• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discuss: Chapters 1-8

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
Here is where you can discuss chapters 1-8, pages 1-108, of Slayer!

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
I’m only 30 pages in and I’m screaming inside with disappointment, not because the story is terrible or the writing is bad, I actually think White has a very nice ”Buffy” style, but because I want a ”didn’t realize this would be so tied to and concurrent with the crappy comics” refund.

I thought this would be much more independent of Buffy, but so far her name has been dropped roughly 40 times in 30 pages and I’ve had some of the worst comic plots (s8-9) summarized for me (when I’ve been trying to repress them)

I’m not sure why I thought this would be post-Buffy, but I did, and though I’ll keep reading I’m bitterly disappointed and hope the Buffy talk dies down soon. Gah, the comics ruin everything. Also, doesn’t this tie down this series to the overall events of the rest of the comic seasons?

Now I’m afraid we’ll get Buffy characters popping up eventually :(
This was not what I was hoping for.

Spanky
Spanky
I had that feeling the first few pages and it only got worse. I am not sure I can continue with it. It doesn't feel right to me.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
When I read: "since Buffy—the Slayer who single-handedly destroyed almost our entire organization" I thought I was going to have problems with it. And then when it started going on about the Seed of Wonder... I still don't really know what that was or did or anything. I didn't realize that I should have read the comics to read the book. I could go without being reminded every other page that magic is broken and the consequences for it. And I could have done without a Wyndam-Pryce showing up as well.

At the end of the first chapter I am not sure if I really wish to continue. We'll see.

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
When I read: "since Buffy—the Slayer who single-handedly destroyed almost our entire organization" I thought I was going to have problems with it. And then when it started going on about the Seed of Wonder... I still don't really know what that was or did or anything. I didn't realize that I should have read the comics to read the book. I could go without being reminded every other page that magic is broken and the consequences for it. And I could have done without a Wyndam-Pryce showing up as well.

At the end of the first chapter I am not sure if I really wish to continue. We'll see.
Not to mention Gwendolyn Post apparently had a daughter. Like, we get it, this is part of the Buffyverse, but we don’t need a reference to the show or comics on every single page and half the characters.

I like the new characters, I’m here for them, not repetitive reminders of what Buffy has done and is doing. Even if Nina hates Buffy.

Oh and not sure it is in chapter one but
Nina’s dad is Merrick. So, even more and personal tie ins to Buffy

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
It's ironic because I wasn't going to get this book. But off the strength of the first comic in the comic reboot it swayed me to get it. I think, from what I've read of the new comics, that is going to be a much better story. This, to me, is just pandering to an audience. It's not much more than fan service at this point.

But maybe they feel they have to do that to suck the readers in. But again, I don't think anything catastrophic can/will happen or else you would have heard about it in the comics. Everything is happening concurrent to Season (8? 9?) and I don't like that at all.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Agree that they went a bit overboard with the name dropping in the beginning.
That really wasn't necessary to get us understand the connection to the series.

Didn't mind it being in the middle of the comics though.
If anything I found it interesting to see how those huge, world changing, events in the comics actually affected people other than Buffy herself and her gang.
Think it even have made me appreciate the events in the comics more if anything.

/SK

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
If anything I found it interesting to see how those huge, world changing, events in the comics actually affected people other than Buffy herself and her gang.
Maybe I'll try to look at it in that light going forward. It was just combined with all the name dropping it felt they were trying so hard to be a part of the Buffyverse rather than just telling their own story.

What season is this in? I know some of the event in the comics but the seasons seem to last for years and years so I don't know what seasons everything was. That's hurting my head too trying to think what year it is.

Is this taking place at the end of season 8, so it should be like 2005ish, yes?

sk
sk
Keeping track of when things in the comics happens is way beyond my capabilities...

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Ok, I finished this part.

What I liked:
  • The new characters. Nina is a bit repetitive but I do like her.
  • I liked the explanation of "Nina" really being Athena. I was wondering about their parents naming one child after a goddess but not the other.
  • I really liked Nina and Cillian's friendship, I like Cillian in general. He's pretty cool about all of this demon stuff though (so I'm worried he might be fake?)
  • I like Nina and Artemis' relationship and how it starts to shift because of Nina's slayerhood
  • I like their weird and terrible relationship to their mother. Joss' legacy of terrible parents continues! The Burkles remain an aberration. :p
  • Leo as Nina's Watcher, I like it. I ship it. Yup, I'm a ship slut. It takes very little for me to start shipping, but some of my favorite Watcher/Slayer relationships from non-Buffy stories in e.g. The Tales of the Slayers, have been romantic entanglements between Watcher's and Slayer'sB
Did we know this?
"But Potentials become Slayers when they hit physical maturity and encounter a moment that requires something of them. She tried to make certain I never had that moment."

This feels like a new addition to the lore to me? Or maybe this has been covered in the comics.

What I didn't like:
  • As mentioned above, the fact that it is concurrent with the comics. Don't remind me of that dumpster fire, please and thank you.
  • The Buffy mentions. So. Many. Buffy. References. If not direct references to Buffy then to other characters from the series, other events in the series, connections to characters that have appeared in the series.
  • The throwing a knife at Nina's head and quipping about it. This might've been a cute little homage to the movie, and one of my favorite scenes in it, but in the sea of other Buffy references, at this point, I was starting to get frustrated and feeling like this book wants to be Buffy so badly that you might as well actually just go re-watch or re-read some Buffy stuff that's already out there. If this weird Frankenstein amalgamation of series-comics-movie doesn't find its own legs to stand on soon it's going to be very hard to finish this book with any sense of enjoyment.
  • Buffy in dreams. For the love of God. To paraphrase Xander: Buffy, Buffy, Buffy... does every conversation we have have to come around to that freak!?
I really hope we get less Buffy going forward and more Nina and independent worldbuilding.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Did we know this?
"But Potentials become Slayers when they ... encounter a moment that requires something of them. "
Think back to the endish of Chosen. When the slayers were activated. I can't remember all of the montages but it seems like their slayerness kicked in during a moment that required something of them. I can remember the girl at bat, the woman getting (implied) beaten on. Can't remember the others but, yeah, I could see that being the intended purpose of it. When they needed it, they become the slayer.

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Think back to the endish of Chosen. When the slayers were activated. I can't remember all of the montages but it seems like their slayerness kicked in during a moment that required something of them. I can remember the girl at bat, the woman getting (implied) beaten on. Can't remember the others but, yeah, I could see that being the intended purpose of it. When they needed it, they become the slayer.
I just read that as them getting activated because the spell activated them at that moment, so it would've happened even if they chilling on the couch (but that wouldn't have been as good of a visual).

This just makes me curious what it was that then activated Buffy once upon a time?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I just read that as them getting activated because the spell activated them at that moment, so it would've happened even if they chilling on the couch (but that wouldn't have been as good of a visual).
That's how I read it too, until the excerpt from the book. You can see that maybe that was the attempt in show.
This just makes me curious what it was that then activated Buffy once upon a time?
I assumed that was because of the death of a slayer. Willow's spell changed the manner in which they were activated from being due to a death to being due to situational needs; as now every potential was a slayer when the situation arose.

Taake
Taake
Aahh, ok, I'm with you now.

ItMustBeBunnies

Bugger off, you brolly!
Sineya
I'm in the middle of chapter 4.

I'm really struggling to get into it. I'm a bit bored really.

I would like a little bit of a nod to Buffy here and there, but like you guys, I'm not digging the constant references. I'm hoping that will slow down a bit as the story continues and we get to know the new characters more and concentrate on them and not just their connection to Buffy.

I'm definitely going to press on and hope that it grabs me but at this point, I'm underwhelmed.

Taake
Taake
Completely agree, also love your banner! Dichen <3

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I just finished the first eight chapters and I have some thoughts. I was surprised to find out this was set in S9 of the comics. I don't mind that, because they said it was going to be set after the show ended and the comics are considered canon. I personally like the comics, I know I'm in the minority, so I don't mind the setting. I found it quite refreshing actually.

What I disliked:
  • Artemis. I find her incredibly annoying and I am really glad she is not the protagonist of the books because I would have stopped reading after chapter 2.
  • I don't mind some Buffy references, but at some point, there were six name drops per page. It has gotten a bit less, which is good, and I know Nina sees Buffy of all things evil, which is an interesting perspective, but it will be interesting to see how Nina develops and how she will view Buffy later. But. Please. Stop. The. Name. Drops. I get it okay? You hate Buffy!
  • Nina has been through some traumatic experiences and her relationship with her mother is difficult, which is interesting, but I like the Buffy thing I do not want to be reminded of this every two pages. I really hope this gets less as the story continues.

What I liked:
  • I really like the setting with the characters. I think there are some interesting characters in the mix and hopefully, we get to see more of them.
  • Nina, while being a tad bit dramatic, I do feel for her, especially it was revealed that her mother knew she was a Potential. I like that she is starting to question her beliefs and the systems put in place.
  • I find it refreshing that the characters fundamentally disagree with one another, which was highlighted in the discussion about Nina being a Slayer. It shows that the Watchers' Council is an ancient institution and it is set in its ways, even on the brink of extinction.
  • I love the focus on the friendship between Nina and Cillian (is that how you write his name?). I feel like we don't see this enough in YA. I get that Leo is the romantic interest (I can't help but picture Leo from Charmed), but so far the focus has been on the friendship.
  • I think Nina is a pretty relatable character and I am looking forward to seeing how she develops.

Verdict:
Overall, I am really enjoying the story and it is an easy YA read. There are issues, but in my opinion, the good far outweighs the bad :)

There is one thing I have noticed about my tastes...I usually am in the unpopular opinion zone. This is my life, I think? I have this with TV series, books, characters, etc. I've noticed a trend.

Off to the next few chapters!

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Whew....that was hard to get through. It felt like 90 of those 110 pages were about how everything sucks because of Buffy, Nina's mom hates her and always picks her last, and oh Nina hates Buffy!

I didn't realize it was set in comic times either and was initially disappointed but maybe it'll surprise me.

Question, if is was set in s9 doesn't the whole world already know about vampires? Or did the reality show staring Harmony happen later? It seemed like Cillian wasn't aware of vampires or demons. Did the seed being destroyed make everyone unaware of what goes bump in the night?

So, Artemis and Nina take on a vampire as children, yet by 16 Nina has somehow become delicate flower that needs protecting?

I honestly did love the start, but I do think it has potential. I really hope it gets less repetitive.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I am torn about whether I like this or not.

It’s not a book that excites me, and I find it hard to read this more than in short bursts - I’m not inclined to sit down and read it for hours at a time like I usually would with a book I’m reading.

Having said that, I love the idea of a book about Watchers. Very Anne Rice Talamasca-esque which I love. Sometimes I hate that she used all the Watcher names from the show, and sometimes I think it’s cool. I like that she doesn’t idolize Buffy, and I sort of like that we’re getting another viewpoint of Buffy that isn’t “she’s perfect”. It doesn’t annoy me as much as everyone else that she mentions Buffy.

I like the relationship with Artemis, that they actually share everything, that Artemis isn’t a bitca to Nina which is kind of how you would expect it to be, that she cares about her and includes her in things. I’m intrigued by the mother’s behavior.

The most exciting thing to happen in the first 8 chapters was when Leo is named her Watcher. I audibly said “ugggghhhh”.

I do think this is one of the best written of the Buffy books. But I would rather be reading something else. But that is probably just me.

Top Bottom