• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Did you find Lorne annoying?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Auf'm Bahnhof Zoo im Damenklo
Black Thorn
I'll admit that for a short time, Lorne was actually entertaining. But after awhile, he REALLY became cringe-inducing. Just too corny for words.

What do you think?

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
I loved Lorne, so no. Can you be more specific about what you found annoying and cringe-inducing? I'm only curious

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Auf'm Bahnhof Zoo im Damenklo
Black Thorn
I loved Lorne, so no. Can you be more specific about what you found annoying and cringe-inducing? I'm only curious
His obsession with the Hollywood scene (S5) and film stars just made me want to scream. (Possibly because I live in LA, and he reminds me of hyperactive entertainment reporters, whom I throughly despise, lol)

Don't get me wrong...he had many GREAT moments, especially in S2. Andy had wonderful comedic timing. (The Pylea episodes proved that!)

He just began to bug me.:p

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Fair enough

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
For the most part I liked him but one thing that bothered me was the pet names he had for all the people he would talk to. Other than that, every time he showed up, he was interesting.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I feel like he had no purpose a lot of the time, and him staying at the hotel didn't work as well as when he had the bar.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
No, he's lighthearted, a sweetheart & brings humor, I like him a lot even post S2, him proposing a drink to Illyria always made me laugh. His last scene is so sad for him. Poor of him killing someone when he's always been so kind & against violence.

Last edited:

Priceless

Scooby
I like Lorne but I wish the writers had given him more to do. He was just wallpaper by the end, always there but doing nothing. I did like the end of his story on AtS, I thought that was a brave move by the writers.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yeah, it's worth remembering that Andy Hallett wasn't a formally trained actor or musician, that he was able to parlay a tragically short career out of what essentially was being really good at karaoke. That's not to knock the guy, few actors get as far as he did. But he didn't have a lot in the tool box.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
Well maybe the role didn't test his range exactly but I thought personally that AH was much more than merely serviceable. For the most part he exceeded any expectations I had. As others said, I think the problem with Lorne was that the character grew increasingly direction-less and towards the end they no longer had any fresh ideas with what to do with him.

Nix

🤪
Sineya
I have to say I didn't connect with his character at all. So I didn't like him in any way!!

I love Lorne but I wish he was either given more to do or kept as a recurring character who helps out but isn't one of the core. It felt like the writers didn't know what to do with him, which is a shame because he was a great addition to the family but once he was there he was pretty much wasted. He gets some really great, really dark moments - like when he reads that new member of Gunn's gang in 'this old gang of mine' or when he is sent to kidnap Wes and Gunn to free them from Jasmine's spell and of course the end of the series. I think he pulls them off really well and is wonderful at the more lighthearted stuff - so I certainly don't think he was underutilised because Andy Hallet wasn't up to the job, he was naturally good - but he was underutilised. He either needed more to do or to appear less often. It doesn't help that the Lorne centric episode in season 5 is not a good episode - which is nothing to do with Lorne, he's great in it, but the episode itself is not a good one.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I really like Lorne a lot but dislike how slowly he became bitter in S5. He was all bubbly and friendly in his first 3 seasons, but he’s the type that becomes somber and cranky when feeling down. As S5 progressed, I started to miss his usual cheerful personality. I felt that he slowly lost the spark, and when Fred died, that void was too big and noticeable.

V
Veronique
Sad Lorne made me sad!! :'(

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Depends on the season. I liked him in S3 and 4 where he seemed to be part of the group and contributing to the plot or with good ideas. I think he's the moral guy of S4.

But in S2 he feels like more of a plot-device than a character, plus I really don't care for the prolonged Pylea stuff. And in S5 he was wasted for the most part, with the exception of 'Life Of The Party' (not a great episode) I barely remember him doing anything of note until the end.

His obsession with the Hollywood scene (S5) and film stars just made me want to scream.
Heehee rhyme-yness :D

Cohen

Hellhound
As a gay man, I appreciated his queerity and campiness. He was both feminine and masculine, and as a baby gay, he was the first true "queer" character I saw growing up. That being said, I agree that he became a background character the more he went along, and the more they stripped away his importance to the group. Blowing up Caritas really dismantled his character, and they didn't know quite what to do with him after that.

Top Bottom