• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.01 "City Of..." - Aired 10/5/99 (WB-US)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Season 1, Episode 1: "City Of" - Aired: 10/5/1999

Summary said:
Having left Sunnydale and his true love behind, Angel is searching for a place to call his own and a means to redeem himself for his past sins. Doyle, a half human, half demon, is sent to him by "The Powers That Be" to help him on his path. Doyle has a vision of a young girl in trouble, prompting Angel to go on his first mission to help the helpless.

The girl's name is Tina, and Angel learns that she is being stalked by a powerful vampire. As the investigation goes deeper, Angel learns that this creature preys on many aspiring actresses, and his latest target is an old friend from Sunnydale who has just arrived in the City of Angels.
source

Discuss the series premiere of Angel, the Series here :)

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
You know I watched this yesterday and I have to say, even after all of these years, the vamp-make up on Russel never ceases to annoy me. It's so over-the-top and cheesy looking. I really wonder why they went that way? To make him look more scary? Cause frankly I just think it made him look silly...

HisMrs
HisMrs
[No message]

Hale Caesar

Sunnydale Nerd
An amazing episode, and an even better start to a great series. The first scene will always be my favorite, when Angel is pretending to be drunk, and then he turns serious in 2 seconds, fantastic. Cordelia and Doyle both had a strong chemistry with Angel it was fun to see the three of them interact

Taake

Watcher
Black Thorn
An amazing episode, and an even better start to a great series. The first scene will always be my favorite, when Angel is pretending to be drunk,
lol, ditto.
"You remind me of her. You know with the hair..."

"Girls are nice"

It was kind of interesting though cause I watched it with a friend who hasn't seen it and where I thought Cordy was funny, being Cordy y'know, she had a very strong reaction of dislike towards Cordelia that kind of took me back. But who knows, maybe she'll come around towards the end of the season :)

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
I thought this was a great series opener. It was great getting to see more Angel on his own, too. Plus, I heart Doyle!

I agree with Russel's make-up or whatever they did to him. It would have made more sense to keep the vamps looking like they did on BtVS.

My favorite part: "Can you fly?" :) !!!!

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
Love that scene,"can you fly" so great.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I read they were trying a different vamp prosthesis, but decided (like us!) that they didn't like it and went back to the original makeup.

Some people think City Of is kinda slow for a premiere, but I liked it. I loved Cordy & Angel meeting again, and Doyle's introduction.

Taake

Watcher
Black Thorn
I loved Cordy & Angel meeting again.
"Are you still 'grrr'?"
Lol!

I love the fact that things don't go so well for Angel in the pilot, the fact that his first innocent dies, it tells you from the start that this show is likely to take sharp unexpected turns.

Also I love socially awkward Angel. So much. It's like... don't talk baby, seriously... don't talk.

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
Awkward Angel is the best!
VisionGirl
VisionGirl
Awkward Angel karma!!
K
kndizzle
Awkward Angel ftw :)

kndizzle

Fish of the Day
I just re-watched myself yesterday, and I loved it. Doyle is still one of my favorite all-time Angel characters, and I love their interaction in this episode. Even after all these years, DB engages me into his character in about 2 seconds. The voiceover at the beginning was amazing.

"Like most stories, this one starts... with a girl."

For some reason I squealed with happiness when that happened. How pathetic right? :p

VisionGirl
VisionGirl
[No message]
PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]

Anya2012

Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I'm doing an Angel rewatch...

I disliked the makeup they used on these LA vampires. They looked so different to the vamps in Sunnydale.

Loved Angel's " girls are nice," and when he was trying to get Tina's attention: " Sure is a nice...doggy," He is so socially awkward!

But he can't save everyone though. And Doyle wasn't one of my favourites I'm afraid.

Loved Cordy too.

HisMrs

Scooby
Sineya
You know I watched this yesterday and I have to say, even after all of these years, the vamp-make up on Russel never ceases to annoy me. It's so over-the-top and cheesy looking. I really wonder why they went that way? To make him look more scary? Cause frankly I just think it made him look silly...
I know, right?! I watch this and go "WTF is wrong with the makeup team? Why not just stick with what works?" I think maybe they were testing a different look to see if they could kinda differentiate the LA vamps from the Sunnydale ones, but it just didn't work.

An amazing episode, and an even better start to a great series. The first scene will always be my favorite, when Angel is pretending to be drunk, and then he turns serious in 2 seconds, fantastic. Cordelia and Doyle both had a strong chemistry with Angel it was fun to see the three of them interact
I agree; that first scene is badass. I remember watching it going "OMG, how funny! He's drowning his sorrows over Buffy!" and then the moment his face changes when he gets up off that stool you're like "OHHH!!" LOL

I really like Cordelia's reintroduction to the Jossverse... I love that she's still trying to put on a show for everyone around her, even though she's so broken inside. It gives her character so much more depth for us to be able to see that side of her.

Ahhhh, Doyle. He had me from hello, as the saying goes. I loved the Doyle/Angel friendship and dynamic, and Glenn played Doyle so well. Plus, the scene where he's trying to ram the gate is hilarious!

Taake

Watcher
Black Thorn
Ahhhh, Doyle. He had me from hello, as the saying goes. I loved the Doyle/Angel friendship and dynamic, and Glenn played Doyle so well. Plus, the scene where he's trying to ram the gate is hilarious!
Agreed and lol, I love when he rams the gate and fails. Just like I love it when Angel jumps into the wrong car. Both moments that told me this would be a show for me.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I love the flashback scene with Doyle's voiceover, its a good way of introducing those fans that hadnt watched Buffy. I like how Angel functions on his own, the start of the show makes him look like he's drawning in his sorrow over Buffy yet he goes out and kicks those vamp guys butt.

I think that the fact that Angel doesnt save the girl shows that this show isnt like Buffy, its darker and more real.

Cordy brings a good amount of humour to this episode, I love when she asks Angel if hes still a vamp and when she guesses that Russell is a vamp, its so funny. Doyles also hillarious when he rams Angel's car into that gate.

Its such an amazing season opener and I love that Angel phones Buffy, it was the best us bangels could hope for.

I've listened to the commentary by Joss Whedon and David Greenwalt.

They wanted to introduce Angel as a surprise hero like Buffy was, you think Buffy is a dizzy blond so in this they portray Angel as a drunken loser. They also wanted to show the many sides of Angel, how he can fool them, how he saves them but cant relate to them.

They felt awkward writing the alley scene because the last time Joss did that he had the girl turn into the hero of the show, now he's having the girl wait for a guy to save her.

The new vamp make up was meant to make the vamps look older but it didnt work so they stopped using it.

The double stakes was a very Batman thing to do and make it different to Buffy.

They werent going to include the flashback scenes and they wanted to keep the two shows seperate especially for those fans who had never watched Buffy. To do this they try not to say Buffys name and just refer to her as 'that girl'.

Cordy is a contrast on Angel, the show is dark but Cordy is light and bubbly.

When Angel finds Tina's body originally they had Angel taste her blood but they cut that scene.

They didnt want a bad guy like the Master, they wanted an unseen corporation who didnt want to kill the hero every week.

The whole episode is about Angel making connections and the phone call to Buffy shows that he cant connect with her anymore :(

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
I first watched this today and as soon as it started, my first thought was, 'Angel's drunk!! WTH!" lol I'm glad he wasn't and loved his hidden stakes!! :D
I think Doyle seems like a good character, honest and open :)
Cordelia still bugs me!! :rolleyes:
I thought it was weird when he gave that girl a tea towel when she was crying, I mean what if she wanted to blow her nose???? lol :rolleyes:
Also since when did Angel become some kind of secret agent guy, he was acting just like one, it was odd lol
I thought it was pretty good when he kicked that guy out of the window though! Awesome! :D
I thought the ending to this episode was kinda cheesy lol The music kinda reminded me of Superman LOL and Angel stood there all smug looking just seemed funny lol :D

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
I just watched this episode and the commentary with it. Looking at some of the above comments, the reaction seems a bit mixed. I don't get that, to be honest. I loved this episode.

I thought it was an awesome pilot that capture the feel of Angel and the series in general brilliantly. After the epic and hugeness that was "Graduation Day", this really felt like a 'what comes after' version. Watching them back-to-back, they fit well together. They do an excellent job of making you really feel Buffy's presence without her being overbearing at the same time.

They played off some well-worn themes "big city" themes but really made them their own. Angel rocked it as his own leading hero. Doyle, right off the bat is a character I like. And everyone, and this goes along the same lines as the show, has this permeating sense of loneliness that I think suits Angel perfectly. It helps build the city itself as its own character and brings the main characters together. That's probably one of the chief reasons why the Angel cast is my overall favorite of any Joss show.

The makeup on the vampires, and Russel Winters in particular, yeah, it's a little cheesy. Joss Whedon and David Greenwalt talked at length about that in the commentary and said they were trying to go for a much darker, scarier feel than Buffy, but that it didn't click like they hoped it would. This is the only episode that style is in.

Really dug this episode. It's got some great inspirational qualities to it that make it one of my favorites.

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
I loved this ep. Captivating opening,funny bar scene,action close to the teaser,gorgeous opening credits and a fascinating story with a dark twist of not saving the helpless victim. Add to all of this the introduction of Doyle,Cordy and Wolfram & Hart(particularly Lindsey :) ) and you have what i think is the greatest open to a series that I've ever seen. :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
The odd thing is I don't think he was pretending to be drunk? At that point I am not sure if Angel knew that he was in LA to protect people like Buffy did in Sunnydale. It was just an amusing moment to see him drunk, but then vampires can't get drunk right? Just forget I said anything:oops:

This is almost the perfect debut episode. It is good to see a contrasting look to the show, and a different tone from Buffy. Some fun set pieces, and good humor too.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Spike gets drunk in 'Lover's Walk' and is constantly drinking on Buffy.

Charmander

Potential
Haha! I wasn't expecting Cordelia to recognise the vampire signs so quickly.
This episode is a bit awkwardly delivered in places (surprisingly mostly with Cordy), but that tends to happen in most pilots of great shows.
I really like how it has a different and darker style to Buffy, and the fact that Tina dies really sets it apart and gives the impression that people aren't always going to be saved by the heroes.
Those windows are scarily fragile! I kind of wish Russell had stuck around since he seemed like a pretty good villain, but that scene where Angel pushes him out the window and we see him burn on the way down is totally worth it.
The references to Buffy make me miss her even more. Stahp it. :(
See, Buffy? Anya's idea of making money from her services in S6 wasn't all bad. Angel seems to be fine with it!

Vigeous

I've been thinking about the world...
After all these years of having watched Buffy over and over, I never took the time to watch Angel (I have no idea why). Finally I decided to give it a go and watch it in sequence. I've seen a handful of episodes here and there because my sister was a fan of the show, but I never really payed it its dues.
Agreed. It looked pretty weird considering they've had a few years of practice with the makeup on Buffy. Who knows if they had the same people do makeup, or what the case was, but it certainly looked odd.

I thought it was a good pilot. It was entertaining, didn't introduce too many new faces so it was really easy to follow the character backgrounds, and from the few other episodes of the first season I've seen so far it set the tone well for those too. Angel also looked like a bad-a.

Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
Better late than never :)
Top Bottom