• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Harmony change AT ALL after being Sired?

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
The server lost my pearls of wisdom :mad:

Harmony did change a lot. She went from a brave girl who laid down her life fighting for her community to a soulless monster with a talent for adaptation in the interest of self preservation at all costs.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I can't remember if I read it somewhere or it was in one of the commentaries I listened to but it was Joss' intent not to have Harmony change after she became a vampire. He was sort of saying that there was no real difference between a high school It girl and a soulless vampire.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
She seemed to have more of a personality after she was sired & was smarter as well . But that was all that did happen .

Sure Harmony changed. She didn't go round killing people before!
She died in the midst of doing a good thing, taking a stand with other people. That should be noted.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yeah, Harm was murdered at the tender age of 18. She really never had a chance, and she wouldn't be the first teenager to squander her youth. My guess is, new vamps inherit a lot of their instincts from the blood, but still have a master who teaches them the ropes. I have to believe Sunnydale, both human and demon was in complete disarray after the Ascension. The White Hats didn't get to embalm her (or burn her, stake her, or decapitate her), the dark survivors went underground, her sire was probably killed. Heck, based on what we saw, she may have never been properly turned, one in a million that being bitten by a vampire is sufficient for turning without a full blood exchange.

ChaseRules

Sineya
[QUOTE="AlphaFoxtrot, post: 1323613, member: 14584 Heck, based on what we saw, she may have never been properly turned, one in a million that being bitten by a vampire is sufficient for turning without a full blood exchange.[/QUOTE]
Could have been . She was bitten but then before anything else happened her Sire was killed & since it was a battle nobody checked so she was buried fast like the rest of them . Does explains a lot of things about Harmony behavior .:eek:

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Sure. IMHO, I just don’t see a Vampire stopping in the middle of battle to tear open her wrist, force feed Harmony, and then move on. When you turn, you have to leave enough blood in her, and you lose your own, which is power to them. I see one doing a quick feed, and leaving her to die, and the Watcher’s knowledge on vampires is partial, that while Turning is the best method for rising a new vampire, less reliable methods are present, and that enough salvia is transmitted during feeding that allows rare turnings with just a bite. That leaves enough ambiguity in the process to allow for situations like Harm, or Sandy, or the Vampires from LA in the Film, or other times when the writers mess up.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Sounds like a great way of making up for those times the writers mess up . But to make it more believable you should have it so it very rare so the Watchers don't know that can happen so as to make it more of a surprise when they show up.

Vampire Willow

Bored now
I can't remember if I read it somewhere or it was in one of the commentaries I listened to but it was Joss' intent not to have Harmony change after she became a vampire. He was sort of saying that there was no real difference between a high school It girl and a soulless vampire.
Get over yourself,’ Joss

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I speculate Harm's turning was mostly an accident. Turning is a fairly complicated ritual, I don't see the minor vampire who killed Harm taking, in a middle of battle, the time to drain Harm of just enough blood, then fill her with demon blood, then let her lie for two nights to walk again. I also don't see the Government allowing any corpse with a bite wound to be anything other than cremated, remember, this is the worst vampire attack in several decades, the Men In Black would have been on this. I believe that Harm was bitten, survived long enough to leave the battle, died outside the quarantine zone, and rose again afterwards, with an extremely weak demonic spirit, like one forged from spit, not blood. The demonic force in Harm had hours if not days to imprint on her, as opposed to moments. This was only possible because the True Demon was present at the battle. All the demonic spirits were empowered by the presence of the Mayor, and what should have been a feeding became a turning. Now, this is just speculation. ME was never really consistent on vamp lore outside of Buffy Season 2, so rule of funny.

Soulfrag

Townie
I feel sorry for her. She's such an outcast and the only mercy is that she's too stupid to realise how awful her situation is or to dwell on her misery for more than 5 seconds. She's played only for laughs, so she lacks depth. No backstory.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The perceptible difference between a mean girl (which is what she was before she was sired) and a vampire is presented as being so small that it appears that no transition has been made.

Harmony was never a leader - Cordelia calls her a sheep because she has no opinions of her own and just follows the edicts and formula of popular culture and if you ever saw the movie "Forrest Gump", that last part of the movie is dedicated to showing that everything we accept as popular culture could have been invented by someone with an IQ of 75. As a vampire, she acquires minions but she loses control of them and gets swept aside as a leader, just as she had no hope of being one when she was human. She hooks up with Spike but he treats her badly. And she has none of the martial arts sense that most vampires seem to acquire from the moment they rise. Her fight with Xander is characteristic of someone who was just as incompetent in death as she was in life.

[youtube]

ChaseRules

Sineya
The perceptible difference between a mean girl (which is what she was before she was sired) and a vampire is presented as being so small that it appears that no transition has been made.

Harmony was never a leader - Cordelia calls her a sheep because she has no opinions of her own and just follows the edicts and formula of popular culture and if you ever saw the movie "Forrest Gump", that last part of the movie is dedicated to showing that everything we accept as popular culture could have been invented by someone with an IQ of 75. As a vampire, she acquires minions but she loses control of them and gets swept aside as a leader, just as she had no hope of being one when she was human. She hooks up with Spike but he treats her badly. And she has none of the martial arts sense that most vampires seem to acquire from the moment they rise. Her fight with Xander is characteristic of someone who was just as incompetent in death as she was in life.

[youtube]
I do think Harmony changed after being sired . I don't know if it was because of the way she had been turned but I liked Harmony a lot more after she became a Vamp . Plus she lasted lot longer then most of the other Vampires in the show . Plus I liked how Xander got into a slap fight with her . I bet you that one fight he never told Willow or Buffy.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think Harmony benefitted from becoming a vampire, she seemed less insecure than she did as a human. Something about her must've kept Spike sticking around, besides the sex, especially as he tolerated her calling him "blondie bear".

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
The vampire advantage of being able to hold one's breath forever, maybe? :-P
Top Bottom