• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Dinosaurs and the Old Ones

burrunjor

Scooby
I had a theory that the old ones might be Dinosaurs that were possessed by Demons.

According to the lore, the earth originally belonged to these super Demons, and then the path was cleared for mortal creatures. Mankind. Thing is where do the Dinos fit into all of this? They are natural creatures too? Did they come after the old ones in which case, in the Buffy universe are the creationists right and Dinosaurs and man lived together LOL.

Also why are the Old Ones so massive? People say it's because they are pure blood, but the scourge are pure bloods and they aren't massive or strong. (Several of them got punk'd by one Vampire. Okay it was Angel, but still even then Angel isn't that old by Vampire standards. If he can kill their leader and beat several of them up, I reckon a team of Vamps like the Master and Luke and Russell Winters, hell even Kakistos could eviscerate them no problem.)

I tend to see it as being like this.

The powers that be created the earth and allowed it to take its natural course. Then however the forces of evil entered their world and possessed the Dinosaurs. ( It was probably the First that let them in. In Buffy there was no asteroid. What we think was the asteroid was actually the hellmouth opening up or a hellmouth opening up.)

The Old Ones needing bodies in this plane of existence possessed Dinosaurs and drove the PTB off and made earth their home. Some natural creatures still evolved, including humans who the Demons viewed as being their play things, before the Old Ones were banished back to hell. Perhaps the first betrayed them or something as they wouldn't play by his rules, and he thought it might be more fun to mould humanity into evil creatures?

The old ones as we know however fed on several humans, creating Vamps and other hybrid races.

This would explain the following.

Why Vamps and so many Demons in Buffy have reptillian appearances. (Scaly skin, reptile eyes etc.)

Why the Old Ones are so much more massive and at times have a Dinosaurian appearance.

latest

This guy even makes a Velociraptor from JP scream!

latest

The Turok Han meanwhile I view as being Neanderthal men who were turned into Vampires and can only turn other Neanderthal's hence why there is a limited amount of them.

T
thrasherpix
What I like of this idea is that it's easy to make the age of dinosaurs into one where the "old school Japanese monster movies" seem plausible with Godzilla, Mothra (would we have a fossil?), etc. But to imagine fire when there's more oxygen!

Stake fodder

Soulless
I like this idea! I never really put it together, but I had thought the Age of the Demons predated any of our evolution - well, more than microbes, anyway - in the time when Earth was still a volcanic hellscape. But then "the rise of mankind" only works in a very general sense, as the microbes will eventually evolve to humans, and that doesn't seem very intimidating. Possessing dinosaurs would be another option, though!

I always thought the Turok Han were meant to be Neanderthals, too, and yet they had much more delicate features and slender bodies than our image of Neanderthals.

burrunjor

Scooby
I like this idea! I never really put it together, but I had thought the Age of the Demons predated any of our evolution - well, more than microbes, anyway - in the time when Earth was still a volcanic hellscape. But then "the rise of mankind" only works in a very general sense, as the microbes will eventually evolve to humans, and that doesn't seem very intimidating. Possessing dinosaurs would be another option, though!

I always thought the Turok Han were meant to be Neanderthals, too, and yet they had much more delicate features and slender bodies than our image of Neanderthals.

We know that the Demons must have been banished when humans were around, as it was an old one feeding on a human that created the first Vampire.

When you think about it Demons would possess Dinosaurs if they can possess humans. A Dinosaur body would be better for causing mayhem.

[I][B]thrasherpix[/B][/I] What I like of this idea is that it's easy to make the age of dinosaurs into one where the "old school Japanese monster movies" seem plausible with Godzilla, Mothra (would we have a fossil?), etc. But to imagine fire when there's more oxygen!

True maybe a lot of Demon Dinosaurs bodies would dust like a Vamp. Would be a thought though if someone discovered a Dinosaur bone, and then a sorcerer brought it back using black magic!

T
thrasherpix
Dresden uses forbidden necromancy to animate a dinosaur skeleton from a museum to save the city of Chicago (IIRC) in the book Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. I think that's my favorite Dresden book (though I've given up on the series).

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Strange thoughts there, did we ever see an old one? We saw a human embodiment of an old one but to say they were massive - how big were their coffins? For a massive old one to accept the body of the diminutive Fred seems a bit ludicrous to me. I mean if an old one could take over the body of a dinosaur how could it fit in a body the size of Fred. I know the priest for Illyria was a bit thick but really?

I get that the Turok Hans were of Neanderthal stock that was fairly obvious, Giles said they were the previous form of vampires! The current vampires are from humans so it stands to reason that the previous form of vampires was Neanderthal.
Didn't they get called Neanderthal because of where the skeleton of such was found, in or near Germanic country's.

Stake fodder

Soulless
Strange thoughts there, did we ever see an old one? We saw a human embodiment of an old one but to say they were massive - how big were their coffins? For a massive old one to accept the body of the diminutive Fred seems a bit ludicrous to me. I mean if an old one could take over the body of a dinosaur how could it fit in a body the size of Fred. I know the priest for Illyria was a bit thick but really?
What we saw of Illyria's original body indicated that he(?) was already much bigger than Fred. Some old ones were shown in the comics, and they were massive, bigger than dinosaurs even.

Didn't they get called Neanderthal because of where the skeleton of such was found, in or near Germanic country's.
Yes, the first skeleton was found in the Neander Valley, called "Thal" in German, and actually pronounced "Tall," not "Thal."

thrasherpix

Scooby
If a dinosaur was fully cremated, I expect it could fit inside that coffin. But I see those coffins as more mystical anyway, like it holds their lingering essence rather than their form. (Headcanon.)

Stake fodder
Stake fodder
That seemed true in the comics.
Top Bottom