• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Firefly fail because of its genre?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I’ve read a lot about Firefly and when Westworld was coming out about how people don’t like the Western genre anymore. Do you think that it was a western, or that it was a combo sci fi/western, that caused it to fail?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
The episodes weren't that good, and the studio interference didn't help. If the show were more like the movie I think it would have had a better chance. It was just too.... samey.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Seriously? Couldn't disagree more. I prefer the show to the movie.
I am not fond of the movie, I merely said I think if the show would have been more like the movie it would have had a better chance at success.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I doubt it. The decline of western films and television is complex, but the success of Red Dead Redemption shows that some audience still exists for the genre. Heck, Doctor Quinn and Walker were things a few years earlier. Not at all the same thing, to be sure. Firefly was failed by the network.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think the space aspect should have been promoted more, there were a lot of shows with the space theme around at that time, Stargate, Farscape, Andromeda, Battlestar Galatica. However it did suffer from the network not knowing what to do with it.

Spanky
Spanky
I never would consider it a "space" show though. There may have been a few episodes in space but it was just a western set in the future. At least to me.

thrasherpix

Scooby
A lot of writers can't accept that their writing is why a genre isn't popular, rather than a genre isn't popular no matter how well written it may be.

I think Firefly failed for other reasons, and in this case, not a fault of the writers.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Even though Firefly was pitched to the networks as "Wagon Train in Space", not much of the writing emphasized the Western genre - you could easily miss it if you had not been told of it. Westerns were popular long ago because people had a connection to the Wild West. When Barry Goldwater made his bid for the presidency in 1964, one of the things he was proud of is that he had met Wyatt Earp, who lived past WWI. There is no one alive now that can say that. Westerns may appeal to modern homesteaders but the kicker here is that they don't have televisions.

I would class Firefly as "Confederates in Space" - people who had tried to secede and failed. And that is now part of history and its importance is declining as time goes on.

Top Bottom