• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Faith have to be the weaker slayer?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
If you had a sister that was a minor, and you are a adult, and your parents died and you are dealing with your parents house. Will you tell your sister I am taking the house at 100%
Buffy never said that to Dawn and actually left when Dawn asked her to because Dawn said "This is my house too". Dawn was still a minor at the end of the series when the entirety of Sunnydale, including the house, was destroyed so it's a moot point.

Black Thorn
If you had a sister that was a minor, and you are a adult, and your parents died and you are dealing with your parents house. Will you tell your sister I am taking the house at 100%
I would say I own it because I am her legal guardian and I have to pay the mortgage. So until she gets a job and starts paying towards the house, I own it. It's not like Buffy was going to kick Dawn out the house.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
and I have to pay the mortgage.
And that's exactly why Buffy WOULD NOT have had the house. How the hell did she make mortgage payments? Electric, sewer, etc. They would have foreclosed on them and both would have been on the street.

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
Oh yeah I forgot about season 5's lack of explanation for money.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
And that's exactly why Buffy WOULD NOT have had the house. How the hell did she make mortgage payments? Electric, sewer, etc. They would have foreclosed on them and both would have been on the street.
But, Spanky, didn't you know that fast food employees make sooo much money a month?

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Buffy never said that to Dawn and actually left when Dawn asked her to because Dawn said "This is my house too". Dawn was still a minor at the end of the series when the entirety of Sunnydale, including the house, was destroyed so it's a moot point.
It would be a moot point for Dawn to confirm to Buffy that "this is my house too" if Dawn and Buffy agreed already that the house is joint ownership. Dawn never really confronted Buffy with the ownership of the house. In time, everyone accepted that the house was Buffy's and nobody said the house of Dawn and Buffy.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
When Buffy and Dawns mother died, was Buffy 18 years old or older? If not, both Dawn and Buffy were minors.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Buffy was 20

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
It's possible Buffy may have transferred the mortgage over to her name after Joyce's death, or Willow had the Buffybot do it. Joyce must've kept the paperwork in the house somewhere. Maybe that's where Buffy's money problems stemmed from, the mortgage was draining her funds.

Black Thorn
When Buffy and Dawns mother died, was Buffy 18 years old or older? If not, both Dawn and Buffy were minors.
She was 20 but anyway,
I still live with my family, but if my parents died and my older brother took over being the breadwinner I would be fine with the fact I was living in his house, I'm 16, he's an adult. I wouldn't be annoyed that I didn't have joint ownership.

We should probably get back on topic now...

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
It's possible Buffy may have transferred the mortgage over to her name after Joyce's death.
That's not necessary. The house and the mortgage would be inherited. Along with the funeral bills and all of those hospital bills. Not to mention paying off any remaining student loans she (Buffy) might have had, paying tuition for Dawn, paying for the internet so Willow could surf and feel useful, etc. It would have been more than just "money problems" for her. Unless Mr. Giles gave her a ton of money.

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
Well Giles was getting money from the Watchers' Council again so it's possible that he paid it. He would have needed a hell of a lot of money though.
DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
He did give her a cheque which seemed to be for a large sum of money.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I wouldn't be annoyed that I didn't have joint ownership.
You should be. Unless it's stipulated in your parents will that you have to live there your brother could just sell the house and you'd be homeless. That happened to an aunt of mine.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
It's possible Buffy may have transferred the mortgage over to her name after Joyce's death, or Willow had the Buffybot do it. Joyce must've kept the paperwork in the house somewhere. Maybe that's where Buffy's money problems stemmed from, the mortgage was draining her funds.
Even that we are both atheist, for some reason, with you supporting Buffy, that defines herself as a Christian with displaying a crucifix around her neck -- but displays a unchristian lifestyle dealing with her family members. Is Buffy a unethical atheist that displays a crucifix to get support from Christians?

Black Thorn
Even that we are both atheist, for some reason, with you supporting Buffy, that defines herself as a Christian with displaying a crucifix around her neck -- but displays a unchristian lifestyle dealing with her family members. Is Buffy a unethical atheist that displays a crucifix to get support from Christians?
She never says she is a christian, she wears the cross solely to ward off vampires to any of our knowledge. Even if she was a christian, some people just believe you need to be a good person, and Buffy is on the whole, a good person.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
She was 20 but anyway,
I still live with my family, but if my parents died and my older brother took over being the breadwinner I would be fine with the fact I was living in his house, I'm 16, he's an adult. I wouldn't be annoyed that I didn't have joint ownership.

We should probably get back on topic now...
I did start this topic and I do not see we are off topic. If we can understand the behavior of Buffy with her family members, then we can understand the behavior of Buffy dealing with Faith. If Buffy is unequal and the controlling force with her father, mother and her sister. If she is that controlling, then she cannot be or want to be equal to Faith.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
@DeadlyDuo Seriously, I never thought the amount he gave her was that much. But if it was meant to imply he payed off her mortgage and paid for expenses then it was an even more shitty thing for Buffy to make him feel guilty for wanting to go back home. I just thought he gave a couple grand or something.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Don't start in on the Christian stuff again. The sum of a person is not their religion. Let people believe what they want to believe. Santa is essentially a child's version of God- an unseen entity that rewards a child for being good (by giving them presents) or punishes them for not being good (by not giving them presents). Are you going to go round telling kids Santa isn't real?

Seriously, I never thought the amount he gave her was that much. But if it was meant to imply he payed off her mortgage and paid for expenses then it was an even more shitty thing for Buffy to make him feel guilty for wanting to go back home. I just thought he gave a couple grand or something.
A couple of grand would be of assistance if the mortgage was a couple of hundred a month.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
This is just trolling right?

Buffy wanted her father in her life, he chose to cut himself off.

The house was their home. Forget the legalities. Buffy was dealing with it because she was an adult. If it hadn't have been destroyed they'd have split it eventually.

She wears the cross because Angel gave it to her and it's convenient for shoving down vampire throats. Which devout Christians were in her life to impress?

What's any of it got to do with Faith?

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Don't start in on the Christian stuff again. The sum of a person is not their religion. Let people believe what they want to believe. Santa is essentially a child's version of God- an unseen entity that rewards a child for being good (by giving them presents) or punishes them for not being good (by not giving them presents). Are you going to go round telling kids Santa isn't real?
Still as two atheist women, is not Buffy the most atheist superhero woman in the last 30 years?

She controls her father, her mother and her sister. The only rational reason to develop or antidevelop the characters of her parents is because the need to explain the biological need to explain her birth to adulthood. Her sister was added later, and she was the weakest female character that was developed in the series. Her support of her family members, is more like the designs of what people feel is a atheist.

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
I don't understand why you keep bringing up religion like it is important...

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
This is just trolling right?

Buffy wanted her father in her life, he chose to cut himself off.

The house was their home. Forget the legalities. Buffy was dealing with it because she was an adult. If it hadn't have been destroyed they'd have split it eventually.

She wears the cross because Angel gave it to her and it's convenient for shoving down vampire throats. Which devout Christians were in her life to impress?

What's any of it got to do with Faith?
Everything to do with Faith. If Buffy was so controlling with her family members to make them just weak characters or undeveloped character being Buffy's father. Then Buffy is a controlling freak with her family. If she is that controlling with her family, then we have to deal with her as a slayer. With having two slayers, and one a controlling person with her family -- it proves she would be controlling with Faith as well. If the fans are willing to accept Buffy and her atypical behavior with her family. Then the fans would be demanding that Buffy must be the controlling woman when it is dealing with Faith as well.

Top Bottom