• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Did Faith Need A Relationship?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
For most of her time on the show she was a single girl, but in season 7 had a relationship with Wood, I think this does continue into the comics, but was it needed for her to have a relationship? Or was it more, everyone needs to have someone at the end of the show?

GothicBuffy

Slayer
She definitely didn't need to be in a relationship. While I like her and Wood, I like them as good friends.
Faith deserved better than anyone currently on the show (besides Buffy).

Also, noting Faith's relationships on the show: I'm pretty sure she explicitly went after men Buffy was involved with/liked. Not a coincidence imo. Think it has something to do with wanting Buffy.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I liked her and Wood together. Wish we had more of it. That being said, no, no one on the show "needed" a relationship but that was also the easiest way to add drama. That's why none of the relationship were exactly healthy.

Faded90

Scooby
She didn’t NEED a relationship. I like the idea of her taking Robins ‘not everyone just wants to use and leave you’ forward - but NOT with Robin. She deserves better than this toxic egotistical douchebag.

I like the idea of her having a casual sort of relationship with Gunn, somethings that not heavy and restores her trust in not everyone wanting to use her and that a relationship can be fun. Then a Fuffy endgame obviously 😉

M

M

I'd say the story needed Faith to have someone, not necessarily the character herself. I know the show is called Buffy the Vampire Slayer, not simply Vampire Slayers, so, of course the focus has been on Buffy, but I liked that they were giving Faith some connections outside of her relationship with Buffy. Wood is just one part of this, though. Faith also gets a friendship with Angel on his show, and we get to see how she would be leading a bunch of girls, a role, strangely enough, Faith seems a little better suited for than Buffy. It makes Faith's storyline richer.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm pretty sure I remember an author who wrote a sceenplay of her own book adapted for film, and she said what she regretted is that she had to marry her female protagonist off at the end of the movie, which was different from the book, because that's the only way Hollywood would accept it.

As for real life...I'd hope Faith (and Buffy!) would work out their issues before trying to find romance (and then not so hard) as it would save both themselves and others (also working out THEIR issues) a lot of pain.

I'd like to see more female characters not obsessing over their romantic relationships (or lack of one) as there's plenty more to make them interesting. And while at it, not make them out to be gay or something just because romance is not such a compelling motivation to them (like the "give Elsa a girlfriend" when I think, "please, don't pair her up with anyone, at least not for a long while"). One reason for so many crappy relationships out there is because so many feel worthless or failures somehow for being outside of one, so hook up with whoever they can (and sometimes then try to turn them into the perfect partner, which isn't likely to end well for either side).

Priceless

Scooby
No one needs a relationship and I like that at the end of the show Buffy was single and Faith had the romance, that was a first for the slayers.

Reactions: M
M

M

I'm pretty sure I remember an author who wrote a sceenplay of her own book adapted for film, and she said what she regretted is that she had to marry her female protagonist off at the end of the movie, which was different from the book, because that's the only way Hollywood would accept it.

As for real life...I'd hope Faith (and Buffy!) would work out their issues before trying to find romance (and then not so hard) as it would save both themselves and others (also working out THEIR issues) a lot of pain.

I'd like to see more female characters not obsessing over their romantic relationships (or lack of one) as there's plenty more to make them interesting. And while at it, not make them out to be gay or something just because romance is not such a compelling motivation to them (like the "give Elsa a girlfriend" when I think, "please, don't pair her up with anyone, at least not for a long while"). One reason for so many crappy relationships out there is because so many feel worthless or failures somehow for being outside of one, so hook up with whoever they can (and sometimes then try to turn them into the perfect partner, which isn't likely to end well for either side).
I really agree with this. Louisa May Alcott always hated that her publisher insisted on Jo getting married in Good Wives, the continuation of Little Women. Out of spite,, she made Jo's love interest the least attractive character she could think of. She knew her young readers wanted Jo with someone young and dashing, so she subverted their expectations as much as she could. Ultimately, she preferred Jo as a single writer, much as she was herself.

It isn't just female characters, though. Male characters also get paired off too. I can't think of an adaptation of Sherlock Holmes that does not amp up the relationship with Irene Adler, when I've always read the character as being asexual and simply admiring Adler's abilities.

There are so many other types of love that get ignored on film, but with regards to Faith, we know she's a sexual creature. So, I don't think pairing her off with Wood was such a bad idea. It isn't like it was a permanent relationship. It was just someone else Faith happened to make a connection with.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
It wasn't needed.
I'd rather have had more more scenes with Faith making up with Giles, Xander (especially) and maybe Willow as well. On the show it was friendship and belonging that mattered more to Faith, she never cared about romance.
Faith/Wood happened simply because it was unexpected, which isn't a good enough reason really.

Faded90

Scooby
It wasn't needed.
I'd rather have had more more scenes with Faith making up with Giles, Xander (especially) and maybe Willow as well. On the show it was friendship and belonging that mattered more to Faith, she never cared about romance.
Faith/Wood happened simply because it was unexpected, which isn't a good enough reason really.
This! I would have preferred her scenes in Touched to be with the scoobies (although I understand what they were going for with the episode obviously)

Robins final scene being to trick her into thinking he was dead honestly just kind of summed him up as a character . Being a deceiving douche bag right till the end

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Ah yeah I know it’s just a jokey scene but I just hate Robin. I choose to feel threatened
It's not a jokey scene at all. There is nothing jokey about it. Faith saved his life.

Faded90

Scooby
It's not a jokey scene at all. There is nothing jokey about it. Faith saved his life.
Really? That’s not how I saw it, all she does is touch his face?

Athene
Athene
Imagine they'd had Faith kiss him so he comes back to life like in a fairytale.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Really? That’s not how I saw it, all she does is touch his face?
You saw him, in the previous scene, fade in and out of consciousness. When Faith was talking to him he did again, this time he stopped breathing. She thought he was dead.
You saw after she touched him, his eyes rolled in the back of his head before coming too. Then they were darting all over the place. If she had not have been there, he would have died. His eye movements behaved like someone that had just come to from being unconscious. It was such a subtle bit of acting but I can vividly remember it. Of course I had seen it a few times IRL so that always stuck out to me.

Veronique

Townie
I liked her relationship with Robin, they were good together. She has a strong personality and should find a man with similar personality, like Robin. But she didn't need to be in a relationship.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Has no one recalled her relationship with the mayor? He was the ultimate father figure for her. She could find a sexual relationship anywhere - Wilkins was the first human interaction she wanted to be part of.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Has no one recalled her relationship with the mayor? He was the ultimate father figure for her. She could find a sexual relationship anywhere - Wilkins was the first human interaction she wanted to be part of.
We're were talking about sexual/romantic relationships rather than familial ones.

Top Bottom