• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.01 "Welcome To The Hellmouth" - Aired 3/10/1997 (WB-US)

Seven Of Nine

Jeepers
I am re-watching Buffy from the beginning as part of a yahoo email mailing list and since I'm taking notes, I thought I would post my thoughts here too. Before posting, I will search to see if there is an existing thread before starting a new one.

I thought it was a tad funny that the teacher referenced "the fun part of the Black Plague"

When Buffy holds up the black dress to the mirror, she references it as being a slut-dress, then holds up the modest dress and says something about a copy of Watchtower... I had no idea what that was, other than opposite of slut. I had a friend with me to watch the first 2 episodes with me and luckily she was able to explain it.

When Buffy first meets Angel in the alley, it looks like the jacket he's wearing it satin. Am I hallucinating? Doesn't fit with the personality he shows us later in the show. Then again, the creepy way he acts in the first few episodes doesn't fit either.

After he walks away and she opens the case (holding the cross necklace) she was wearing a really ugly large purple ring. Didn't really seem like her style to me. I thought the white nail polish looked a little stupid too.

---------------------------------------------
Favorite Quotes:

Cordelia: Don't you have an elsewhere to be?

Buffy: Can you vague that up for me? ???

Cordelia: What is your childhood trauma?

white avenger

white avenger
Generally, the first few episodes of any new show devote a certain amount of time to developing the stars' "look." By mid season, it's not uncommon to actually find it changed completely. I remember someone saying once that Whedon wasn't really sure just what he wanted to do with Angel at first, so the velvet coat might've been an idea that just didn't work out. Buffy started off with those mini skirts and boots, great for showing off shapely legs, but a high kick filmed from the wrong angle, and the Moral Majority is calling for the show's cancellation. White nail polish and purple ring, I didn't notice (did I mention those short skirts), but I do seem to recall Angel looking like he was wearing eye shadow, which sort of goes with the aforementioned velvet coat...

S
Summerlilly
Serious short skirts for a 15 year old! Gee whoee!! She was confident!

Harley

Imported from Detroit
Sineya
I have the watcher's guide and it has a picture of him in a red velvet shirt; along the same lines as satin...not a good look for him. i def prefer the later angel, especially after he leaves for his own show.

GATEGOD

Anyanka
This episode was cute. I watched it yesterday, Buffy was all omg I don't want to be the slayer, and yet kicked some ass ^.^ She was great, the to be continued, is always arg grrr!! Cause you want to see what happens next, it even gave you the feeling Buffy could die. Definitely not one of my favorite eps, but it began to develop and tell us more about each character which most shows do. So it was pretty good ^_^ I loved how Xander found out about Buffy. "What?!?" he comes out from behind the book shelf after they leave, classic!!! :lmao:

Cordelia Chase*

Spiley anyone?!
Of course!! I love this episode! The High School years of Buffy were amazing to me. I dont know why, but I never pass up a chance to watch seasons 1-3.

I always thought BUffy dreesed that way because of how she was/used to be. Up-to-date. Like in the movie all the girls that hung around her dressed kinda rich/skanky. ((LOL)) BUt i liked the min skirts and the boots!!! ANd Buffy against that vamp at the end! The show had me there!!! lol

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
She needed to put those boots to sleep. She had no business wearing them in every episode. :no:
LOL...you just wanted to use this smiley:no: didin't you?

I wasn't crazy about her Season ! wardrobe, well apart from the dress but I think she looked her best in season 2 and 7

VisionGuy
VisionGuy
I think she looked beautiful in seasons 2 and 7.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
more so in season 1...still think she looked great

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
Smiley overuse!

I think I remember hearing (probably in commentary or interviews on the DVDs) that they tried to make Buffy very young and fresh looking in the first part of the season, then realized they needed to go darker by the second season.

Lillie

Joss Whedon nerd
Through season 1 you often wonder if they ever had a clue of what they were putting her on. But it was the 90s, a lot of weird things were going on then. lol!
I think it's actually really cute in the beginning, they open up real good. You get to see a bit of Willow/Xander, and then how Xander's in to Buffy immediately. I think it's a good pilot, they show a bit of every character for the audience to fall for it. At least I did, and I stayed down xD

crazysoulless
crazysoulless
I love that Bangel banner!

willow23

Fool for Love
Hi, i was wondering about a quote of Cordy's that I can't place. It is when she references Full Metal Jacket:

"What is your major malfunction?"

I'm pretty sure it is Season 1, or maybe 2.

Does anyone know?

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
While we are on the topic of fashion, what was the deal with Buffy's push up bras??

Hi, i was wondering about a quote of Cordy's that I can't place. It is when she references Full Metal Jacket:

"What is your major malfunction?"

I'm pretty sure it is Season 1, or maybe 2.

Does anyone know?
I really don't remember that quote. Does that make me less of a fan? :(

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
While we are on the topic of fashion, what was the deal with Buffy's push up bras??

I really don't remember that quote. Does that make me less of a fan? :(
Yes...shame on you!....really though I looked for the ep but I can't seem to find it...it sounds like season 1 quote for some reason.

and the bra's...what to you mean?

Rowan Hawthorn

Potential
It's from the scene where Buffy is trying to follow Willow from the Bronze, Cordelia steps out of a doorway, and Buffy almost stakes her (good thing it was Buffy and not Faith...)

Edit:

Wait, scratch that - that's not right: that scene, Cordelia's line is "What's your childhood trauma," or something like that.

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
I don't remember ever hearing Cordy say "What is your major malfunction" (a quote to which I always have the urge to append: "Private Pile?!"), but she did say, as Rowan pointed out, "What is your childhood trauma" in "Welcome to the Hellmouth."

Top Bottom