• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Harmony really betray Angel ?

flow

Scooby
Hi @all,

in AtS S5 Not Fade Away Angel says to Harmony:

"You betrayed me. You are betraying me now, even as we are talking."

It happens immediately after Hamilton has shown up and pushed Angel through a penthouse window down to the lobby of Wolfram&Hart`s.

Earlier Harmony had asked Angel, to let her assist him in whatever was coming. He told her to distract Hamilton for him. In the next scene we see Harmony lying in bed with Hamilton.

Although Angel had not explicitly told Harmony to distract Hamilton by having sex with him, he did not exclude it either and might as well have had that in mind. In the scene with Hamilton Harmony says "About Angel`s secret plan...." and then the screen goes black and we never hear her finish that sentence.

But she did not know anything about Angel`s plan. Angel never told her, because he did not trust her. The only thing he mentioned, was, that he was going to pay Archduke Sebassis a visit. And that was a red herring, because Angel poisened Sebassis without even going near him. But anyway, he never told Harmony to Keep that a secret.

He was after Hamilton. He wanted to meet Hamilton alone because he wanted to fight him.He knew Hamilton was inside the building, because Harmony told him so. He told Harmony to keep Hamilton busy and she obviously failed at that, because Hamilton shows up at the Penthouse a second later. But failing is not betraying.

Harmony herself denies that she has betrayed Angel and - as I have always liked her - I want to believe her. That is why I am asking you, if Harmony really betrayed Angel and if so, how did she do it ?

flow

W

WillowFromBuffy

I would rephrase that into: Why should Harmony be loyal to Angel? He treats her like shit.

Harmony in s5 had such potential. Our favourite vampiric Ally McBeal.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Judging by the transcript of NFA I think it's implied that she did betray him:

ANGEL
(walks slowly, painfully toward her)
You betrayed me. You are betraying me now, even as we are talking.

HARMONY
(raising her voice)
Because you never have any confidence in me.

ANGEL
No, because you have no soul.

HARMONY
I would if you had confidence in me.

She denies it initially but then Angel calls her out on it and we get the above exchange. Her 'because' sort of confirms it, but obviously, being Harmony she claims its because he doesn't have confidence in her :rolleyes:.

I would rephrase that into: Why should Harmony be loyal to Angel? He treats her like shit.
Aww, now, they seemed to have parted on good terms:

HARMONY
Are you firing me?

ANGEL
Among other things, yes.

HARMONY
(meekly)
Do you think I could get a recommendation?

ANGEL
Yeah, OK.

HARMONY
But see, if you don't so much live as the other thing, how—

ANGEL
It's already in the desk.

HARMONY
(excited)
You're the best.
(goes to the desk to get her things)

I love this bit. It's so trivial it's kind of sweet!

W
WillowFromBuffy
I agree. I loved that :D
F
flow
Good point ...sigh....

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
@flow You make some good points and I also love Harmony, but I think I love her more if she did betray Angel. She's not supposed to be a good guy. She has her moments with the good side and in the end is always a soulless demon who lacks basic intelligence. Harmony is at her best when everything she does fails miserably but she ends up living somehow anyway.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I have a question . How could Harmony betray Angel when he never trusted her in the first place .
And since he never trusted her there nothing to betray.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
Angel was right to not trust her like in Disharmony when she betrayed Cordy she was ready to let AI get killed. She 's not someone to trust.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
But Angel never trusted Harmony so how could she betray him when he planned on the fact that she would.

thrasherpix

Scooby
But Angel never trusted Harmony so how could she betray him when he planned on the fact that she would.
Because Harmony didn't know that, Angel simply made Harmony's betrayal part of the plan...which is why he didn't recruit her honestly, because Harmony would betray him (as she did), only then it would work against Angel rather than for him.

Lots of people grudgingly place faith in those they don't really trust and still consider it a betrayal when they're betrayed, even if they planned for it.

Top Bottom