• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Did you feel sad Darla at the beginning of Epiphany?

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Did you feel sad Darla at the beginning of Epiphany?

When she discovered that Angel didn't lose his soul contrary to before with Buffy, I mean ouch! She looked quite hurt about it.

Priceless

Scooby
I love Darla and there have been times when I've felt sorry for her, but this isn't one of them. She was trying to hurt Angel not help him and she was doing it so she could have her playmate back. It was also a stupid plan, one that hadn't been completely thought through, and I'd never thought of Darla as being stupid before this. As a prostituted woman in her mortal life, she of all people should have known that sex alone can never be enough to bring about 'true happiness' and the enormous change she wished for Angel.

Antho

Scooby
It was also a stupid plan, one that hadn't been completely thought through, and I'd never thought of Darla as being stupid before this. As a prostituted woman in her mortal life, she of all people should have known that sex alone can never be enough to bring about 'true happiness' and the enormous change she wished for Angel.
I don’t think that was her plan, at least not initially. It’s been a while since I have seen this episode but I remember correctly she said that she came to kill Angel and to have this object that allow to see the senior partners ( it’s sort of gloves ?). I don’t think having sex with Angel was her initial plan. But of course she changed her mind once she has noticed that Angel wasn’t very well.

I'm not sure what her initial plan was. Dexter gave Angel the glove, Darla stole the glove and went to Wolfram and Hart (though I'm not sure what it was she wanted out of going - that is never explained). Angel stole the glove back and used that to kill the recently manifested senior partner. He got the band of Blacknil from the now dead senior partner and that took him to the home office. He went there expecting to die only it turns out hell was on earth all along. He is very depressed goes home and there is Darla.
But if he expected to die going to the home office, presumably she thought he might too - so I don't know what she's doing at the hotel, she shouldn't really be expecting him back. He throws the band of blacknil on the floor and she picks it up - so I guess that was what she wanted, though again - no explanation as to why. Then Angel throws her through the glass window of his door and has sex with her.

what this scene shows is that Darla has bought into orgasm being the moment of perfect happiness just as much as everyone else has. Because despite the less than optimum scenario in which they find themselves, she still thinks just sex is enough to lose his soul.
In the scene where she finds out that Angel is still well, Angel she actually mirrors Buffy's heartbreak - saying the same words 'was I not good?' And presumably that was done on purpose by the writers. However the moment is undercut by her then remembering that she is not a 17 year old just had her first time, but a 400 year old ex prostitute, she knows it was excellent and insists they go again. Her disappointment becomes annoyance quite quickly.
I think she's disappointed that she hasn't got Angelus back, I think she's more disgusted by Angel than she has been in a long time and is upset by the realisation that his soul is better anchored than she thought and that he is further away from her than she realised. But she didn't go in to the hotel looking to sleep with him, so it's a spur of the moment upset; a reaction to a circumstance she hadn't foreseen rather than genuine heartbreak.

But I don't feel bad for her, no. I don't feel bad for Rose West that Fred isn't still around for another game of dig up the patio.

Top Bottom