1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Dhoffryn bring the wedding crasher?

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by Fool for Buffy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    After rewatching Hells Bells and the cruelty of the final scene where Dhoffryn pounces on Anya's misery and makes her a demon again, I realized it could be possible that Dhoffryn planned it all along. So I began to think did Dhoffryn alert the man, provide him magical travel to the wedding, and aid him in the creation of the false visions? It would all make sense in a big scheme for Dhoffryn to get his favorite daughter back.

2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in it somewhere, either directly or through one of his girls. It's exactly the sort of thing that a vengeance demon would instigate, and exactly the way that they would do it.

Puppet and Fool for Buffy like this.
  3. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

That makes a lot of sense.

I'd already decided that D'Hoffryn didn't mean it in season 3 when he said Anyanka would live out her mortal life, he just wanted to scare her...but when she was about to get married then that startled him and made him realize he really was about to lose her. He sure was fast enough to take her back, that time being the one to ask her to come back rather than the other way around.

Maybe if Anya refused to go back to vengeance, saying that's what got her here and she sees how much pain it wreaks and that it's an endless cycle of misery for all sides that she no longer wants to take part in, then he'd have had her killed (or tormented further) instead. He is a demon that gets off on suffering, after all, especially those who somehow hurt or offend him (though he was nice enough--patient, which comes naturally to a being as ageless as D'Hoffryn, is probably a more accurate word--with Willow).

Fool for Buffy likes this.
  4. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Squeak

Black Thorn
    I wouldn't put it past him. In fact, he probably DID set the whole thing up.

Bastard.

Fool for Buffy and Priceless like this.
  5. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    The wedding crasher brought his magic viewing ball that foretold the future of Xander and Anya (although in this future, Xander still has both eyes, so unless marriage saves him from being blinded, this future is bogus). Who gave it to him? Maybe d'Hoffryn or one of his demons. The OP's idea is perfectly plausible.

6. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I've never thought of that, but it does make sense that D'Hoffryn would want to get revenge on Anya for leaving him. He was also pretty quick to try and get her back into the vengeance fold.

7. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I never thought of that either but it does make more sense for him to be involved than just some random man with a vendetta against Anyanka.

8. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

D'Hoffryn also told Anya after killing Halfrek "Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain" (can't remember the exact quote) so it's quite possible being mortal was Anya's punishment and that D'Hoffryn wanted her back.

9. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

That certainly seems to fit with what we know of D'Hoffryn but was it just off his own back? I mean, was the only motivation to get Anya back? I always thought Xander's "mistake" in WMWF was poorly explained. "Well, I didn't know what was gonna happen! I just thought there were gonna be dances and songs. (to Anya) I just wanted to make sure we'd... we'd work out. (nervous smile) Get a happy ending". The point I'm making is - BtVS has been telling us for months that Xander was uncertain and the man turning up conveniently justified his doubts. Also - S10 - doesn't it say D'H has immense power to bend reality BUT only if a human wishes it (I could be making this up!)? I just wondered if there was a bigger picture (I'm generally not good with big pictures!)?

PS - wanted to comment on a comment you left for me earlier but I've no idea how to do it! :(

10. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

It does make sense mostly because after Giles destroyed Anyanka's powercenter, it should reverse all the wishes she had granted, which means the demon who ruined Anya's wedding should have been a man again.

thrasherpix: Ahhh, too many paradoxes for my brain to process today! :P
  11. Dora

Dora Potential

Personally I do not think D'Hoffryn had anything to do with the demon
    Anya was partly at fault of the Russian revolution you can not change what has gone before , so once the guy was made a Demon that was that, but how did he return to human form ?
    Ethan Rayne points out Xander loses hie eye not shown in the crystal ball of the future so false.
    This is Xander the reel problem is he would never leave any of the scoobie girls at the alter even if he married them all .....but especially Anya
    Its S6 and Marti Noxious is show runner , so no one is acting in Character ,no one is allowed to be happy, even the audience , unless you like a shirtless JM

12. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

JM wasn't happy with the amount of shirtless/naked scenes he had to do. MN objectified him, had it been JW objectifying SMG then there would've been uproar, but because of the double standards nobody said anything.

thrasherpix likes this.
  13. Dora

Dora Potential

Yep
    JM disliked not only the shirtless naked scenes but also in some of those naked scenes, using his words, making him do things to a friend someone he thought of as a little sister,
    He also disliked the amount of drinking and smoking he was shown doing.
    JM has said you did not know what you were doing until you got the script......fortunately for SMG she had a no nude written into her contract, but that did not stop JW making SMG do things he knew she was not happy with or disliked...both actors were under contract.....
    JW certainly ( to use your term ) objectified SMG in S6 hence part of the reason I believe she left A.S.A.P.

14. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Preemptively, can we make sure we keep this on topic and not veer off into making this D'Hoffryn thread about Spike or James.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  15. AlphaFoxtrot

AlphaFoxtrot Potential

I believe Anya once claimed her job was to cause human suffering to amuse the Lower Beings, which, well, that describes the events of the wedding well enough. It's not outright stated, but seems solid.