• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Glory really die? And other questions.

AurelWillow

Townie
I have a theory about Glory: when Ben dies, Glory is only weakened (or I thing is the world for "affaiblie"). She can't materialize anymore, but I think if some magic could bring her back to life it could be. It's a theory of course, but I thought to myself, it would have been interesting to bring her back (maybe in another form).

katmobile

Scooby
I remember that in "Spiral" Gregor, the leader of the Knights of Byzantinum said that if Ben dies than Glory dies. So judging from that information she must be dead. However, as far as i see, information about someone or something are mostly given by certain groups/people and often reflect the point of view of that group/people. Thus Dawn says that she cannot open anything anymore in seasons 6, but in the comics it has been proven wrong. Also Giles and the rest of the scoobies assume that soulless vampires are incapable of love, yet Spikes loves very deeply without his soul at least twice (Buffy, Drusilla). Thus what the knights have said does not necessarily need to be true Additionally, at least for humans, there is an afterlife in the Buffyverse. Likewise there might be an afterlife for other species, like demons or gods. So there are chances that Glory is actually alive in one way or an other. And i wonder about the other questions that have been posted as well.
The first exception is due to circumstances around magic in the comics. The second is because the ratio of person to demon in vampires was oversimplified by the Watchers understanding IMO and subject to debate but I don't think vampires are incapable of love souless only true altruism and disinterested conscience.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I have a theory about Glory: when Ben dies, Glory is only weakened (or I thing is the world for "affaiblie"). She can't materialize anymore, but I think if some magic could bring her back to life it could be. It's a theory of course, but I thought to myself, it would have been interesting to bring her back (maybe in another form).
If the Master could be brought back from the dead by his associates by sacrificing the humans near him in "When She Was Bad", they could have written something similar for Glory, complete with the assistance of Dreg and Jinx to bring her back. The fact that they didn't was good judgement on the part of the writers. I was never all that keen on "The Gift" because of the tenuous connection between Buffy sacrificing herself due to Dawn being made from Buffy's blood. Sorry, but if Dawn was made from Buffy to the extent that the sacrifice of one could stand in for the sacrifice of the other, wouldn't she look more like Buffy?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yeah, the world building in Season Five is awful. My first issue would be, we are never really told what a god is, what that title means in the Buffyverse. Are the Old Ones not worshipped by men and lesser demons? Is any demon Society not a cult? Does Glory have some sort of title to her world, or is just the strongest? Didn't Illyria also call himself a God-King? Without context, as far as I'm willing to go is that Glory is just a very powerful Demon Monarch, and does not represent a primal force of the universe.

I cannot explain the metaphysics of the season. I choose to see it like it's part of a religion that you can only understand from the inside, like how reincarnation seems natural for Indians, or something. That doesn't excuse everything, like how come this ancient order of Knights is fighting to keep the Key out of hands of Glory, who is an ancient being, but has only been here since the 1970s.

Regarding Chibi Glory-chan; My understanding is that her natural form is buried within Ben, all the enchantments and brain sucking and shapeshifting were added after she caught wind of the key, and without it, she couldn't focus enough.

Top Bottom