relationship with Willow and her supposed weight (in reality she was/is thin) and other stuff. Like I said it was so bad even Whedon made a rare public intervention.

Another was Julie Benz. She got a lot of hate from B/A shippers and Willow fans after Alyson Hannigan publicly criticised her in an interview. Even her voice was mocked and made fun of.

M
Midnight Raven
That sucks to hear. I hope that they didn't need body guards. Makes me so sad to hear these stories of nasty fans.
TW; sexual abuse

One thing I was already aware of is bad behaviour by fans towards James. I've read descriptions from people attending cons that fans often grope him in various places and make inappropriate comments to him. And it makes him very uncomfortable but he never really seems to know how to deal with it. He often just tries to be nice or funny and keeps on meeting the fans because he doesn't want to disappoint anyone.

It makes me so sad because it's so rude and disrespectful. No matter if it's a man or a woman, sexual harassment is never okay.

It also makes me sad because I know that he was sexually abused in his childhood (which is part of why the bathroom scene was so extremely triggering for him and hard to do).

He maybe has a hard time standing up for himself because of his past.

I know it's difficult for me anyway. I was emotionally and physically abused by a classmate of mine when I was 12. One of the experiences I had with her was very traumatic for me and ever since it happened it has given me insecurity issues where I have trouble standing up for myself if someone crosses my boundaries. About two years ago there was guy in a restaurant who put his hands on my waist while he was squeezing past me. I was really surprised and taken aback by it but I didn't say anything even though I really wanted to, because on the inside I was yelling "hey, what are you doing!".

Anyway, I really hope that most fans are respectful to the cast today. Cause it's really not okay to harass people with hate or sexual advances.

Btvs fan

Scooby
TW; sexual abuse

One thing I was already aware of is bad behaviour by fans towards James. I've read descriptions from people attending cons that fans often grope him in various places and make inappropriate comments to him. And it makes him very uncomfortable but he never really seems to know how to deal with it. He often just tries to be nice or funny and keeps on meeting the fans because he doesn't want to disappoint anyone.

It makes me so sad because it's so rude and disrespectful. No matter if it's a man or a woman, sexual harassment is never okay.

It also makes me sad because I know that he was sexually abused in his childhood (which is part of why the bathroom scene was so extremely triggering for him and hard to do).

He maybe has a hard time standing up for himself because of his past.

I know it's difficult for me anyway. I was emotionally and physically abused by a classmate of mine when I was 12. One of the experiences I had with her was very traumatic for me and ever since it happened it has given me insecurity issues where I have trouble standing up for myself if someone crosses my boundaries. About two years ago there was guy in a restaurant who put his hands on my waist while he was squeezing past me. I was really surprised and taken aback by it but I didn't say anything even though I really wanted to, because on the inside I was yelling "hey, what are you doing!".

Anyway, I really hope that most fans are respectful to the cast today. Cause it's really not okay to harass people with hate or sexual advances.

Be careful with James. He once said at a convention that he thought the actress who played his mother was abusive to her kids. Now if he'd thought that his duty was to go to Joss or the Police with his suspicions not simply have it as a fan convention tale.

M
Midnight Raven
I don't really understand what you mean. Wasn't she like 70 years old? Her kids would be pretty old. I don't really understand what you're implying. Are you saying he's not a nice guy?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@Midnight Raven JM has a tendency to chop and change his versions of events and kind of make things about him even when they're not. He actually comes across as a bit of an attention seeker.

Also I thought it was NB that was sexually abused as a child, not JM.

@Midnight Raven JM is generally liked by fans, most of the cast are, but that doesn't mean he's not an attention seeker.

Last edited:
M
Midnight Raven
I think it happened to them both.

I'm a bit curious now. Is JM generally liked or disliked by fans? I've usually heard good things though. But hearing this makes me wonder if maybe he's not as liked as I previously thought.

Priceless

Scooby
Be careful with James. He once said at a convention that he thought the actress who played his mother was abusive to her kids. Now if he'd thought that his duty was to go to Joss or the Police with his suspicions not simply have it as a fan convention tale.
Surely that was a joke, as he was her 'kid' on the show?

Btvs fan

Scooby
Surely that was a joke, as he was her 'kid' on the show?

No it wasn't a joke. He'd said her kids had the look which he recognised when he saw them.

@Midnight Raven The actress was much younger than shown in the episode. Though that character issue was less age and more illness. Obviously in real life she was different

@Btvs fan She was born in 1947, which would make her 56 years old in 2003. That's a person who would have grown up children.
I see on her insta that she has a grandson who is a young adult. That would make her two sons pretty old to have been kids back then. I also saw her post this in 2020, and she also tagged James: http://instagr.am/p/CHgrCSGhlBB/
They seem to be good friends. I doubt that he would have said something bad about her. She would have found out about it anyway. If he really said something like this then he must have been joking. So if that was the case then he was probably talking about their characters.

Or maybe he didn't say anything like this at all. Is there even any documentation of this? Or is this just some story somebody said?

@Midnight Raven JM has a tendency to chop and change his versions of events and kind of make things about him even when they're not. He actually comes across as a bit of an attention seeker.

Also I thought it was NB that was sexually abused as a child, not JM.

@Midnight Raven JM is generally liked by fans, most of the cast are, but that doesn't mean he's not an attention seeker.

I've noticed that he sometimes misremembers things when he talks about things, such as certain episodes or seasons. So I think that could just be because of bad memory. And perhaps that's why he has different versions of stories, or chopped up versions. Or maybe he changes his views on things with time, which is pretty normal. Or it could also be that he likes attention, like you said. I have no idea. I haven't met him.

But he still seems like a pretty fun and nice person and I still like him a lot.

Anyways, this is where talks about the triggering effect rape scenes have on him, at around 4:25;

"It's just too upsetting for me, just because of my personal...my childhood, frankly."

Kendar

Townie
Unfortunately anyone who appears in more than two or three episodes of a show has probably gotten hate mail. Kelly Hu has talked about getting hate mail when she kissed Kirk Cameron on Growing Pains (and she was only in three episodes). Jon Huertas (Castle ) has talked about the hate mail for his role on This is Us. I'd be surprised if there's anyone on the shows who DIDN'T get hate mail. Marc Blucas certainly did.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Sarah from some fans that judged she was too much showing her preference for Bangel over Spuffy.

I think sometimes "fans" forget that the actors are not the characters and vice versa. Some soap actors who play villainous characters get things shouted at them in the street because people just see the character.

Antho
Antho
True
T
thrasherpix
So bizarre to me. One voice actress didn't want to go to fan conventions because of death threats over what her character did and all she did was provide the voice, not make the decisions! Fans too stupid to threaten the writer instead.

Dora

Scooby
Sarah said she received death threats when she wished DB happy birthday on twitter a few years back and not JM , she was verbally attack by a Spuffy fan at a comic con in New York about star wars, I remember a friend of the attacker apologising later on twitter before it was taken down and had a torrent of hate abuse at the end of Buffy for things like not going to the wrap party, being a bitch on set , not going on the Angel final and not telling the crew that she would not be coming back for season 8 all which was a load of rubbish

M
Midnight Raven
That's so messed up. This is also the reason why I have often given up on stan twitter, it's such a hateful and toxic place online.
Top Bottom