• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Did Buffy love Spike?

Was Buffy in love with Spike?

• Yes - I watched while the show aired

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Yes - I watched after the show aired

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • No - I watched while the show aired

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • No - I watched after the show aired

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Maybe - I watched while the show aired

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Maybe - I watched after the show aired

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
I know this topic probably got many people on guard, lol, but I wanted to see statistically if people thought Buffy was in love with Spike.

The reason I ask, is this poll from a number of years ago, that shows BB mainly believed she did not. I wanna see if opinion has changed.
So if you vote for which you think, and for which option applies to you.

My answer is no, I don't think she did.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
You know, I don't think the amount of forgiveness, trust and faith she had for Spike would have been possible if there wasn't some sort of love there. I don't think I would ever classify Buffy's feelings as an Eros type love but more of sexual attraction with a codependency type friendship.

R
Robb Stark
[No message]
Aimee
Aimee
[No message]

FaithsFollower

Thank Goodness It's Buffy
Sineya
I chose No. I watched while the show aired.

Reason being is this: the story of Buffy and Angel was an epic love story. Sure, they had problems, and yes, it was kind of dangerous [on account of Angelus]. Let's face it, their story is what we [women and maybe some men too] all want [aside from the reformed-killer-who-enjoyed-going-on-a-murderous-rampage]. When Buffy and Angel sort-of-but-not-really broke up in "The Prom", I was devestated [for them].

But then "Graduation Day" happened, and we didn't see Buffy and the Scoobies again until the Season 4 premiere, "The Freshman". From the time of "Graduation Day" until "The Freashman", we know nothing about what happened. But I'm willing to bet that Buffy never really fully resolved her break up with Angel. Not like she did back in S2 [when she just took off...but that's another story].

Point being, I feel that she just needed time to be. Find out who Buffy is WITHOUT being part of a couple. I was so frustrated when Buffy made that speech to Angel about being "cookie dough". It would've been a lot easier if she realized this earlier in the series. But I guess that's life.

After Riley left in Season 5, her mother started having all these health issues and that took a toll on her. And then she died and was brought back in Season Sex Six.

Honestly, during the first few moments of S6 when a newly resurrected Buffy was talking with Spike about her isolation and whatnor outside the Magic Box I thought that would be a cool new direction since Spike would know EXACTLY how she was feeling [to a point...maybe]. But the writers went a different way and I did not enjoy the direction at all.

But in Season Seven I began to actually really like the Spike/Buffy scenes where they had a mutual respect for each other.

So. Back to the original question. Buffy love Spike? Yes and no. I think that she DID love Spike, but it was the kind of love she had for Xander, Willow, and possibly Dawn. Not romantic love. Although, if the writers took B/S into the direction I had been wanting them to take them in back in S6, I do believe there would've been a romantic love there [but they didn't so it doesn't matter :p].

R
Robb Stark
Yep, I want it too lol

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
You know, I don't think the amount of forgiveness, trust and faith she had for Spike would have been possible if there wasn't some sort of love there. I don't think I would ever classify Buffy's feelings as an Eros type love but more of sexual attraction with a codependency type friendship.
I agree, and with Nix, there was something there, but I dont think she was IN love with him.

cemeterybabe

Cookie Dough
I think she had a love for him and she liked being around him, but Buffy was not in love with Spike. :/

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

And then she died and was brought back in Season Sex Six.
Lol Season Sex XD I thought the same thing when I was watching that season.

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
YES! YES! YES!!!!!!!

Hope that was clear enough. ;-). She loved him even before she began to consciously consider the possibility that she loved him! And vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
@BEG no! Don't do it! This way lies MADNESS.

But to answer the question, no. I don't believe Buffy was ever in love with Spike. I watched while it aired, I read the comics as they are released and I never seen anything in the way Buffy treats Spike as her being in love with him. I think she cares for him, but not in that way.

*Runs out of thread while I'm still alive*

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
Sometimes its good to see the world burn!!
S
salustra
[No message]

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
I voted 'no'.

I think she had a lot of affection for him, and she did trust him at the end, but I think the scene in 'Chosen' was more that Buffy WANTED to be in love with him. She wanted to feel like he was deserving of her love because of what he was doing - sacrificing himself to save the world - and think if she'd known it wasn't really the sacrifice everyone thought it was, she wouldn't have said it. But at the time, I think she wanted to give him something, and she knew that the one thing he really wanted was her love.

But since the end of S7, we haven't seen anything that shows or proves that Buffy was in love with him or ever was. She's been very abrupt with him, dismissing him out of hand and only running to him when she thinks he can solve her problem. S9 spoiler -
It's the reason she goes to him about the 'pregnancy' because she knows that he'll support whatever decision she makes - he'll hold her hand if she decides on the abortion, or he'll be there to help her raise the baby if she decides to keep it.

I definitely think she was attracted to him and loved him to a certain extent, but I don't think she was IN love with him.

S
salustra
[No message]
thetopher
thetopher
[No message]

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
I voted "maybe", saw the show after it aired.

The only reason I didn't vote yes was because I don't think Buffy was well and truly "in love" with Spike, as others have said. That being said (and I'm hoping this classification will stop [MENTION=6758]white avenger[/MENTION] from flaying me, or possibly shooting dirty looks at all of us), I do think she loved him. I think she trusted him completely. I think that sentiment, that love, will always be there between them. Love isn't a set or defined thing. It means different things to different people, in different ways (I think I may have set the vagueness record with that comment). Buffy loved Spike, but differently than she loved Angel. I don't think that detracts from either of the relationships, or that because Buffy/Spike has an ending it makes it "worse".

I'll always believe that Buffy's "true love" is Angel. I think the story really indicates that. But that doesn't mean she didn't love Spike. I think she did.

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
WA is not gonna be happy with the results of the poll, they shocked me!
white avenger
white avenger
I don't "flay." I do, howver, patiently await the perfect oortunity to wreak vengeance of apocolyptic proportions. Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

salustra

Spike Acolyte
Sineya
I think she loved him in her own way but she was not 'in' love with him. He was 'in' love with her though, he'd've laid down his unlife for her and did in the end, even knowing he was not loved in return as he loved. But then Spike has always been 'love's bitch'. I think Buffy was only ever 'in' love with Angel, and I don't think there is anyone else for her, at least as things stood at the end of the series.

I
iShower4free
[No message]
R
Robb Stark
[No message]
NeonNightLight
NeonNightLight
[No message]

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Yes. "Because I'm not ready for you to not be here." - Buffy (to Spike)

One love does not necessarily pre-empt another. Consider love for one person as an object you have in one of your pockets. You can have love for someone else in another pocket. You can have any number of pockets from zero to the rather large number in some military uniforms - or more. If polygamy (or in this case, polyandry) were more common (and legal), the question of one love overpowering any other would come up all the time, but there would be actual test cases and results. She would always love Angel. This does not mean she could not love Spike.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Agreed

white avenger

white avenger
Everyone seems for some reason to think that I am some rabid Spuffy shipper who is somehow offended or angered when others disagree with my opinions about Buffy's relationship with Spike. Where this might come from, I have no idea, since I have made every effort on all occasions to respect the beliefs and feelings of all of my fellow Spuff...er...Buffy fans, no matter where I might meet them, whether here, on some other forum, or in what passes for real life these days.

Only modesty prevents me from saying that I am known far and wide for my tolerance and even support of the right of all fans to form their own opinions and make their own judgements on matters such as whether or not Buffy should be with Spike or some lesser ensouled vampire. I have always maintained that Spike, while undoubtedly the best choice for Buffy's true love, is certainly not her only choice, and that Buffy is supposedly a mature, intelligent person who has every right to settle for second best if that is her desire. Furthermore, if she were to make such a commitment, I think that, even when she realizes the error and one might even say, tragic mistake that she has made, the treasure that she has foolishly let slip through her fingers, she will continue to remain faithful to whatever poor choice the made.

Though she might be jealous and envious of the relationship that Spike and Faith have, though she might weep bitter tears into her pillow each night, though she might truthfully say that what she settled for could not ever possibly compare with what she could have had, she will continue to honor her commitment, make the best of her poor choice, and get on with what is left of her life, broken heart and all.

Hopefully, I have been able here in these few words, to state my opinoin clearly and to explain why I would be neither infuriated not heart broken if Buffy would make such a tragic mistake, and I would remain tolerant and civil with those poor deluded fans who fail to see the truth that apparently only a man of my age, wit, maturity, experience, and depth of insight could see.

And in conclusion, I would only like to point out that there was once a poll that named a man named Dewey as the winner of a Presidental election, but when the final decision was made, it was Truman who took u residence in the White House. Don't stake all of your hopes and dreams on polls. Wait for the real results.

Kean
Kean
Nice to see you are retaining your grace and humility, WA. :p
S
salustra
I think Buffy *should* have picked him, but she never had the best taste.
R
Robb Stark
Huge love to this post lol
DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
So spuffy for the win then?

white avenger

white avenger
I think she was falling in love with him. If the show continued I think she would have eventually loved him.
I agree. I firmly believe that, if there had been a televised Season 8 and Spike hadn't been moved over to "Angel," Buffy and Spike's relationship would have definitely progressed in that direction.

R
Robb Stark
[No message]
Aimee
Aimee
[No message]

Aimee

Scooby
I think she used him in a loveless sort of way at first and then started to have feelings for him until the (damn, why did you do that Spike!) near-rape incident. I think she loved him in a way by the end of season 7 but she never loved him like he loved her. It's very clear from Touched that Spike truly loved Buffy but at that stage she kind of just respected and valued him.

white avenger

white avenger
I know that this isn't an Angel vs Spike debate, but since Angel has been mentioned several times here already, I feel justified in restating something that I have always felt.

I've never been able to understand why some people (not necessarily you, Aimee, but there are several here, and they know who they are) can never get past "Seeing Red" but can and do totally dismiss everything evil and despicable that Angelus did by saying that Angel can;t be held responsible for what a soulless monster did. Regardless of his motives in doing so, and let's face it, both vampires fought at Buffy's side more to impress her than they ever did out of any sense of duty or regret for past sins, Spike worked just as hard, was appreciated less, and endured more for Buffy, Dawn, and Joyce than Angel ever did, without a soul.

Disregarding pre "Welcome To The Hellmouth" (and Angel himself admitted that Angelus was always more evil than Spike ever was before that time) Spike helped Buffy and her friends at least as much, if not more, without benefit of a soul, than Angel ever did, part of which was during the time when Buffy was dead, and he could expect no reward whatsoever for doing so (while another certain vampire was off brooding in a monastery and the helpless were going pretty much unhelped in "his" city) without the benefit of a soul.

Either hold Angel responsible for everything that Angelus did, or stop blaming Season 7 Spike responsible for the attempted rape. Anything less is an admission that Angel can't stand a fair comparison to Spike.

T
Toften
[No message]
DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
I kinda like you!

salustra

Spike Acolyte
Sineya
I know that this isn't an Angel vs Spike debate, but since Angel has been mentioned several times here already, I feel justified in restating something that I have always felt.

Either hold Angel responsible for everything that Angelus did, or stop blaming Season 7 Spike responsible for the attempted rape. Anything less is an admission that Angel can't stand a fair comparison to Spike.
Oh this, so much this! I also have to bring up that S6 Buffy abused the crap out of Spike prior to Seeing Red. At least twice she forced sex on him despite his saying no initially. (If that happened with sexes reversed we'd be calling rape). And in Dead Things (this is the episode where I stopped being able to like Buffy at all), she beats Spike to a bloody pulp, unable to move, and leaves him in an alleyway. His crime? Trying to stop her from turning herself into the police before she had all the facts. She never checks on him, never apologizes later. If he couldn't manage to move before sunrise, he would have burned up. Buffy's supposed to be the hero, she's the one of the two possessing a soul in S6, but she sure doesn't act like it.

If she had treated Angel the same way, would he still love her? Hell, would Angel have tolerated any of this treatment? (Double standard all the way, Angel is golden and Spike is the whipping boy. I love Angel to pieces, it's not his fault Joss hated Spike for being cool and heaped punishment on him.) ( end rant, sorry, my buttons got pushed.)

bespangeled
bespangeled
[No message]
Top Bottom