• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.02 "Lonely Hearts" - Aired 10/12/99 (WB-US)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Season 1, Episode 2: "Lonely Hearts" - Aired: 10/12/1999

Summary said:
Doyle receives a new vision that sends the group to the club scene. They soon learn they are looking for a serial killer who has been seeking his prey in D'Oblique, a local singles bar. While searching the crowd, Angel meets a woman named Kate who seems to be the type that the killer has been targeting. Distracted because he is making a real, human connection with Kate, Angel does not notice another young woman being lured out of the bar. The next night Angel manages to find a clue to the killer's location, and he races against time to prevent another innocent death. However, someone else is heading to the same place perhaps to help Angel, perhaps to stop him.
source

Discuss the second episode of Angel, the Series here :)

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I like that there keeping the Batman referances, in episode 1 Angel's place is refered to as the Batcave and in this episode Doyle refers to Angel not having a signal in the sky.

I also love how Cordy's trying to advertise and give out Angel's cards instead of looking for the people whose in trouble especially since she actually points at the couple as they leave. I enjoy watching Angel being socially awkward, although I didnt enjoy his comment to Kate about how he would go out with her but he couldnt because of work. I hope he was just being polite!

Poor Doyle, I felt sorry for him when Cordy's saying how much she doesnt like demons.

There were good twists the first being the demon and the second being that Kate was a cop.

The bangel in me enjoys this episode, even the Kate parts, it shows how lonely Angel is without Buffy.

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
Love the Bangely stuff. And DOYLE! Awww...

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
Just a few thoughts on this episode:
The guy at the bar - Creeepy!!! :S
Cordelia is just soooooo annoying!!! Urgh! :rolleyes:
Is it weird that I actually found the bar fight kinda funny! lol
The demon is just ewwwwwwwww :eek:
I feel sorry for Angel having crappy little business cards that noone can make out what's on them! :( lol
The flashes on the episodes are quite annoying, they make my eyes go all weird :S

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
This episode had a lot of suspense and drama, particularly when we the audience hadn't learned yet what the nature of the villain was, or who it was. And as usual, the episode came with a twist. The villain was the suspicious, good looking and all-too-friendly bar flirter...but only briefly! Classic Whedon-show twist. And I fell for it. Again.

Mr Trick

Scooby
This episode had a lot of suspense and drama, particularly when we the audience hadn't learned yet what the nature of the villain was, or who it was. And as usual, the episode came with a twist. The villain was the suspicious, good looking and all-too-friendly bar flirter...but only briefly! Classic Whedon-show twist. And I fell for it. Again.
I think there is a good basis for a centre plot, some nice twists, but unlike City of... Lonely Heart just lacks the character interaction or exciting moments. Kate is set up as an interesting character, but her scene with Angel seem a bit forced. Doyle/Cordy doesn't as well as Angel/Doyle or Angel/Cordy.

Charmander

Potential
This was a very enjoyable episode, and the concept of the shapeshifting monster was great. The second victim in the episode (the second guy) seemed to play it the best. I presume the original guy was a victim too though.
I like the contrast to Buffy when Angel was investigating; even from the get-go she never really had any issues with talking to people.
I like Kate so far!

white avenger

white avenger
Does anyone know whether or not Kate was originally supposed to have a bigger role in the show, but just never caught on with the fans? She could have served to fill one or both of the staple support character roles for every P I series from Phillip Marlowe to Mike Hammer and beyond, the blond girlfriend, not quite love interest, or the Police Dept inside source, and, with the obvious twist, Angel was set up as a Private Investigator, specializing in cases with a supernatural element.

I think that Elisabeth Rohm actually left the show because she got a better part on a different show, but I'm talking about the character within the story line.

janas

Bangel in the soul
I know she had to be a sort of former policewoman-prostitute-drug addict or something like that, and in this episode we see some traces about what was to be originally.

Cordy_Chase

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Sineya
I've begun a rewatch of the series and it's been so long that the information is new to me again. Until "Screech" (the reference the bartender made to him which was a reference from the 80's series 'Saved by the Bell' by the way) came into play, I wasn't able to follow the pattern of this demon. The mystery of it's MO, victimology and motive were done really well except that the statement it made to Angel about needing to find the body it could make a permanent vessel of was left unresolved. That seemed like important information, but it never explained what that meant, what body it was seeking nor did it do a whole lot of follow up on the concept.

When considering the original, much darker intention for Kate Lockley's character microscopic remnants can be found in her introduction, the way it's vaguely evident that she's gone through multiple drinks by the time Angel showed up and the touch of emotional wreckage in her behavior. For me, the coke addict angle would have made her a lot more interesting...maybe even a bit more tolerable, I didn't care for her attitude at some points in the series. I'm not seeing how it was considered too heavy of subject matter, AtS was meant to be more adult aimed than BTVS and they later get away with hooking Connor up with a heroin user. Having Angel try to help Lockley through that issue, something that he can on some level relate to would have been gripping.

There were other elements which were darker in the original script, the murders were supposed to be more violent and there was a scene in which Angel licked a victim's blood off his hand, something more Angelus appropriate. Associate it with Angel and it sends the wrong message.

Seeing Cordy back at her roots was strange for me because I'd grown so used to her stronger and more mature character as well as her close bond with Angel but that is one of the main reasons I'm rewatching the series, to watch her evolve all over again because it's just astounding. It's also nice seeing Doyle again, I forgot how funny he is sometimes.

Tidbit: I don't know if AtS got the Fox makeover and/or if Netflix uses it but during the fight scene between Angel and the demon right after it inhabits 'Screech' I caught a glimpse of a camera with the operator's arm. XP

Mr Trick

Scooby
I've begun a rewatch of the series and it's been so long that the information is new to me again. Until "Screech" (the reference the bartender made to him which was a reference from the 80's series 'Saved by the Bell' by the way) came into play, I wasn't able to follow the pattern of this demon. The mystery of it's MO, victimology and motive were done really well except that the statement it made to Angel about needing to find the body it could make a permanent vessel of was left unresolved. That seemed like important information, but it never explained what that meant, what body it was seeking nor did it do a whole lot of follow up on the concept.

When considering the original, much darker intention for Kate Lockley's character microscopic remnants can be found in her introduction, the way it's vaguely evident that she's gone through multiple drinks by the time Angel showed up and the touch of emotional wreckage in her behavior. For me, the coke addict angle would have made her a lot more interesting...maybe even a bit more tolerable, I didn't care for her attitude at some points in the series. I'm not seeing how it was considered too heavy of subject matter, AtS was meant to be more adult aimed than BTVS and they later get away with hooking Connor up with a heroin user. Having Angel try to help Lockley through that issue, something that he can on some level relate to would have been gripping.

There were other elements which were darker in the original script, the murders were supposed to be more violent and there was a scene in which Angel licked a victim's blood off his hand, something more Angelus appropriate. Associate it with Angel and it sends the wrong message.

Seeing Cordy back at her roots was strange for me because I'd grown so used to her stronger and more mature character as well as her close bond with Angel but that is one of the main reasons I'm rewatching the series, to watch her evolve all over again because it's just astounding. It's also nice seeing Doyle again, I forgot how funny he is sometimes.

Tidbit: I don't know if AtS got the Fox makeover and/or if Netflix uses it but during the fight scene between Angel and the demon right after it inhabits 'Screech' I caught a glimpse of a camera with the operator's arm. XP
That's a good point about Kate. You just felt like the character was lacking something to make you really engage with her. She was quite a dark character but I think you are right something like that could have given her the needed depth. She was just too middle of the road for me, its like she was strong and independent, but they never quite pushed that further enough, and she was never convincing enough as a romantic lead, just a bit of nothing character in the end.

Cordy_Chase

Sineya
That's a good point about Kate. You just felt like the character was lacking something to make you really engage with her. She was quite a dark character but I think you are right something like that could have given her the needed depth. She was just too middle of the road for me, its like she was strong and independent, but they never quite pushed that further enough, and she was never convincing enough as a romantic lead, just a bit of nothing character in the end.
That actually hadn't come to mind initially, but you are right, the Kate Lockley character really wasn't engaging and there was no purpose to her role, no substance. She certainly didn't come across to me as a love interest type of character even when she and Angel were getting along. I wouldn't be surprised if she were asexual or possibly lesbian, but I lean more towards asexual.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think that there is a lack of chemistry between her and Angel (or rather the actors playing them) too which doesn't help. Personally I like that they didn't go down the love route as thatwould have been predictable and Kate would have just come off as a Buffy stand-in. But that doesn't change that there was still something sadly lacking in her character.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think that there is a lack of chemistry between her and Angel (or rather the actors playing them) too which doesn't help. Personally I like that they didn't go down the love route as thatwould have been predictable and Kate would have just come off as a Buffy stand-in. But that doesn't change that there was still something sadly lacking in her character.
Both Kate and Nina are blonde. The "rebound gal of Buffy" vibe is very apparent.

Kate, Faith, Cordy, Darla, Eve, Nina... None of the relationships between them and Angel is explicitly romantic. I suspect that the main reason is the pressure from Bangel fans.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Both Kate and Nina are blonde. The "rebound gal of Buffy" vibe is very apparent.

Kate, Faith, Cordy, Darla, Eve, Nina... None of the relationships between them and Angel is explicitly romantic. I suspect that the main reason is the pressure from Bangel fans.
I suspect the main reason is because Angel can't have sex without turning to the darkside;)

Cordy_Chase

Sineya
Actually @Mr Trick, @vellavu might me right. I've read that supposedly on the season 3 DVD commentary it's revealed that Cordy and Angel were meant to end up an official couple but it was scrapped because it received a bad fan response Which royally pisses me off if that's true, if Buffy can move on why can't Angel!? (and of course, I'm a Cangel fan).
NOTE: I used the words/phrases "supposedly" and "If that's True" because I don't own the DVDs so I'm not able to verify this.

It's also untrue that Angel can't have sex without "turning to the dark side". He actually DID have sex with Darla, Nina and Eve without breaking the curse. Sex doesn't equal true happiness, the person he is with does.

Last edited:

Mr Trick

Scooby
Actually @Mr Trick, @vellavu might me right. I've read that supposedly on the season 3 DVD commentary it's revealed that Cordy and Angel were meant to end up an official couple but it was scrapped because it received a bad fan response (I used the word "supposedly" because I don't own the DVDs so I can't verify this). Which royally pisses me off if that's true, if Buffy can move on why can't Angel!? (and of course, I'm a Cangel fan).

It's also untrue that Angel can't have sex without "turning to the dark side". He actually DID have sex with Darla, Nina and Eve without breaking the curse. Sex doesn't equal true happiness, the person he is with does.
Very true, but then I don't think Angel would want to take the chance, also as a rule he isn't the type to enter into superfincial sexual relationships right? Great post though:)

Cordy_Chase

Sineya
Very true, but then I don't think Angel would want to take the chance, also as a rule he isn't the type to enter into superfincial sexual relationships right? Great post though:)
You mean superficial? One could argue that Nina was superficial because Wes kinda pressured it which I found disrespectful...but we're getting off topic now. Normally no, you are correct Angel is quite the romantic and prefers pure intimacy. He even tried to tell this to Cordy a couple of times in Waiting in the Wings but he was extremely nervous so was never able to quite get it out.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I liked that we got to see what a vision was like for Doyle and Cordelia and Angel got to see how it affects him too. Loved the guys reaction to Cordelia's place, poor Cordy, she wasn't expecting visitors.

Do many clubs over there let under 21s in? I know she wasn't drinking but Cordelia is only 18 afterall, I did enjoy the barfight, was kinda hoping that it would be Cordelia the one to hit him and start it though!

I think in a way all 3 of them are lonely, none of them at this point really know each other that well or have anyone else.

Top Bottom