• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did anyone like Spike and Harmony as couple?.

Benz

Potential
I know it was never love between them but i kind of enjoyed because it was not about love.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I love vampire!Harmony and her relationship to Spike is an important part of her story. I feel bad, though, because it is this farcical representation of domestic abuse. However, despite all the silliness, Harmony's pain hits me hard. "The Harsh Light of Day" is a criminally underrated episode, and I really love the sad ending. Harmony and Spike conversation at the end of "Harm's Way" is also really nice.

I think Harmony deserves to be counted on the same level as the Fanged Four. She is a really interesting character.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Absolutely, but that was the point of the 'relationship', kinda like how Wes and Lilah never would've worked out in the end, either. Doesn't stop it from being a fascinating and, at times, fun watch, though.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
It's nice that the both of us make the Spike&Harmony and Wesley&Lilah comparison.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Absolutely, but that was the point of the 'relationship', kinda like how Wes and Lilah never would've worked out in the end, either. Doesn't stop it from being a fascinating and, at times, fun watch, though.
I don't think Spike/Harmony are comparable to Wes/Lilah. It's clear that Spike holds no affection for Harmony and is simply using her for sex. He treats her appallingly and never considers her feelings or wants or needs.

Wes and Lilah genuinely care for one another but are prevented from expressing these feelings because of their pride and the fact that they work on opposite sides. Their relationship is a power play with real emotion underneath, whereas Spike and Harmony just comes across as a toxic and abusive relationship between a vapid and unaware girl and a guy who wants sex and sees her as an easy way to get it. There's no affection or love there.

W

WillowFromBuffy

vapid and unaware girl
I agree with everything else you are saying, but I don't think this is a fair description of Harmony. Harmony knows exactly what Spike is about, she just doesn't have a lot of options. Harmony's vampirism is great metaphor for falling off the rails and lacking the self reliance and social safety net to get back up on one's feet.

I think the drug metaphor in S5 of AtS worked very well. She is on eternal probation and will never be fully allowed back into polite society. No "good" person would ever want to date or even be friends with a vampire.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I don't think Spike/Harmony are comparable to Wes/Lilah. It's clear that Spike holds no affection for Harmony and is simply using her for sex. He treats her appallingly and never considers her feelings or wants or needs.

Wes and Lilah genuinely care for one another but are prevented from expressing these feelings because of their pride and the fact that they work on opposite sides. Their relationship is a power play with real emotion underneath, whereas Spike and Harmony just comes across as a toxic and abusive relationship between a vapid and unaware girl and a guy who wants sex and sees her as an easy way to get it. There's no affection or love there.
I agree completely, I only used the comparison in the vague sense of both being intriguing to watch and both not being end-game. I wasn't comparing them in any real way regarding how they act around/with each other.

RachM
RachM
Ah, got'cha, my bad :)
W
WillowFromBuffy
Bah! I will never concede that Wes and Lilah couldn't have been endgame. "You didn't love me!" "Now we'll never know, will we?"

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Bah! I will never concede that Wes and Lilah couldn't have been endgame. "You didn't love me!" "Now we'll never know, will we?"
They could have been endgame. Spike and Harmony could have been endgame, though it wouldn't have been very healthy, but those relationships also exist. However, it would have, imo, taken away some of the interest in Weslah if they had been together at the end. It felt perfectly them to go the way it did. But then, that's just me :p

W

WillowFromBuffy

They could have been endgame. Spike and Harmony could have been endgame, though it wouldn't have been very healthy, but those relationships also exist. However, it would have, imo, taken away some of the interest in Weslah if they had been together at the end. It felt perfectly them to go the way it did. But then, that's just me :p
I agree that Wesley and Lilah got a beautiful ending, but I like to imagine what could have happened if Lilah had lived and Wesley had allowed himself to believe that she really did love him. I think there was potential for growth there. Spike and Harmony, on the other hand, could only have deteriorated further. Even after he gets his soul, Spike is hardly able to treat her with any semblance of respect or consideration.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I liked Spike and Harmony as a couple but I think that's more to do with the chemistry between the actors. On paper, the pairing shouldn't work at all, yet on screen it does. Harmony isn't as stupid as people seem to think she is, she knows how to push Spike's buttons and actually manipulates him with sex eg getting him to take her to a party. In Season 5, we see them playing 20 questions, they'd obviously discussed a threesome which Harmony turned down "unless it was boy, boy, girl, or Charlize Theron", and Spike even compliments Harmony in The Real Me on her appearance. Spike does get easily annoyed by her and he's still hung up on Dru so it's not a pairing that would last a considerable amount of time. It certainly would never be a "long haul" relationship.

It's a shame it was never revealed how they met and hooked up with each other. My theory is that Spike was extremely drunk, they had a one night stand, and then Harmony just kind of glued herself to him.

spikenbuffy

"Preparation, preparation, preparation"
"I love syphillis more than you" lol. They are funny sometimes but Harmony should be with someone that love her and doesn't use her for sex. Plus I don't want Spike in love with a stupid girl like Harmony.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I enjoyed the relationship for what it was. I don't place much fault at Spike's door. Both him and Harmony are in very different places. I'm not sure I buy that Harmony was that hurt. I think she was kinda just playing the egoistic High School girl we were used at that point. Don't forget she was still that to a point on Angel, but with a bit more growth.

Nix

Evil Nix 😈 Unicorn of Death!
Sineya
They were very funny but yer it was ok but not something I rate highly on the ship front.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I would enjoy Spike and Harmony more if he didn't treat her so badly. He' s abusive towards her, at least verbally. I guess the writers thought it was okay because Harmony was "evil", but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In fact, I was just re-watching "Harm's Way" (AtS S5) and even then he's condescending to her. There's just no reason for it. From a character standpoint, it makes no sense, because if Spike is anything, he's usually respectful and admiring of woman, right? Even from a story or humor standpoint, it's not even funny, which it's intended to be.

And he never apologizes for how he treated her.

I love you, Spike, but major fail, dude.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I guess the writers thought it was okay because Harmony was "evil"
Then what were the writers excuse for S6? I very much doubt that we, the audience, were meant to think that the abuse was 'okay'. It was framed as abuse, because it was meant to be seen that way. It wasn't supposed to be cool or funny (except for the occasional line here or there) and when Harmony cried, we were not supposed to roll our eyes and call her pathetic. Spike was not the sympathetic one here, and he was never meant to be.

There's just no reason for it. From a character standpoint, it makes no sense, because if Spike is anything, he's usually respectful and admiring of woman, right? Even from a story or humor standpoint, it's not even funny, which it's intended to be.
Again, disagree. Spike isn't the monster that some fans like to think, but he's also not the good guy others see. He is possessive of Drusilla, and entitled, in his own mind, to Buffy's affection just because he does something nice for her. This is not a healthy lover, whether I'm a Spuffy shipper or not. Respectful to women? In the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but I don't see his treatment of Harmony as anything other than in-character for Spike.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
No, I don't. Because if you are a Demon who took control of a hot teenage girl, my guess is that you pursue abusive relationships for the fun of it. Like Faith, only a lot worst, and that her relationship with Spike is on the grounds that he was the least abusive of the vampires she traded sex for protection for. Because Vampires are bad people.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
He is possessive of Drusilla
I disagree. I think the Angelus situation is completely different from a general possessiveness. There is an underlying issue with the Angelus/Drusilla dynamic which I think Spike gets very twitchy about. Fans generally seem to think that Dru ditched Spike for Angelus in Season 2, however the truth is that she didn't. She was sleeping with BOTH men. There are reasons why Dru might sleep with Angelus eg he's the dominant vampire therefore what he says goes, he trained her to react in that way towards him, etc. However, whilst Spike is in the wheelchair, there is no status benefit involved for Dru since Spike wields no power (and sleeping with him actually undermines Angelus' dominant status) yet Dru continues to do so because she wants to. Angelus is often the one separating Spike and Dru by trying to keep Dru away from Spike which Spike is unable to prevent due to his disadvantaged position.

Also, Spike is quick to call Dru out when she actually does cheat on him eg the chaos demon, so he's not blind to her indiscretions, yet he said nothing about Angelus which suggests there is a subtext of an issue there that the writers didn't really explore. This could either be because there wasn't time, the vampires weren't the focal characters, or even it would've made Angel look so awful that the audience would stop caring about him because he would've crossed a moral event horizon. Whilst Angelus is evil, his behaviour still reflects badly on Angel eg the audience were told that Angelus nailed a puppy to a wall to which Buffy quickly said something like "skip it. I don't have a puppy so skip it". Had we actually seen that even in-show eg Willow comes home and finds her dead puppy nailed to the wall, then you could bet on the audience completely turning against Angel because of that regardless of whether he's in a souled state or not. The audience only briefly hears what Angelus did to Drusilla to turn her mad rather than witnessing it, had the issue been explored in more detail then it would be a lot more problematic than it is presented on screen.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I don’t feel the need to romanticize or find depth in every character or relationship. Harmony and Spike was hilarious purely for the fact that it was so obviously a rebound and Harmony was pretty much the last person on earth you would expect Spike to be with. I believe one of the writers even commented on the fact that it’s one of those relationships where you literally cannot stand the person but the sex is really good. That pretty much how Spike feels about Harmony. He literally staked her she was annoying him so much. He has no respect for her as a person, he treats her horribly, he’s verbally abusive, he’s mean, and he uses her blatantly and doesn’t even hide his contempt because he feels she’s that stupid he doesn’t need to bother. The only reason we don’t despise him for it is because the both of them are Hilarious and Harmony is actually dumb enough where she actually doesn’t pick up on just how horrible he is. The few times she does and her “ feelings” are hurt she’s over it quickly enough that it’s not devastating because she’s actually a soulless vampire who...wait for it!!! Is actually a pretty awful person herself. It’s pure charm and humor that makes Harmony as fun and likable as she is, not anything stellar about her as a decent person or good vampire. She turns on Cordelia first opportunity she gets, tries to kill Dawn, tries to kill Xander, turns on Angel...luckily she just happens to be incompetent and sucks at being a villain. She’s enough of a survivor to realize her strengths don’t lie in being a bad guy and “works with” the good guys instead in a corporate environment, at least until it doesn’t suit her anymore. She was a pretty crappy human being too with no great strength of character either. She’s exactly what she appears to be. Hot, blonde, vapid, and charming with enough social graces to make it in the world. Reality tv would be perfect for her, or exactly what she became in season 5, a personal assistant in a evil law firm. Losing her soul and dying in high school was actually an improvement.

Also, to get back to Spike , as soon as he became corporal, the first thing he did was grab her and drag her off like a caveman. When she “ protested “ he gave her the most lame , bullshit compliment that was to count as what, wooing? That whole exchange was so insulting and degrading and showed exactly what he thought of her intelligence , that shes easily won over for sex by mentioning how great she looked. He also told her to not talk while he was in the middle of having sex with her, very classy. She’s like a sex doll to him. Which, if we remember, he basically used her like one in BTVS season 5 when he dressed her up like Buffy for role play . Can he possibly insult this woman more? Their whole relationship was insulting and one sided. They could never have been endgame.

Top Bottom