• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Harmony change AT ALL after being Sired?

CordelliasHeart

Potential
Am curious...

In the Sunnydale yearbook, Willow said that despite her faults, Harmony "Came through" for the rest of her class"
Anyone feel that Harmony had any human traits that losing her soul cost her?

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
When did Willow say this, I don't get it, how did Harmony come through?

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
I don't like Harmony and I don't think becoming a vampire changed her at all.

Harmony is a step below Cordelia in the vapid queen stakes, IMO. Cordelia may have had all the money, but Harmony made up for that by aligning herself with the people who could do the most for her - Cordelia got her popularity, Spike earned her a name for herself in the underworld, she thought the cult in 'Disharmony' would help her go places, she took the job with Angel to keep herself safe, and she tied her kite to Marcus when it looked like Angel was going down.

Human or vampire, Harmony put herself first, always. Even the battle with the Mayor, it was better for her to fight than run because she looked good next to her friends and it was in her own best interest if the Mayor was defeated.

Harmony has no loyalties, only to herself. She's proved that over and over and over again, as both a human and a vampire.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
For some reason Harmony reminds me of the 'Ethros' demon in AtS 'I've Got You Under My Skin'. The demon possesses a child only to find that there's no fear or humanity or anything to work with, to use as a handle to control the child- the boy is basically a sociopath so the demon is trapped, powerless.

I just think that the demon that took over Harmony, and that was molded somewhat by her memories (just like all vampires are by their human hosts), just found the most petty, vapid, shallow creature imaginable and had absolutely nothing to work with- pretty much no personality or secret hates or anything.
The demon was wading in shallow waters and, as a result, Harmony changed little. As both Buffy and Cordelia point out.

Harmony, dead or alive, vampire on not, will always be a sheep. She's a follower.

bespangeled
bespangeled
Did Harmony have a soul to lose?
ChaseRules
ChaseRules
The Demon that took over Hsrmony was playing in the kiddie pool so to speak with her brain

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I just think that the demon that took over Harmony, and that was molded somewhat by her memories (just like all vampires are by their human hosts), just found the most petty, vapid, shallow creature imaginable and had absolutely nothing to work with- pretty much no personality or secret hates or anything.
The demon was wading in shallow waters and, as a result, Harmony changed little.
I kind of like that idea that there is nothing dark and evil for the demon to bring about and take over. With Spike and Angel we see that before they were vampires they had problems and suppressed their dark thoughts. So when the demon takes over it works off of that and turns it up 10 fold. Harmony is a sheep but that is where the writers want her. It gives her reason to be in season 5 of Angel. Although I thought it was a little to easy for her to just give up human blood, it really shows how little the demon has an effect on her.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
We can see it even this with other vamps on the show.
When she was human Drusilla was a kind, pious and virtuous woman who tormented by her visions, and even when she's a vampire she still has this innocent, childlike quality which makes her a tragic figure, even in death she's still a victim.
And Darla, even though the only thing we know about her from when she human is that she was a prostitute, seems to be informed by that. She tends to be seductive and cunning rather brutal.
She likes to play games, chiefly with men, (witness the first ever scene in Buffy where she pretends to be all innocent before she kills her 'date'...) her treatment of Holtz and ensoulled Angel were other examples.

So Harmony really was this nothing person, at least Cordelia had hidden depths.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Yes, I agree with the last post by [MENTION=12614]thetopher[/MENTION]. In the end, I don't think Harmony was any different that any of the other vamps we've seen. Liam is similar to Angelus, William to Spike (William the bloody), human Dru and Darla to vamp Dru and Darla etc. Harmony is just another example that proves how the vampire is the person they used to be, they walk and talk as they did, but with a monster taking over.

In the end, the difference is that human Harmony didn't kill, vamp Harmony does. The rest is consistent with who she used to be, as seen with almost every other vampire.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
You all seem to be saying that Harmony was selfish, that she manipulated everything if it needed manipulating so that she would come out on top.
Harmony did have her good points; she liked unicorns.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
I don't think it's canon.

There's nothing in the show about Harmony 'coming through' for anyone that can be seen as being the meaning behind that quote. The only thing that Harmony did was join up with the rest of the graduating class, which would have happened AFTER all the yearbook signings, considering this is where Harmony was sired.

HisMrs

Scooby
Sineya
I never felt like Harmony changed at all. She was still the same vapid, dumb blonde as a vampire that she was as a human.

christina

The Slayer
Sineya
To Tell the truth she is more funny to me as a vampire because she was more on and got to show what a real bone in the ass was with her around and with Wesley,I died when he was sooo pissed at her ripping a page out of his old books he had a Giles part in my eyes!!! I know her now and all of her and was happy she is still not dust yet............

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I never felt like Harmony changed at all. She was still the same vapid, dumb blonde as a vampire that she was as a human.
I agree.
However, She did try to change, just never succeeded in changing (example:In "Real Me" where she had minions and Buffy laughed because knowing what Harmony was in high school, she would have never associated Harmony with the word 'minions' as human Harmony was always more of a follower than a leader (Same trait applies to vampire Harmony as well)).

I don't think that Harmony really changed at all throughout the series, although she would like to think that she did, and she did try. This is what makes her such a hilarious character though, particularly in 'Real Me'. (Thanks for reminding me Smile Time)
Harmony does seem to be a nothing person, but at least she provided me with such laughs, that I could never hate her.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Harmony didn't even seem to gain vampire strength once she was turned. The girly fight with Xander in "The Initiative 4ABB07" shows that she really has not even acquired the vampire strength. The fight turned out as it would have before she was sired. In "Real Me 5ABB02". she gets the jump on Xander but still doesn't finish him off. As a leader with minions, she does not retain control of the group - exactly as would have happened before being sired. Both before and after being sired, she is comic relief - which is fine by me, the story could do with it.

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
We can see it even this with other vamps on the show.
When she was human Drusilla was a kind, pious and virtuous woman who tormented by her visions, and even when she's a vampire she still has this innocent, childlike quality which makes her a tragic figure, even in death she's still a victim.
And Darla, even though the only thing we know about her from when she human is that she was a prostitute, seems to be informed by that. She tends to be seductive and cunning rather brutal.
She likes to play games, chiefly with men, (witness the first ever scene in Buffy where she pretends to be all innocent before she kills her 'date'...) her treatment of Holtz and ensoulled Angel were other examples.

So Harmony really was this nothing person, at least Cordelia had hidden depths.
A Cordelia vampire would have completely kicked butt! 
I agree.
However, She did try to change, just never succeeded in changing (example:In "Real Me" where she had minions and Buffy laughed because knowing what Harmony was in high school, she would have never associated Harmony with the word 'minions' as human Harmony was always more of a follower than a leader (Same trait applies to vampire Harmony as well)).
HARMONY: So, slayer, at last we meet.
BUFFY: We've met, Harmony, you halfwit.

I think that sums her up - hat and Buffy saying she must be dying without a reflection.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Don't think she changed that much. She was just given more angecy to be funny and get on peoples nerves or get in their way more as things progress. I enjoyed her more as a Vampire personally. Liked the stuff with Spike, the cheesy fight with Xander and the later stuff with Cordy in Angel.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
This post disappeared in the server move:

white avenger said:
I think that if we knew more about human Harmony, we would be able to see more differences between her and her vampire counterpart. The truth is, just about all we ever saw of human Harmony was her interaction with Cordelia and the rest of that group of girls. We saw much more of her after she was turned than we ever did as a high school student.

Top Bottom