• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Cordelia change too quickly?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
In Welcome to the Hellmouth Cordelia is initially friendly to Buffy, but a bully to Willow and Xander, yet by School Hard she's sat whittling stakes with them. Did she become too relaxed and accepting of them too quickly?

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
By the time "School Hard S2E3" happens, Cordelia turned temporarily blind during a driver's test in "The Witch S1E3" and had been rescued from Marcie Ross in "Out of Mind, Out of Sight S1E11" and the zombie brother in "Some Assembly Required S2E2". In "Reptile Boy S2E5" she says:

I’ve never been so happy to see anyone in my whole…
(fights the tears)
You guys, I just really… hate you guys, the
weirdest things always happen around you!

Cordelia knows there are unexplained things going on around her that can be life-ending or life-altering and knows that Buffy is the one who knows about these things and can do something about them. Her ambivalence to Buffy continues in "The Wish S3E9" where she wishes Buffy Summers had never come to Sunnydale. She thinks Buffy is responsible for all the trouble but knows enough to help her vanquish the trouble. Even so, in "School Hard S2E3" she sharpens stakes for about three minutes and runs off.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I dunno, Cordelia has a history of changing her idea (or personnality - looking at you S3 of ATS) alot in her arc. She also always say and do what she wants in her BTVS years so I think she just goes with the flow and in that time this flow lead her alot to the scoobies. Also, I think Cordelia always thought her popular life was boring and that people never challenged her. I think secretly she liked that the scoobies didn't worship her and agreed with everything she said. Cordelia is a strong woman and needs people around that have the same strenght.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
Cordelia was a much smarter and better person than she pretended to be in high school. I think she just got tired of having to play dumb and shallow in order to be popular. Being rescued by Buffy in "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" was the start of her journey. She, along with Spike and Wesley, had the biggest character-change arcs in the Buffyverse.

Cordelia was very strong. She lost her popular friends, lost her money, lost her chance to go to college, ended up living alone in a roach-infested dump... and came out of it stronger than ever.

What they did to her in season 4 of AtS is probably my least favorite thing in the history of the Buffyverse, and one of my least favorite in the history of all my television watching.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I never felt like her growth happened too quickly. From the very beginning the show hinted at there being more depth to Cordy than just being the typical popular girl, so all the change we saw felt genuine and believable.

Given that she grew up in Sunnydale and likely experience and heard about weird things happening, part of her was probably relieved to find out about Buffy and her Slayer world.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
In Welcome to the Hellmouth Cordelia is initially friendly to Buffy, but a bully to Willow and Xander, yet by School Hard she's sat whittling stakes with them. Did she become too relaxed and accepting of them too quickly?
No, I don't think so. She doesn't truly become part of the fight until after Vocah's mind attack in Angel. Until then she is more allied than changed or committed (all of btvs season 1) or opportunistic (Xander relationship; Wes attraction; Angel giving her a job b/c she keeps showing up since she is broke and also needs protection).

Not to say she does not change some or gain insight, she does --gradually, but she is essentially the same vain girl doing what is right for her interest. Keeping the world turning is definitely in her interest. And yes, she does care about the others, but Queen C is still number 1. After Vocah shows her the pain of the world, she changes very significantly. She had her compassion activated and we start to see her heart.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I have my qualms with Cordy but she is nothing if she isn’t insightful and resourceful. I think it makes sense for her to align herself with the Scoobies when all of the weird stuff keeps happening (even if she does occasionally blame the weird stuff on Buffy lol). And I am not surprised when she quickly took in stride that vampires were a thing because she kinda rolls with the punches. So within the context of the OP, about whether Cordy changed too quickly on BTVS I’d say: nope.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Cordelia is a pragmatist at heart.
If she knows Buffy is important to the world and Sunnydale in particular then she's gonna try to help out as much as she can without it inconveniencing her. And she's definitely known this since S1 'Prophecy Girl' when she helped out during the apocalypse.

I don't think she sees the Scoobies as important at all, and is mostly dismissive of them for the first half of S2. But dismissive is 'they don't bother/effect me' so she'll hang around and help, a bit, but won't get too worked up over anything.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I think initially she, like Spike during truce, sees Buffy as a means to keeping herself and rhe world alive. Eventually, she forms attachments and then Vocah (as I said before) was a change point. Kinda like when Neo took the pill in the Matrix and had his mind blown and his 'Kansas' reality went bye bye.

Top Bottom