• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.03 "In The Dark" - Aired 10/19/99 (WB-US)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Season 1, Episode 3: "In The Dark" - Aired: 10/19/1999

Summary said:
Oz visits L.A. with a present for Angel from Buffy. It's the Gem of Amarra, a ring which has been a vampire myth for millennia. While wearing it, a vampire is immune to crosses, stakes, and can even walk in daylight. It isn't long before Spike arrives in town, searching for the ring. And he has no plans of leaving until he gets it.
source

Discuss the third episode of Angel, the Series featuring two BtVS Guest-Stars, here :)

wickedtiger86

Scooby
Sineya
Haha! Yeah I just rewatched this a couple days ago! That speech had me cracking up.

"I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair gel I like SO much"

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
Spike's voice over is hillarious, I love him in this episode. It highlights a very serious problem about violence in relationships, yet Spikes scene after it keeps the episode light. I adore Oz in this episode too, his conversation with Angel is classic. Poor Angel, I felt so sorry for him when Oz gave him that ring and then when he found out about Buffy and Parker! He'd been tortured for hours and all it took was for Spike to mention Buffy and he got all heartbroken - the bangel in me loved it :) I also enjoyed the referances to Buffy throughout.

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
Ok, so what is it with all the psycho boyfriends in LA, it's like that's all Angel helps with, is girls who are stalked!! There are other people in need you know!!! :rolleyes:
Spike makes me LOL :D
OZ!! Awwww little Oz, it was so good to see him :D
Even though this is just the 3rd episode, I kinda hope Cordy and Doyle get together at some point :)
Creepy creepy bad torture guy!! Urghgeh :eek:

EvilWillow

Scooby
"And working up a load of sexual tension, and prancing away like a magnificent poof, is truly thanks enough."
"I understand, I have a nephew who's gay"

^ Comedic GOLD xD

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
I love that angel admits what he really wants in this episode.... Forgiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mudslides

All 3 episodes so far feature a blonde woman and someone telling potential victims to "run". blah.

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
Fantastic ep,Spike is so hilarious :D. Oz and Angel were great. Got an Angel and Spike fight and the torture vampire was truly creepy and sinister. Love it :)

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

Mr Trick

Scooby
Spike's voice over is hillarious, I love him in this episode. It highlights a very serious problem about violence in relationships, yet Spikes scene after it keeps the episode light. I adore Oz in this episode too, his conversation with Angel is classic. Poor Angel, I felt so sorry for him when Oz gave him that ring and then when he found out about Buffy and Parker! He'd been tortured for hours and all it took was for Spike to mention Buffy and he got all heartbroken - the bangel in me loved it :) I also enjoyed the referances to Buffy throughout.
Okay got this wrong as I assumed that Spike was talking about Riley, but I guess it was too early for Buffy to have been seeing him. My bad.

I love this episode.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'd forgotten how much I loved Oz in this ep, I think he would have fitted in so well with the team. This is one of my favourite Spike eps, you see him being comical, and then serious, plus the fight scenes are great. Marcus is so creepy though and I got to agree with Spike about the music!

I don't think it was an easy decision for Angel to destroy the ring, but by admitting that he does want forgiveness I think he realised that the ring wasn't the way to do it.

The scene right at the end shows that Angel and Doyle are getting closer, if they've spoken about Doyle's mother in a way that was more than the passing reference we had in the first ep.

Mr Trick

Scooby
[QUOTE="nightshade, post: 1190056, member: 8885"]I'd forgotten how much I loved Oz in this ep, I think he would have fitted in so well with the team. This is one of my favourite Spike eps, you see him being comical, and then serious, plus the fight scenes are great. Marcus is so creepy though and I got to agree with Spike about the music!

I don't think it was an easy decision for Angel to destroy the ring, but by admitting that he does want forgiveness I think he realised that the ring wasn't the way to do it.

The scene right at the end shows that Angel and Doyle are getting closer, if they've spoken about Doyle's mother in a way that was more than the passing reference we had in the first ep.[/QUOTE]

Good call. Since I never really got into Doyle then maybe Oz would have been a good alternative, then again maybe there were already enough ex-Buffy cast members. I enjoyed Marcus myself, and those scenes with him torturing Angel and Spike's witty, but sinister dialouge were the highlights of a what was a strong episode anyway.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I liked this episode, Spike was definitely a highlight, even though he sometimes sounded more cockney than he does on Buffy. His voiceover at the beginning was hilarious.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
A blonde girl is hiding, why is the girl needing to be saved always a blonde ? o_O

Spike's voiceover :D

Oz is here :)

Cordy, stop turning Doyle down :(

Oz meets Cordy and Doyle, you can see how much Cordy has changed :)

Doyle knows about the gem ???

Angel, put the gem on.

At least he's putting it in a safe place :)

Doyle has a hangover, he needs some rest...

Angel and Spike, fighting as usual :p

Doyle's making phone calls, in order to find Spike, good luck with that ;)

Doyle's apartment looks better than Cordy's :)

Love should not involve 911 calls :(

Spike, don't do that :mad:

Angel has been captured, and he's being tortured :(

Is Spike implying that politicians aren't human ? He has a point there...

I think the torture man is a closeted vamp...

Spike's looking for the ring in the wrong place...

Spike casually tells Cordy and Doyle that Angel's being tortured, something's terribly wrong here o_O

Doyle's demon face has lots of black Spikes on it, what's their purpose ?

Oz comes in with weapons just in time :D

Spike seems to feel betrayed...:(

That torture vamp is going to torture the kids :(

at least AI stopped him :D

Angel is enjoying sunlight and sunset for the first time in centuries, nice to see :)

I can understand his reasons for not wanting to wear the ring.

Next time:Creepy doctors...

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
I don't buy the whole Cordy has changed anymore.

Antho

Scooby
If we exclude the phone call from Angel to Buffy in the pilot, here we have the first real crossover between the two series. The plot about the jewel of Amarra began on Buffy and the conclusion is given in the spin-off. The arrival of Oz and Spike in Los Angeles, two well-known characters of the Buffyverse, pulls the show even more upwards. Honestly, the whole fits so well that when you are fan of both series, you can only appreciate, and if you are only an Angel's fan the scenario is understandable.

The couple Rachel / Lenny allows to expose a diagram of love relationship quite interesting. The story of a guy and a girl who know a wonderful beginning together and then he takes drugs, starts to become violent, he brutalizes her but she forgives him because she's in love, she needs him as he needs drugs. It is a destructive relationship where the woman is a victim but the question of the assent could arise because after all she is the one who constantly returns to him in memory and lack of wellbeing of the beginning of the relationship. In fact, he is her drug ! She must feel love and fear at the same time and that's why she can't put an end to this relationship. Difficult to judge which of the two is the most unconscious. There is a line i like about this : "I'm more scared of me than i am for him right now" ! Angel can help Rachel but he can't decide for her.

I see similarities between this couple and Bangel/Spuffy (or the way i see them). In season 6 Buffy yields, although conscious of the unhealthy side of her relationship with Spike, perpetually to her desires. She knows that the relief she feels only lasts in the present moment and after that suffering and ill-being invade her again. It is the abusive side of the two relationships that I compare because like Rachel with Lenny, Buffy returns every time to Spike. There is a form of assent !
"In yourself, that kind of faith ! If you leave Lenny for good, it will hurt. But, eventually you will be stronger for it. And maybe you will find your way to the kind of love you deserve" ! That's why I think of Bangel. Angel gives good advice, he applied it by leaving Buffy. Separation makes him suffer but in the end he will emerge more stronger and one day he will feel ready to a new love.

The duo Cordelia / Doyle is always very pleasant to follow. They spend their time insulting each other but beyond that they also love each other and I feel it. Cordelia discovers Doyle's apartment and apparently they both love the mess. Cordy has a hard time finding a place to sit lol. I can't wait to see how the relationship will evolve. Meanwhile, Doyle seems to have money problem. It's interesting because he is a demon and he is concerned by a human problem. It brings more reality to the character and it allows us to identify a little to him.

Oz is simple, cool, he brings trouble with him, but he is without pressure our werewolf, as usual. Reunion is warm but not overflowing with discussions. I like Cordelia :"Oz, Oh My god, this is Oz, Oz" and Doyle "Let me just take a stab at this, you'd be Oz". The conversation is hard to throw when you are in front of a guy who does answer by yes/no or short responses, but that's Oz's charm ! With Angel the conversation is completely funny because it's formal and quick.

Spike is in L.A ! His presence makes sense, he is here because he wants the jewel of Amarra that Oz gave to Angel. A good excuse to put forward the rivalry between Spike and Angel.
If for Spike the ring is a way to do more harm, in the day this time, for Angel it's different. The possibilities that the ring offers (becoming invincible, walking in the sun, living among humans) have a direct link with the redemption, reason why he fights. The situation pushes him to think about his life, what he wants to do with it, how he wants to live it. A thought illustrated by the "What do you want?" !

Cordy's observation to Doyle concerning Spike she finds terrifying surprises me a little. I do not know, but I do not remember that they really both met and in Buffy's season 2 Spike wasn't really threatening, i'm more impressed by Drusilla and Angelus. This episode itselfs proves that Spike isn't an excellent bad guy, he is more funny, he is a comic element for me. Honestly, teaming up with a vampire to find the jewel of Amarra which all vampires want is not the idea of the century. I was sure he would be betrayed. Really, Spike inspires more humor than fear. There are plenty of funny moments, especially when his hair catches fire while ha was doing his monologue : "I really hope they kill each other" or when he is at Angel's appartment, he is looking the ring and he has enough after five seconds. Patience is not one of his qualities but he clearly knows how to speak to a girl : "Cordelia, you lose weight" and she answers him "Yes, there is great club gym on". The most funny moment is when he is on the roof, watching Angel and Rachel.. That speech, oh my god !
"Spike in high voice: “How can I thank you, you mysterious, black-clad hunk of a night thing? (low voice) No need, little lady, your tears of gratitude are enough for me. You see, I was once a badass vampire, but love and a pesky curse defanged me. Now I’m just a big, fluffy puppy with bad teeth. (Rachel steps closer to Angel, and Angel steps back warding her off with his hands) No, not the hair! Never the hair! (high voice) But there must be someway I can show my appreciation. (low voice) No, helping those in need’s my job, - and working up a load of sexual tension, and prancing away like a magnificent poof is truly thanks enough! (high voice) I understand. I have a nephew who is gay, so… (low voice) Say no more. Evil’s still afoot! And I’m almost out of that Nancy-boy hair-gel that I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away!” That's very very so hilarious ! I take me time to stop laughing !
The worst is that his imitation is really well done because the writers do a lot with Angel in superhero mode (with the Batman's style) who comes to save the damsel in distress with the music that goes with and there they use Spike to parody the situation and it works wonderfully. As a bonus, another joke about Angel's sexuality is slipped.

Poor Angel who is tortured, he has a good will on the other hand. Some of Spike's lines make me smile : "And with a slayer no less." "A vampire with a soul cursed to talk the earth, trying to do good" in a teasing tone. It is good to hear him say that when we know what will happen. Poor Spike, you will not escape either. The best is when he is talking about Buffy : "She has been awful busy jumping the bones on the first lunkhead who came along", he takes pleasure to say to Angel that Buffy moved on to someone else. Angel's answer is not bad either :

Immediate violent response. Spike must know that talking about Bangel gives strenght to Angel, not the reverse.

Marcus, he is really a psychopath. The fact that he loves children, it makes him even more terrifying and I think the actor's face corresponds to the role. He is reserved, sadistic, expert in torture, but also extremely calm and that is due to Mozart who must have a relaxing effect on him. Unhealthy atmosphere when he is around.

I love when the team and Oz save Angel. Oz arrives by smashing everything with his truck. Seriously, he has a class. But honestly, it's stupid to throw the real ring, a fake ring could have worked !

The fight against Marcus was awesome. I already love Doyle who is courageous but unfortunately he takes a hit, poor Doyle. When Angel goes out in full day, rushing on Marcus, I find him really heroic ! But I also think that Angel takes a while to catch fire. We saw vampires catching fire for less than that, so I find the scene a bit surreal. The fight in the water was also great, I'm glad that Angel kills Marcus, one less pervert in the world. Marcus is a torturer but he has never submitted Angel, his will has not been broken.

Angel wearing the ring, walking in the middle of the day under the sun, when i look him, he gives me impression that he discovers the world in a new day, under the light in fact. I tell myself that he finally breathes happiness and that he has never been so close to humans, those he protects. David is very expressive, I can read his face. I'm not a huge fan of him but until then i think he does a correct job. Oz's observation made me laugh :"He is very paler than most people".

I love Sunset and I realise I never take time to watch it. Angel and Doyle have a beautiful fraternal complicity. Angel seems more open to Doyle, I'm not used to seeing him confide like this. He even do jokes : "One more hot poker and i was giving him the ring, your mom everything. How is your mom" . I very like this Angel who he is when he is with Doyle. Great relation between them.

Angel's decision to destroy the ring is quite logical. I mean, there are reasons for and against. From a scenario point of view, for the serie, a human Angel would have been less interesting to watch. And with an object like this in his possession, he would be the target of many people and he has already enough problems. Plus, he is himself a potential threat because of his devil side Angelus. Without a soul, he is a normal vampire and Angelus is one the worst, he can't have the ring, too dangerous to let him walk in the day. Angelus invincible ? No thanks ! And according to the idea of redemption, he did not fight enough to get the reward and I'm sure he knows it. The jewel of Amarra is not the light at the end of the tunnel, it just a train lol...

Bonus : I like seeing Angel doing Tai-Chi :rolleyes:

Priceless

Scooby
Really enjoyed this episode. Spike's voice-over and rantings are hilarious, and Angel and Spike together is a great fun watch (Can't wait to get to S5 :), hope it's this fun) Really enjoyed the story, Oz and his van gave it a bit of a Scooby-Doo feel. Liked that Angel was on the beach, it tied in with all those beach dreams Buffy had for them.

I also like that Angel sees the ring as 'false redemption', but I don't really buy it. Wearing the ring doesn't stop him going out at night, and it doesn't mean he has to leave LA or go back to Buffy or really change anything if he doesn't want to. Plus smashing it was a bit excessive, couldn't he have just locked it away until he might need it?

Top Bottom