• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did you ever feel for Harmony?

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Yes I feel empathy for Harmony. I believe that she is a very clever play on the majority of females that just don't get when a guy 'just isn't that into you'. I have been the Harmony in many relationships that have mirrored Sparmony. I also have the same tendency to have no filter to my mouth (slash fingers when they type). I can completely understand where she is coming from.

K
kittenpoker
word! :-)
T
This Year's Girl
:heart: I agree!

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
I did feel sorry for her at times, and occasionally enjoyed her presence, although the 2D nature of character stopped me from every overly caring about her.

This Year's Girl

Grateful grapefruit
Sineya
I really like Harmony. Sure, she was a little ditzy, but she was smart and assertive too, and really funny! When Spike treated her like crap it really hurt my heart! She didn't deserve that.

K
kittenpoker
I totally agree!

brooke2707

Townie
Seriously does anyone need to ask.

I ALWAYS feel bad for Harmony. I love her so much!! I liked her as a human, but a vampire she is hilarious!!! I think she does well to show that evil has a good side. She clearly didnt want to be evil, you can tell with her attempts at being bad .. theyre not very good.

When she appeared in Angels last season I was so happy :)

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
"Harmony has minions?" - Buffy in one of the rare times we see her laugh.

Harmony would be a dislikeable character in real life, but she serves the purposes of the story very well by supplying the humour. She really doesn't make a terrifying vampire but she brings continuity to the series - she is the only character who appears in the first episode of Buffy and the last episode of Angel.

R
Robb Stark
[No message]

emptyvessels

Can we rest now?
I loved Harmony, especially as a "ruthless" vampire. She was hilarious! I felt for her a lot, too. Not just on Angel and Buffy, but a lot of people in the fandom seem to be pretty harsh/hostile towards her.

I'm so glad to see that so many of you share my sentiments!!

itssmiletime

Potential
Well, when Spike treats her like trash, yes of course I do. But that's it. She is a bully, she is vapid and ignorant, three very ugly traits for a person to have. Her treatment of Jonathan, Willow and Xander is very awful and the fact that she never grows from it ('trying' isn't good enough) means I don't sympathise with her on that front.

Yes! An 18 year old girl has her future ripped away from her--is forced to become an evil, dead, bloodsucking fiend with a serious sun allergy for an eternity, or until staked--whichever comes first.
Agree with this, but I got to say. . .What kind of future would Harmony have as a human. I do love the character of Harm, because of the laughs and some of the feeling, but I wouldn't say that she is a character that is deep, or has changed much.:D 
I really like Harmony. Sure, she was a little ditzy, but she was smart and assertive too, and really funny! When Spike treated her like crap it really hurt my heart! She didn't deserve that.
Me too, I really like Harmony! Not so sure about the smart part though. . .

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
It's worth remembering that Harmony died in the Graduation Day battle. She picked up a weapon and died trying to protect the people of Sunnydale. She wasn't a very appealing person up to that point but at 18 years old she made a brave decision and it might have been a turning point for her. Not everyone who is a *insert preferred insult here* in high school stays that way forever. So yes I felt sorry for Harmony when she died.

Lila

Townie
It's worth remembering that Harmony died in the Graduation Day battle. She picke'md up a weapon and died trying to protect the people of Sunnydale. She wasn't a very appealing person up to that point but at 18 years old she made a brave decision and it might have been a turning point for her. Not everyone who is a *insert preferred insult here* in high school stays that way forever. So yes I felt sorry for Harmony when she died.
I had to rewatch the Graduation Day fight to see this!
True, Harmony does die in that battle, though she's running away. But earlier on, Willow hands her a weapon and whe seems ready to use it. She must have taken part. Cordelia also has a good moment when she stakes a vampire.

How hot is Angel in that fight? It's a great scene for him.

I'm glad Harmony had her moment. She was quite the anti-Buffy in a lot of ways.

I love the way she is brought back in S5. There's been a break in in the Magic Shop, and Giles notices something is missing which he assumes must have been very valuable. It turns out it was a unicorn. Everyone is very baffled. The next thing, the camera pans along Harmony's unicorn collection. :D It made me laugh.

HyperionWitch

Townie
It's worth remembering that Harmony died in the Graduation Day battle. She picked up a weapon and died trying to protect the people of Sunnydale. She wasn't a very appealing person up to that point but at 18 years old she made a brave decision and it might have been a turning point for her. Not everyone who is a *insert preferred insult here* in high school stays that way forever. So yes I felt sorry for Harmony when she died.
Not that it matters or changes the end result all that much, but one thing I kinda wondered, while she lived on for at least 5 years beyond graduation as a vampire, just because you graduate high school doesn't mean that you're 18 at the time. When I graduated in real life there where still a number of my classmates that where still anywhere from a few days to in once case about three months shy of 18 when we walked across the stage.

Not that a few days or weeks, or even two or three months would have made that big a difference in the grand scheme of things, but for all we known in universe, the real human Harmony might well have died before hitting the big one eight.

One of the biggest regrets or what-ifs in regards to Angel being cancelled instead of a season 6, unless it's renewal had seen the powers that be deciding to hold off on bumping Harmony to main cast status, or unless Mercedes McNab had decided after season 5 that she just wasn't interested in another season, I think it would have been interesting seeing the character in a main cast roll for an entire 22 episode season, not just an ensemble character with a one off episode here and there or a few key scenes in other episodes.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Sure, when she gets mistreated by Spike in S4/5- its clear that she cares about him and he doesn't return that.
But once she crosses over to Angel? Nope, not ever.

Karol

With a soul
Sineya
I really like Harmony and feel empathy for her. Except the early Buffy seasons, I enjoy how she changes over the years, she was never a "normal" vampire... she's so clueless that sometimes she doesn't know how to be evil haha

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I never really felt Harmony grew much as a character over her time on Buffy, or Angel. She just came across as a pretty consistent comic-relief airhead, so I didn't really care for her that much.

She was pretty, but that's about it.

Scooby Corps
Scooby Corps
Yup, very good summed up. I don't think her character was even meant to evolve. Just to provide semi-funny slapsticks and to look pretty.
gite63
gite63
Yeah, she served her purpose, and within that purpose, I like her very much!

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Just think of the punishment she is facing - Harmony was always the shallow, ignorant girl who lived for looking good and now she can't see herself in a mirror. No chance to check hair or makeup and forever wondering if something is out of place. But she is the only character to span the Buffyverse - she was in the first episode of Buffy and the last episode of Angel.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
For being a airhead Harmony knew how to stay around . Can't fault her on that :D

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
I never really felt Harmony grew much as a character over her time on Buffy, or Angel. She just came across as a pretty consistent comic-relief airhead, so I didn't really care for her that much.

She was pretty, but that's about it.
Exactly - there was no character arc, no character growth - she was a vapid blond stuck in amber. I never found her amusing or engaging, or even all that unusual as a vamp. In fact, given that she was obviously feeding and she tried to kill the entire cast of Angel I never quite got why she wasn't dusted.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I found the character very entertaining. She definitely didn't grow over the series but at the same time she gave that nice comedic relief when needed. She and Spike had an awful relationship but they sure looked pretty together while being really bad.

Top Bottom