• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Did you find Cordelia to be kind of an empowering character?

PurplePoof

Surgeon Of Mean
I still, in many ways, consider Cordelia to be somewhat of a inspiration. Growing up with her I had a lot of appreciation and respect for a character who was able to say exactly what was on their mind and not care if it hurt people's feelings or came back to bite them in the ass later. I think we'd have a lot less problems if people were more upfront. I think learning to stand up for myself had a lot to do with watching Cordelia every week on BTVS, and I returned to her "sheep" speech on many occasions when dealing with the fall-out of openly declaring my homosexuality in high school.

I know we all find Cordelia humorous and entertaining, but does anyone else really find her kind of empowering?

H
Harm
she's smart, funny, believes in herself and hot...what more can we ask for??
C
Chase Summers
Completely empowering. Awesome role model

Harm

Scooby
I love Cordelia. She makes me so happy! She is so HERSELF and not about other people, I love how confident she is in herself. Plus c'mon man she is fine.

Chase Summers

Going to Heaven!
Cordy was strong, confident, and beautiful. She never let a setback keep her down for long. She always reinvented herself as needed, but maintained her core identity. At first glance she was selfish, but it was really her being practical. Like when she wanted Angel to charge people for saving them - sure certain people needed certain designer things, but at the end of the day it was about running a business and paying rent in order to continue helping people in this way. I don't think Cordy spoke her thoughts without any regard to people's feelings, always. Many times it was about what they needed to hear. The best thing about Cordy is that she knew her worth and she knew what her strengths were and she played to them. If someone disagreed with her, it was no big because any negative comment about Cordelia was irrelevant to her because she knew her worth. Best of all - even though she was used by something evil, died, and never really got to be with her true love (ANGEL) she left this world being needed and loved and missed.

Cordy was kinda dead on when she said in BtVS Season 2: "Oh Buffy, it's like we're sisters, with really different hair!"

hannahfngrl26

Captain Forehead
Being the fan that I am I love how Cordy went from being this translucent, vapid whore to a deep caring person. It shows that no matter how shallow you are you can always recover from it. I heart her to peices fo sho!!

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
Cordelia was definately the single most empowering character in the entire 'verse. In early Buffy she was Queen Bitca, but she allowed herself to do what was right over what was popular. When absolutely necessary. On Angel, however, she really shone. She was the strongest, truest, most stoic character in the show, and she never lost her bitca tounge. Buffy was boring. Willow was weak. Anya gave up. Cordelia fought till the end. And for that, she gets major respect.

C
Chase Summers
Well said!

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
Best of all - even though she was used by something evil, died, and never really got to be with her true love (GROO or XANDER) she left this world being needed and loved and missed.

Cordy was kinda dead on when she said in BtVS Season 2: "Oh Buffy, it's like we're sisters, with really different hair!"

Ya I know tell me about it, that did suck. And she is the ONLY original scoobie who died.

But ya Cordelia was great and I totally loved her honesty and bitcaness. Infact it kind of rubbed off on me. Though I do think her last two seasons werent fully true to the charecter.

C
Chase Summers
haha I believe I mentioned her true being Angel lol, but I see your OTHER points :)

Chase Summers

Going to Heaven!
Though I do think her last two seasons werent fully true to the charecter.

Which two seasons would that be? 3&4 of Angel or 4&5 of Angel? Cause I thought "You're Welcome" was totally and truly Cordelia Chase.

I found Cordy to begin to be out of character only in year 4 of Angel and well that was due to her special circumstance.

HOWEVER - Cordy's hair toward the end of year 3 was some kind of unattractive, something I thought was uncharacteristic.

P.S. Angel + Cordelia = Soul Mates LOL

Growing up with her I had a lot of appreciation and respect for a character who was able to say exactly what was on their mind and not care if it hurt people's feelings or came back to bite them in the ass later. I think we'd have a lot less problems if people were more upfront.

Yeah try doing that here. All you get it bitch bitch bitch!!!

Anyway, to the rest of your comment, it pleases me when I read that someone drew the strength to 'declare' something as potentially life changing as their sexuality from characters that are well written in shows like this, gives the characters, actors and show a new level of need within society (in a good way) and its even nicer when its the strength of the characters that help others in areas not necessarily associated with.

Most people cite Willow, Tara and to a LOT lesser extent Kennedy as inspiration when it comes to their understanding, acceptance and even declaration of sexuality.

Me personally, I wear my 'bisexuality' on my sleeve in the real world, never really thought about it.

Online I will be honest I toy with different personas.

InsaneMystic

Ex-Scooby
Buffy was boring. Willow was weak. Anya gave up. Cordelia fought till the end.
If you had kept up the alliterations for Anya and Cordy, I would have SO given you karma (even if I disagree on Willow weakness ^^ ). :p

L
Lindsey McDonald
Anya was Awesome. So much more rhetorically enticing, but, y'know, it kinda undermines my point! :P

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
Which two seasons would that be? 3&4 of Angel or 4&5 of Angel? Cause I thought "You're Welcome" was totally and truly Cordelia Chase.

I found Cordy to begin to be out of character only in year 4 of Angel and well that was due to her special circumstance.

HOWEVER - Cordy's hair toward the end of year 3 was some kind of unattractive, something I thought was uncharacteristic.

P.S. Angel + Cordelia = Soul Mates LOL

3&4. I dont consider S5 a Cordy season since she just appeared in one episode (total lameage). But ya YW was the truest Cordelia had been since like Season2 imo.

T

T.I.P

I love Cordy on Angel, and i can understand why some people would find her inspirational. but on Buffy she was a petulant brat who, if this was real life, would have got her ass deservedly kicked so many times by Buffy.

PurplePoof

Surgeon Of Mean
I love Cordy on Angel, and i can understand why some people would find her inspirational. but on Buffy she was a petulant brat who, if this was real life, would have got her ass deservedly kicked so many times by Buffy.
Whether or not she was a petulant brat is all a matter of perspective...you're looking far too surface.

C
Chase Summers
And besides, Cordy wouldn't care what others thought even in RL! :)

Nix

🤪
Sineya
when she grew as a character in Angel - watching her change and learn that its really ok to accept who you are.. like the ep with her fav house ghost.. :) sweet ep that was standing up to the evil lady and then on the phone to her mates was funny...

Chase Summers

Going to Heaven!
3&4. I dont consider S5 a Cordy season since she just appeared in one episode (total lameage). But ya YW was the truest Cordelia had been since like Season2 imo.

Hmmmm, interesting. You don't find AtS Season 3 Cordy to be a natural progression? I'll admit she had her moments of being a tad too sensitive and considerate of other people's feelings, but I didn't bat an eye when she told Skip to demonize her. But I digress.

The point of the topic is that Cordy IS empowering. She continued carrying Angel's mission as if it were her own, not because she had to, but because it was right and she loved him. When baby Conner came along, her maternal instincts kicked in thus allowing us to see more Cordy softness.

Top Bottom