Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
4. See 1 through 3.
Come on, register already!
Fear demon and how little they are (yes, this reference was more clever and less on the nose than the rest)
Kittens as demon snacks reference
Wes works for Angel reference
After school special ”Watcher’s council not always perfect. Maybe that’s why Buffy all those years ago ditched us. Though that was wrong”
and of course, vampires can change, ”most who did actually dated Buffy”
Then there is Sean’s operation which is kind of Ats episode ”The Ring” meets The Initiative...
At this point I’m like - why aren’t we just watching Buffy instead? Cut out the references and the sour ”thaaanks, Buffy for ruining (insert:X)” this book would be like 100 pages shorter.
On the actual story:
-Artemis is really starting to bug me, I get that there needs to be a predictable falling apart, but she’s very annoying
Don’t sell the books! me crying over old, fictional books
I like Eve’s interactions with Nina buuut I’m guessing Nina wishing her mom was like Eve means that Eve will actually be the bad guy, not Nina’s mom.
Leo is definitely too perfect, didn’t think about it at first
Nina, stop being so repetitive. You’re a healer, not a breaker, we get it
The prophecy.. do I care? Not sure. I don’t know the characters enough yet to real care about one of the twins going evil. I like the general idea though, especially if Artemis were to become the main villain of this series. That could be cool
Honestly, this hasn’t gotten interesting yet. the original story is predictable mixed with too many Buffy references and I find it hard to care what’s going to happen next or to the characters.
Weakly hoping the last part will be better, but it seems to be working up to a ”Buffy’s not so bad after all”, I appreciate my powers now
Edit: I liked the Eurovision reference! That got a smile outta me
Again, I am much more positive than you @Taake. I mean it is not a great piece of literature, but I'd categorise it as a fun and angsty YA romp.
Okay so a lot happened in this part.
What I liked:
- there seem to be fewer references or I don't notice them anymore lol.
- the writing is less repetitive. I mean the fire hasn't been mentioned for over 3 chapters.
- I love that Artemis is just kind of...bad. I mean she is freaking annoying, but I do get why the character's motivations. I want her to be evil.
- Honora being evil. I mean yes. I like that a lot of the Watchers are corrupt. Go with the moral greyness.
- I am really loving Nina. I think she has grown and is still relatable. She could become such an interesting and complext character. We are so close. Nina pls do something evil and regret it.
What I disliked:
- Leo. I kind of like him even though he is such a mary sue, however, he is much more of a character than Angel was in s1. So there is that. I think he was potential.
- I am okay with the romance, but can Leo and Nina have one scene where they are not being interrupted?
- the prophecy is just...so predictable. I know that Artemis is ths hunter and Nina is the healer. I wish there were a few scenes with Nina going too far. Then it would have been interesting.
Eve is the baddy.
Nina is going to kill Honora
Nina is going to save Artemis last minute and will avert the apocalypse.
the mother is the hero all along.
Leo and Nina are going to get smooches. Loads.
There is one thing that frustrates me. If this book had had a proper editor, cut down 100 pages (or more character stuff) and streamlined the plot a bit more then this could have been an amazing book. There is so much potential in the story and the bits that are good are really good. I really hope that this will improve with the second book.
Honora saying, “What is your damage?” made me want to stop reading lol. And that she was involved was super predictable. I feel like there wasn’t enough time between her return and her betrayal being revealed to Artemis. She is a bitca though.
Nina acting like, poor me, I’m so unlovable and useless, grates on me a bit. Does she really have self esteem that low.
I like Doug. I feel like Eve is the hunter. I keep waiting for her betrayal.
I think it helps that I don't usually read YA fiction, because I am actually enjoying this. It's a buffyverse-adjacent whodunit and it's a lot of fun. I am so glad they finally realised the prophecy in chapter 1 was about them. I also expect their mother to be a hero by the end.
I think Honoria will come good in the end, she's got Cordelia vibes going on. I am bored by the Leo/Nina romance, and a watcher should never date his slayer, that's just yucky imo. I expect him to be a baddie, along with his mother Eve, though I'm sure he feels guilty about it, that's what he and his mother were fighting about. Imogen is a smoker and I read somewhere that you can always tell the baddies nowadays because they smoke.
White enjoys adding 'like' into sentences that don't really need the word, and that's becoming annoying. I'm also over Cillian being the comedy turn, and occasionally the ages of these characters seem indeterminate, are they teens or are they middle-aged, sometimes it's hard to tell.