• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Tara's family know about her sexuality?

S Rou

Potential
We know that she clearly had issues with them and they seemed abusive. I thought the whole "you're a demon" thing was a metaphor for being gay and how many christian parents act when they find out their child is gay.

Was there every any indication that they knew that she is a lesbian?

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
You're definitely right about the metaphor, it was pretty much explicitely said that they used the magic storyline as a metaphor for coming out and sexuality.

So I don't think it really matters whether they knew or not, they knew about the magic and made her feel ashamed for it, which by extension means they knew about her sexuality and weren't accepting of it.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Right on about the metaphor, which is why I think that her family didn't know about Tara's sexuality.
I think if they had done the prejudice would've been much more overt than what we saw in the episode.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Technically Tara's mother was a witch, so it makes it a lot more awkward and disturbing to me to think a lesbian was forced to give birth to children raised to either hate their mother or themselves (and the mother obviously surrendering to self-loathing as well). 'Course it's tragic enough as it stands.

But generally speaking...people like that tend to believe sexual orientation is a choice (but will virtually never admit to the times they found their own gender attractive and desirable as either romantic or sexual partners), though sometimes they show signs like they don't really believe their own words on that (*) so I'm not certain if it's a type of self-deceit about the orientation so they feel justified on hating it (and the person). But if it's a choice, then it's not something she'd turn into as she got older, at least not inevitably. They'd instead try to surround her with Bibles, crosses, and other religious props to "keep the demons away" rather than assume she WAS a demon. Besides, it's a stretch to compare Tara's trying to hide her sexuality in making other unrelated demons invisible to the rest as well.

(*Btw, I know a guy who was abused horribly because his family thought he was gay based on his mannerisms and even just being nice, and there was an incident with a pink shirt he wore that became traumatic. He was straight, and his family easeed up--he later learned a few of them celebrated--after an angry father called his dad to say if he ever caught the boy naked in bed with his daughter again he'd kill him, and this guy said at the time he wondered why he didn't get in trouble for that. He ironically beat up on his dad--they exchanged vicious blows and he got a scar from a ring his dad wore--after his dad later called that girl whom he was in love with a slut. Because of his horrid childhood he ended up bashing some gay bashers because they reminded him of his male relatives that beat up on him because they merely suspected him of being gay, and he sympathized with those who actually were. The point being he NEVER made a choice as a kid to be gay but because of his behavior it was wrongly assumed he was, and that implies that they believe it's an inherent trait rather than a conscious choice.)

(ETA: I recall a YT vid that went viral about when a boy came out. His mother insisted it was a choice he made, but also said something along the lines that she knew even as he was born! At least IIRC. It sounds too stupid to be believable, but people often are.)

Last edited:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I don't think the writers touched on whether Tara's family knew she was gay or not because of the idea that, because they were saying Tara was a demon, it could come across as equating being gay= demon.

I don't think being gay is a choice. You either are or you're not or you find both genders attractive.

white avenger

white avenger
Technically Tara's mother was a witch, so it makes it a lot more awkward and disturbing to me to think a lesbian was forced to give birth to children raised to either hate their mother or themselves (and the mother obviously surrendering to self-loathing as well). 'Course it's tragic enough as it stands.
That's assuming that Tara's mother was forced to give birth to a child in the first place. For all we know, she never had any plans to allow the rest of her family anywhere near Tara, but died unexpectedly, leaving the child at their mercy. Obviously, her mother's estate was held in trust for her until she reached maturity, which would be why her family wanted her back under their domination.

And as for the actual identity of Tara's father, what if she never had one. Maybe her mother used some sort of parthenogenesis spell to impregnate herself without necessity of a male partner. That could have made for a really interesting story arc.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I don't think witches are meant to represent homosexuality as a whole. We had plenty of witches who weren't gay (like Amy). I think magic was meant to reprensent Willow and Tara's relationship in this specific example, not as a general rule in the B'verse.

S Rou

Potential
That's assuming that Tara's mother was forced to give birth to a child in the first place. For all we know, she never had any plans to allow the rest of her family anywhere near Tara, but died unexpectedly, leaving the child at their mercy. Obviously, her mother's estate was held in trust for her until she reached maturity, which would be why her family wanted her back under their domination.

And as for the actual identity of Tara's father, what if she never had one. Maybe her mother used some sort of parthenogenesis spell to impregnate herself without necessity of a male partner. That could have made for a really interesting story arc.
So her "dad" in the episode family wasn't really her dad? Who was he then? Stepdad?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Maybe it wasn't really Tara's dad; his entire vibe was more like a hardcore polygamist; one of his younger wives had escaped, and he was pissed. Plus, her "cousin" Beth was a sister wife. Just saying.

Last edited:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Maybe it wasn't really Tara's dad; his entire vibe was more like a hardcore polygamist; one of his younger wives had escaped, and he was pissed. Plus, her "cousin" Beth was a sister wife. Just saying.
I always thought Beth was the brother's wife. Didn't Tara's dad say ALL the women in the family turn into demons, it seemed a bit odd that he would let Beth out if that was the case.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
She was billed as 'Cousin Beth'.
I always figured she was slightly younger than Tara...That was why she was so pissed when she realised Tara wasn't coming home...she was next in line to be their 'Slave'.

Alittlegrim

Stuck In The Middle
I always just assumed that they did. There being a belief, not that long ago, among some of the crazier religious zealots, that homosexuality was literally caused by demonic possession.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
I always just assumed that they did. There being a belief, not that long ago, among some of the crazier religious zealots, that homosexuality was literally caused by demonic possession.
Absolutely, I always saw her family's treatment of/behavior around her to be a clear metaphor for homophobic families with LGBT members.

Top Bottom