• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did you ship Willow & Xander in the beginning?

Just started listening to Tiny Fences podcast and one of the reviewers had never seen the show before and she is shipping Xander and Willow, which seems strange to me now. Can anyone else remember shipping them when they first watched? Should they have gotten together and how do you think that would have changed the show?

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
It would have made things to dull . With the two of them going out there would have been no reason for them to not have Angel join in since otherwise Buffy is all alone & there would have been so many things not in the show if that was the case .

I used to ship them before Spander, but just briefly. I know if I didn't fall in love with Spander I would probably be a Xillow shipper.

If you ask me Spander is a lot more believable then Xillow myself .
It is now, but in S1 I expect a lot of people probably shipped Xander and Willow, because she liked him so much and if you loved Willow you'd want her to get the guy she wanted, because Willow adored Xander.

I think they could have gotten together and found that they just didn't work as a romantic relationship and were better off as friends. Or they could have gotten together and Xander cheats with Cordy or Willow cheats with Oz or Tara. I think if Joss wanted it, Willow and Xander could have been written lots of different ways.

I think if Xillow got together in Season 1 then there would be no need for Cordelia, Oz, Anya or Tara. The only upside is that there would be no need for Kennedy either :p

Xillow would've narrowed things down too much storywise and Buffy would've always been the third wheel during the daytime. Also it's nice to show that a male and female can be friends without it leading to romance. In that respect it's a shame that they were going to make either Willow or Xander gay because it takes away the fact that "a guy and a girl can be both straight and just friends" and turns it into "a guy and a girl can be friends when one of them is gay". Still, Tillow broke down the barrier of showing a lesbian relationship on tv and actually gained a positive reaction from the audience. Had Kennedy been Willow's first lesbian relationship, then I think the reaction would've been less positive and more negative, which could then have the unfortunate consequence of the network translating that reaction as the audience not wanting to see a same-sex relationship on tv, rather than the audience thinks Kennedy is a stuck up brat and Willow could do better.

Puppet
Puppet
It's always entertaining to hear your deep hatred and scorn for Kennedy :D
ChaseRules
ChaseRules
I agree with you . I love Tillow & I don't even think there a ship name for Kennedy/Willow . And if there is don't tell me :)

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I like to think that Willow's crush on Xander was real and that it does survive even after Willow moves on to women. I do think Willow had crushes on Xander, Giles, Angel, Fred and may even Buffy, but I don't want to see her in a relationship with any of them. There is a big difference between having a sweet spot for someone and seriously wanting to be with them.

In @Puppet 's brilliant fanfiction The Power of Three, she moves Xander in with the Rosenbergs, but the she takes it nowhere. Soo disappointed :p

I think if Xillow got together in Season 1 then there would be no need for Cordelia, Oz, Anya or Tara. The only upside is that there would be no need for Kennedy either :p

Xillow would've narrowed things down too much storywise and Buffy would've always been the third wheel during the daytime. Also it's nice to show that a male and female can be friends without it leading to romance. In that respect it's a shame that they were going to make either Willow or Xander gay because it takes away the fact that "a guy and a girl can be both straight and just friends" and turns it into "a guy and a girl can be friends when one of them is gay". Still, Tillow broke down the barrier of showing a lesbian relationship on tv and actually gained a positive reaction from the audience. Had Kennedy been Willow's first lesbian relationship, then I think the reaction would've been less positive and more negative, which could then have the unfortunate consequence of the network translating that reaction as the audience not wanting to see a same-sex relationship on tv, rather than the audience thinks Kennedy is a stuck up brat and Willow could do better.
Willow and Xander don't have to last forever and be soulmates. They could both go on and love other people, including Cordy, Oz, Tara . . . and even Kennedy! Yes I said it and I don't care! Willow could fall for Kennedy :D

I think Tara was made near perfect simply because she and Willow were a new type of relationship for main stream American tv and the writers needed both women to be popular.

Xander and Buffy are the 'guy and girl can be both straight and jsut friends' relationship, you don't need Willow and Xander for that. Same could be said for Ox and Buffy, though they didn't spend at much time together.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Makes you think that the only reason Kennedy went out with Willow was because at the time they were all living in the same house . If they hadn't I sure Willow would have so not liked her & the series would have been a lot better :D

And the fact that she didn't get killed like Anya & Spike did shows that toxin relationships last in Buffy while healthy ones like Anya & Spike don't .

Ok, I’m one of those people who only watched the show for the first time very recently. AND, I totally shipped Xander with Willow. I think I wanted to see them together more so because I wanted Willow to get what she wanted in life. I love how shy and sweet she was, and seeing her get bullied by Cordy was no fun. It just seemed like Xander was someone Willow wanted to be with for ages, and even though he wasn’t some high school jock, he still seemed unattainable to her. And I wanted her to ‘have’ him, or rather, have a shot with him because even though the experience would obviously end up being a disaster, it would give her this boost of confidence. Of course, oz ended up being the boost of confidence that Willow needed. And then Xander and her getting together just ruined Willow and oz, so that sucked.

But yeah, totally agree with everyone’s points about Buffy being a third wheel, and the whole show changing if xillow had happened.

If Willow and Xander had got together in S1 or early S2, they'd both be totally different characters. Willow would not put up with the ways Xander talks to women, but I also think Xander wouldn't talk like that around Willow as she'd soften him and make him sweeter. I actually think, back in S1 they'd be a very sweet couple

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
If Xander and Willow had gotten together shortly after When She Was Bad, they would have broken up in s4. Xander would be living with his parents and doing odd jobs. Willow would be at university, meeting new friends and gaining new interests. They would slowly drift apart and probably argue a lot until Willow gets locked in the laundry room together with Tara.

Xander and Willow is a beautiful idea, but I would hate it if they actually did it :p

If Xander and Willow had gotten together shortly after When She Was Bad, they would have broken up in s4. Xander would be living with his parents and doing odd jobs. Willow would be at university, meeting new friends and gaining new interests. They would slowly drift apart and probably argue a lot until Willow gets locked in the laundry room together with Tara.

Xander and Willow is a beautiful idea, but I would hate it if they actually did it :p
Of course it wouldn't last, it's a high school romance after all and would go the same way as Bangel, Woz and Xandelia. But I do think they'd have been a great influence on each other S1-3, especially on Xander. He'd be much nicer if Willow were his girlfriend, they'd give each other confidence and they'd just be happier together than Willow mooning over Xander and Xander mooning over Buffy. What am I saying! That would make the dullest tv ever, ignore everything I've said :)

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Of course it wouldn't last, it's a high school romance after all and would go the same way as Bangel, Woz and Xandelia. But I do think they'd have been a great influence on each other S1-3, especially on Xander. He'd be much nicer if Willow were his girlfriend, they'd give each other confidence and they'd just be happier together than Willow mooning over Xander and Xander mooning over Buffy. What am I saying! That would make the dullest tv ever, ignore everything I've said :)
It could actually be awful. Xander often treated Willow and Cordelia quite poorly.

Top Bottom