• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did anyone else want to smack Giles when he and Willow were arguing about the Native Americans?

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Native american are part of my anscestors althought I never had the chance to truely meet them so yeah I am with Willow on this in theory. Althought I agree that you can't fix what your conqueror anscestors did so there is no need to feel ashamed of them. It is all about righting in the present the wrong that was done and not fighting about the past. We also had a lot of theses kind of fight in here between the French and the English but the truth is you have to pay respect to the past but also get over it for your own sake. What good would it bring me to hate the anglophones now?

Also, the episode is obviously dated but I do applaud them for showing different opinion on the sudject and really nobody won the debate in the end!

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I know 2 who left reservations that never plan to return over how they were treated by their fellows, one for being gay, another who was half-white and abused for it by other adults. Lots of tribes also dislike or even hate each other. Not all nice

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think I had more of a desire to smack Willow honestly, mostly because she comes across so "I read a pamphlet about this and now I care (for the first time in my life) and shall self-righteously go on to lecture everyone else about my new-gained, very shallow, knowledge and absolute moral certitude". It was a bit annoying really, but we did get some great bear jokes out of it.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I think I had more of a desire to smack Willow honestly, mostly because she comes across so "I read a pamphlet about this and now I care (for the first time in my life) and shall self-righteously go on to lecture everyone else about my new-gained, very shallow, knowledge and absolute moral certitude". It was a bit annoying really, but we did get some great bear jokes out of it.
I would say Willow easily is the least certain of them all. She does not lecture. She pleads with the others to listen. And I don't see her being self righteous in the least. You can call her naive, but at least she is sincere.

Taake
Taake
Of course you'd say that :P I've heard it around the block that you're kind of a Willow fan

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
You mean like when people get preachy about injustice but don't really do anything IRL and feel guilty about it? Ok then I can't argue with that because that is a lot of what people do and probably Willow too because we don't see her do more about it later (althought it would have been weird to include it later in the season)

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
You mean like when people get preachy about injustice but don't really do anything IRL and feel guilty about it? Ok then I can't argue with that because that is a lot of what people do and probably Willow too because we don't see her do more about it later (althought it would have been weird to include it later in the season)
I agree that it would’ve been weird to include it later! But yeah, that’s what I mean. I do think it works in context of the episode (which I love) and the character, but in terms of did I want to smack Giles, then no, I did/do not :)

Top Bottom