• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.01 "Welcome To The Hellmouth" - Aired 3/10/1997 (WB-US)

Antho

Scooby
Let's go for my rewatch. I prefer to make a shorter comment rather than an analysis as I usually do.

The + : Things I like :

- The acting of the actors. Well I feel oblige to say it because they really delivers a good performance.
- "Buffy ? What kind of name is that" "Hey Aphrodisia" :D
- Angel ! I don't have problem with the introduction of the character. I read the previous review and I know some have problem with David Boreanaz's acting or they reproach to Angel being a stalker, but I just really don't buy it. I think David Boreanaz is not great but good and I like all the mystery, all the charm the character release. Don't forget we are not suppose to know Angel is a vampire so it's just logical for me that Angel looks like a strange guy and isn't really helpful with his informations. Plus, I love the cross he gives to Buffy.
- Willow :)Oh sweet and Lovely Alyson Hannigan. I forgot Willow was so shy at the beginning of the show, like Tara in fact. She gives me envy to protect her. I'm glad Buffy past the physical appearance and see her inner beauty ;).
- The horror ambiance, the humor of the series.. Time has no effect on it.
- SMG is so young and actually a bit fat than the later seasons. That's not critical, just a constatation.

The +/- : Things I don't know what to think :

- I was perturbed by Giles's personality. He is too authoritarian, too much on his role as a watcher, that's make him less human on my eyes, though I still believe he cares about Buffy.
- Jesse : I actually don't know if I like him or not.. I guess I'm not impressed by the actors's performance either.
- Cordelia : You know what I used to like the bitchy Cordelia, and in fact I actually like her but she is really mean to Willow, so I put her here so Willow has her revenge :). Just kidding. I'm still impressed that Charisma is 28 years old :eek:. She clearly doesn't make her age.

The - : Things I don't like :

- Darla : Not the character, not the actress, just the writing of the character. I mean, really she doesn't recognize the slayer, really ? She looks a bit stupid but the opening scene is actually a good point for her.
- The scene where the Masters rise up.. Not convincing, bad special effects, don't produce the fear it should produce.

Rating : I go with B+ !

Last edited:

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I loved this episode.
Easily one of the best from Season 1. I loved the characters being introduced.
I loved the charming mystery of Angel! Hot!
Buffy ready to save Willow & Xander ! Yay! I loved Buffy this episode. Funny, witty and iconic :D

Mr Trick

Scooby
A pretty smooth first episode. I mean it has quite a lot of setting up to do and does a solid job. What I like is how they put the idea of Vampires and demons out there early and start describing the Universe. If they talked around it too long I think the pacing would have dragged. Giles speech to Buffy in the library is about the Hellmouth always stands out to me.

Cordelia gets some great lines too. "Excuse me I just have to call everybody I've met ever right now":p
"God what is your Childhood trauma"?:D

It sets Buffy out as normal but different too. The Bronze scene with her and Willow is nicely played. Hannigan just disappears into that part.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
'Welcome to the Hellmouth' is a great example of an episode that I actually find gets better when you go back and watch it. Maybe I have a lot of nostalgia for the high school seasons, but the first episode does a stellar job of setting up the basic mythology and characters without it getting bogged down with exposition. Oddities like Angel being really snarky and wearing his weird jacket, along with Xander and his skateboard are honestly more funny to me than anything else. I still love the whole thing; it's well paced and introduces everything really nicely.

Mr Trick

Scooby
'Welcome to the Hellmouth' is a great example of an episode that I actually find gets better when you go back and watch it. Maybe I have a lot of nostalgia for the high school seasons, but the first episode does a stellar job of setting up the basic mythology and characters without it getting bogged down with exposition. Oddities like Angel being really snarky and wearing his weird jacket, along with Xander and his skateboard are honestly more funny to me than anything else. I still love the whole thing; it's well paced and introduces everything really nicely.[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with that. I think the Angel thing stands out more because DB wasn't the best actor at the time plus unlike Xander he started on the fringes of the story. The great thing about the skateboard scene is it doesn't date. Wallys like Xander are probably still crashing into people today:D

Mr Trick

Scooby
Another thing I picked up from this episode is Willow's cross on Giles like how she gets excited when talking about him and how cool his library is:D

Top Bottom