• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Buffy seem suspicious of the FBI agents that took Marcie away?

Kristine

Townie
She mentioned "This isn’t the first time this has happened, is it?" Does that mean there is a reason behind Marcie's inviability occurrence and that the the Initiative/goverment could be reasonable for what happened to Marcie's issue?

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
One of the reasons why I wish the Initiative plot had been executed better. I love the idea of it. And Buffy's suspicion here could work as foreshadowing.

It would also have been great to see Marcie, or someone like her, brought back for season four as an invisible agent (wouldn't have to be that though, but Marcie should've been mentioned so viewers could connect it back to the start) ... then you can see how the government is using these people to.... if you will, catch demons and make creepy hybrids of them, or where ever else they might've wanted to take the plot. Commando college students was dumb. Government conspiracies are not.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The FBI just investigates federal crimes. At the end of the episode, we see Marcie in a class for assassins, which sounds more like CIA training for a field asset. The Initiative is a military unit and from the Posse Comitatus rules, cannot enforce laws within the US. All of these organizations are separate and sometimes antagonistic to each other, so my guess is the people who took Marcie away were CIA even if they said they were FBI.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
As I remember Buffy thought that the FBI agents were 'very creepy'.
So by S4 she should've been a bit more suspect about 'official government' involvement in the supernatural but she was distracted by Riley's big arms or something.

vampmogs

Townie
As I remember Buffy thought that the FBI agents were 'very creepy'.
So by S4 she should've been a bit more suspect about 'official government' involvement in the supernatural but she was distracted by Riley's big arms or something.
I don't think it was a matter of Buffy just being distracted by Riley's big arms, although her infatuation and a fresh and exciting new relationship would certainly have played a part. I think the way she jumped headfirst into the Initiative had far more to do with her unconsciously seeking out another "Watchers Council." As much as Buffy resented both the Council and then later the Initiative trying to stifle her or order her around, I think Buffy unconsciously sought out another organisation which she could become part of and give some order back into her life. A lot of people really struggle with their newfound freedom and unstructured life in their first year of university. It's why, here in Australia at least, the first year of college has a 50% drop out rate because people can't cope without a high school structure/parents/teachers forcing you to attend classes everyday etc. Buffy really struggled in "The Freshman" and whilst she's shown adjusting over the next few episodes she's still expressing sadness at how "everything's changed now" in "Pangs." I think Buffy hoped to seek some comfort in belonging to an demon-hunting organisation again with Maggie Walsh *cough* Watcher *cough* acting as an authority figure and ordering her around.

Of course, ultimately Buffy resents being ordered around because it's not in her nature. But I do think she subconsciously sought it out until she realised she really didn't need it anymore (if she ever did).

I also just imagine that a part of Buffy found comfort in the idea that, as she says, when "she patrolled she'd now have the highly trained team backing her up." Slayings a rough and scary job. I can't blame Buffy for initially liking the idea of having an entire team of soldiers watching her back. The interesting tension between Buffy and the Initiative in Season 4 is that despite their shadiness and Buffy's uncomfortableness with their experimentation, they're ultimately both interested in getting vampires and demons off the streets. It's why Buffy doesn't try and shut the Initiative down after "Goodbye Iowa" and continues to patrol with Riley and let him call in cases of vampires and demons over his radio even if Buffy herself won't patrol with the soldiers anymore.

But yeah, the fact that she also got to go work with her shiny new boyfriend with the good arms certainly didn't hurt ;)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I also just imagine that a part of Buffy found comfort in the idea that, as she says, when "she patrolled she'd now have the highly trained team backing her up." Slayings a rough and scary job. I can't blame Buffy for initially liking the idea of having an entire team of soldiers watching her back. The interesting tension between Buffy and the Initiative in Season 4 is that despite their shadiness and Buffy's uncomfortableness with their experimentation, they're ultimately both interested in getting vampires and demons off the streets. It's why Buffy doesn't try and shut the Initiative down after "Goodbye Iowa" and continues to patrol with Riley and let him call in cases of vampires and demons over his radio even if Buffy herself won't patrol with the soldiers anymore.

But yeah, the fact that she also got to go work with her shiny new boyfriend with the good arms certainly didn't hurt ;)
Also Buffy might have been getting paid to patrol with the initiative which was essentially a job she was already doing for free.

I think the show went too big with introducing the government into things. They were definitely slacking on the vampire front since "gangs on PCP" were such a problem in town that the Mayor made it part of his election pledges.

Kratos
Kratos
Like your signature.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
The FBI just investigates federal crimes. At the end of the episode, we see Marcie in a class for assassins, which sounds more like CIA training for a field asset. The Initiative is a military unit and from the Posse Comitatus rules, cannot enforce laws within the US. All of these organizations are separate and sometimes antagonistic to each other, so my guess is the people who took Marcie away were CIA even if they said they were FBI.
A Supernatural situation, fake badges!

She mentioned "This isn’t the first time this has happened, is it?" Does that mean there is a reason behind Marcie's inviability occurrence and that the the Initiative/goverment could be reasonable for what happened to Marcie's issue?
I don't think the government was responsible for the invisibility but did have a unit trained in dealing with these events. The hellmouth caused the invisibility. We see it again in season 7.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
It was an X-Files Spec Script that became a Buffy episode? My guess is that, she saw them hanging around campus.

Top Bottom