• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Did Oz cheat on Willow with Veruca?

Did Oz cheat on Willow just because his wolf found another leg to hump?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
So, after watching the Official Buffy-Board episode rewatch on Kast, which counts more than a normal rewatch episode despite what the @Puppet claims, there was a question posed in the chat.

In the episode Wild at Heart, the earnest Oz and voluptuous Veruca partake in the werewolf sex. The opinions were split down the middle whether having the werewolf sex is still considered cheating when the human side of you doesn't and can't recall.

So... that's the query.

Puppet
Puppet
Someone's in denial...

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Wolves ov Siberia
Black Thorn
In the episode Wild at Heart, the earnest Oz and voluptuous Veruca partake in the werewolf sex. The opinions were split down the middle whether having the werewolf sex is still considered cheating when the human side of you doesn't and can't recall.

Oh my God. 😅

Spanky
Spanky
I tried. I was going to add something about weeping Willow but even I have my limits.

AstridDante

Potential
I just think the cheating thing because of his werewolf side was very forced. Didn’t buy into it, didn’t like it. I guess because I loved Willow and Oz. There are other ways he could have left, his family relocating, maybe something to do with a band/music opportunity

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I just think the cheating thing because of his werewolf side was very forced. Didn’t buy into it, didn’t like it. I guess because I loved Willow and Oz. There are other ways he could have left, his family relocating, maybe something to do with a band/music opportunity
But then Willow would still be pining after him and less likely to fall for Tara. His "cheating" made the most practical sense as far as the story goes.

KaitKat

Potential
It’s been awhile since I’ve watched the episode but based on what I recall the sex wasn’t his fault but the fact that he chose to lock himself with her in a cage without telling Willow or anyone what was going on was questionable. I still love Oz and don’t blame him too much, he made an error in judgment and he showed so much Grace the previous year when Willow had an ongoing affair with Xander I believe he could use some of that grace in turn.

Stake fodder

Soulless
I chose "other" because I think it shouldn't count as cheating, but the real issue is that Willow could tell that (human) Oz was clearly attracted to Veruca. And yes, he chose to lock himself in a cage with her, which makes it a little more like "I was too drunk to remember (but shouldn't have gotten into that situation)" rather than "werewolves gotta werewolf."

WillowsFaith

Potential
It was the most out of character thing for Oz to do. A better way to write him out would be a plot line where he suddenly turns into a werewolf every night. And realizing he puts more people in danger, he leaves and learns to control his ability. Then the Scooby gang realize it was some demonic witch screwing with Willow as revenge for some spell she misused in the past. However, Oz never returns. And Willow has to deal with the failure of letting him go. Knowing it was her magic that started it all. It sets up willows addiction to magic, and keeps Oz as a righteous character. But as far as the cheating question goes. I’ll accept it. Since most of the scoobys over the years have done questionable thing when they were not in thier right head space or being manipulated. Hell, even Willow cheated on Oz and she was redeemed like a few episodes later.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Sorry, i DO remember what a hormone bomb everyone was when I was that age. It is totally believable.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
It’s been awhile since I’ve watched the episode but based on what I recall the sex wasn’t his fault but the fact that he chose to lock himself with her in a cage without telling Willow or anyone what was going on was questionable. I still love Oz and don’t blame him too much, he made an error in judgment and he showed so much Grace the previous year when Willow had an ongoing affair with Xander I believe he could use some of that grace in turn.
Oz knew he was attracted to Veruca. He didn't make the choice to lock them in together for completely selfish reasons but the outcome was fully and completely foreseeable, so I think it counted as cheating. He had sex with someone else, period.

I always thought it was easier for him to let it happen after what happened with Willow cheating on him. She didn't sleep with Xander, of course, but that was an ongoing event that might well have progressed to sex had they not been caught - either on that occasion or on some future one. I think Willow's cheating therefore sowed seeds of their coming apart and Veruca and the wolf tendencies only watered them.

As for the Veruca arc being a poor choice for his leaving? Well, relationships (especially at that age) tend to break up with a couple find someone else or they don't get on or one of them leaves for school or work. It didn't make narrative sense that he'd leave and they obviously seemed to get along. Since the actor (Seth Green) was busy in other acting gigs, and wanted to leave, they needed to write him out.

For him to leave abruptly, there pretty much needed to be a reason. I think that what happened was believable, and I preferred that to his dying (which was one approach they could have taken, one that would have upset most of the fans a lot more). This way, even though he is sort of culpable for the sex, the whole situation with his wolf was not his fault and so he doesn't end up leaving the series as a hated character. I thought it was an interesting arc and one that explored the reality of his being a werewolf.

TheMaster666

Townie
It was the most out of character thing for Oz to do. A better way to write him out would be a plot line where he suddenly turns into a werewolf every night. And realizing he puts more people in danger, he leaves and learns to control his ability. Then the Scooby gang realize it was some demonic witch screwing with Willow as revenge for some spell she misused in the past. However, Oz never returns. And Willow has to deal with the failure of letting him go. Knowing it was her magic that started it all. It sets up willows addiction to magic, and keeps Oz as a righteous character. But as far as the cheating question goes. I’ll accept it. Since most of the scoobys over the years have done questionable thing when they were not in thier right head space or being manipulated. Hell, even Willow cheated on Oz and she was redeemed like a few episodes later.
That's a better plotline for Oz's exit than the real thing, but I doubt the addiction sub-plot for Willow was planned that early on

thrasherpix

Scooby
I voted no, but that's because I take the story as literal rather than metaphorical. If I were to see it as more metaphorical about the id/beast in all of us then I'd see it differently.

I also thought it implied that Oz was now learning the Wolf is ALWAYS inside of him, it's just "in the backseat" outside of the full moon, but still having an effect on him and his behavior, and I can see how that could create an identity crisis and fear (as reflected when forced to live out his nightmare).

This seems backed to me in the Angel episode, like where Nina is in human form but has to restrain herself from ripping her niece's throat out (and had enhanced Wolf senses, just as Oz did).

Priceless

Scooby
I voted yes. Oz was attracted to Verruca as soon as he was in her vicinity, it was obvious every time they were near each other, Willow and Buffy both picked up on it. Oz must have known that if he were near her when he wolfed out, something might happen, so I don't buy him being shocked when it did.

Then he doesn't tell anyone about her, which is a major red flag. If he truly believed he were innocent he could go to Buffy and tell her about Verruca being another wolf and that she needed capture as she wouldn't lock herself up willingly.

He knows he's attracted to her and he drags her into the cell with him. He knew at that point that he would probably end up sleeping with her, he has no more room for denial.

I still love Oz, but like all the characters he's flawed and he makes bad choices in this episode.

whatdBuffyDo

Potential
Sineya
I’d say he did cheat on her.
However,
It’s one of the adjust-the-character-for-the-sake-of-bigger-story things. I think it is an out of character arc for Oz, maybe more so than the S3 cheating subplot is out of character for Xander. Still, as some members stated, it seems logical to break Willow and Oz up in this manner to make Willow ready to fall for Tara. I was against the whole plotline in the past but now I kinda made my peace with it.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Oz pulled Veruca into his cage, he knew what would happen between them and he made a choice. Yes, he cheated.

But there are circumstances, Oz was 'under the influence' when the cheating occurred (Veruca, who had far more control, wasn't under the influence) so I think it mitigates his culpability to an extent.
It would be more forgivable if Werewolf Oz had been out, roaming about the night, then happened upon werewolf-Veruca and then...they decided to see where the moon took them.

Basically its like if two people got blackout drunk and slept together and one of them was in a relationship with somebody else, it's bad but is it unforgivable? I guess that's up to Willow in this scenario.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
She did not want him to leave.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
He cheated on Willow as soon as he was attracted to Veruca and didn’t tell Willow about it.

So being attracted to somebody other than your partner, even for a moment, is cheating?
Don't agree with that at all.

Most would reasonably assert that initiating a kiss could be considered cheating on your significant other, having naughty thoughts about a relative stranger, not so much.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
It wasnt cheating to be attracted. It was cheating to keep her existence a secret and back himself into locking her in with him and having sex that was entirely foreseeable. But there was a degree of diminished capacity in it.

Top Bottom