• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.03 "In The Dark" - Aired 10/19/99 (WB-US)

Bite-me

Scooby
The first time I watched this episode the finale line was the weirdest thing, now I like it a lot makes me smile. I hated Spike in this episode, I almost stood up and cheered at "She looks better kicking your ass" so, mission accomplished? good acting JM.

Mylie

Scooby
Just rewatched this episode!

Solid episode for s1 but I remember liking a lot more than I did on this rewatch so I'm a bit disappointed.

Couple of thoughts :
  • Angel doing Tai Chi again! It's like Oz showing up and giving him the ring, mentioning Buffy, etc. brought some memories and he needed to calm himself.
  • Doyle wearing a Claddagh ring. I don't know if it's just me never noticing it before or if it was just this episode?
  • The last scene is beautiful but it's so obvious that the sunlight is fake, it's a bit distracting.
And this episode left me wishing we had gotten more Angel/Oz interactions...

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Solid episode for s1 but I remember liking a lot more than I did on this rewatch so I'm a bit disappointed.
I remember laughing a little on my last watch because I felt like they really tried to go so heavy on the adult themes in early AtS. Like, in this episode, let's tackle domestic abuse, torture and pedophilia! That way we won't be confused with the teenage show. :)

Seriously, I struggle with the Angel torture. It makes me dread this one for the most part.

Angel doing Tai Chi again! It's like Oz showing up and giving him the ring, mentioning Buffy, etc. brought some memories and he needed to calm himself.
I like this, too. Also, I couldn't help but notice the similarities with this exchange and IWRY:
Doyle: "I do promise there will be another one just like it again tomorrow."
Angel: "Not for me."

Mr Trick

Scooby
Agree that Oz would have worked well on Angel, his deadpan style would have suited the show. But of course Seth Green wanted to do movies and hasn't really looked back since. The one danger of Oz on Angel is that he might have just become the quiping sidekick, and you already had Cordy adding comic value.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Doyle wearing a Claddagh ring. I don't know if it's just me never noticing it before or if it was just this episode?
It's not just this episode. He's wearing it in 'City Of' and 'Lonely Hearts'. I think he wears it throughout.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
I love that episode it is the crossover to the BTVS episode THLOTD

- Marcus is scary as a vampire who loves children and who listens to music in torturing Angel, the way he stares at Angel is creepy.
- Spike is in LA, he's badass in this episode, I love his first scene when he looks at Angel and his lines (Puppy fluffy with bad teeth) he's funny as hell. I love all his scenes & I love that he mentions Buffy. He says that Angel 's love for Buffy is a perversion (if he knew what will happen in the future lol) he 's also funny and pathetic in the end when he got fooled by Marcus he is in enraged and says he will be a lonewolf, a big bad then he got burnt by daylight LOL. :D
- Spike vs Angel fight (yes)
- Cordelia and Spike don't know about each other, they never met there's a mistake :oops:.
- Oz is cool, he saves AI from the bad guys :cool: .
- Angel got hurt by Spike when mentions Buffy from the events in THLOTD :( . It's great to see him in the daylight it's been more than a lifetime till he have seen a sunset I love that moment. Plus his fight scene with Marcus in the beach is great.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Spike is pretty pathetic in this episode. He attacks Angel with a 2by4 and gets beaten quite easily.
Lol then they have a scene of Doyle acting scared to Cordys Spike tales. Right after they'd just seen Angel literally bounce him around the Car park 😂

Mr Trick

Scooby
Spike is pretty pathetic in this episode. He attacks Angel with a 2by4 and gets beaten quite easily.
Lol then they have a scene of Doyle acting scared to Cordys Spike tales. Right after they'd just seen Angel literally bounce him around the Car park 😂
Well true I never thought of that! But to be fair their humans (were Doyle's half demon but still), to them Spike would be a serious threat.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Not the great episode I remember. The molologing is a bit overdone. Marcus this time around wasn't that interesting. Of course Spike was on top form. I like the theme too. The highlight might have been Cordy's concern for Angel.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
Probably the weakest episode so far, but it's perfectly fine. Spike is the obvious highlight, and his scenes steal the show, whilst Marcus always seems like a void of a character to me - he basically just says some vague things about 'what Angel wants' and 'ending the pain' or some such, but at the end of the day, he's just another random vamp character. Oz is there, I suppose. He doesn't do or say a lot, but it's nice to see him. Doyle and Cordy don't get much interesting to do either; this is a severe problem with the crossover episodes on 'Angel'. The 'Buffy' characters barge in and take everything over, whilst everyone bar Angel has to sit on the side-lines. I prefer 'Angel' to 'Buffy', so maybe that's where my criticism comes from!

The fight between Angel and Marcus is quite fun and I love Marcus' death. The final scene between Angel and Doyle is really good as well, despite the bad chroma key. Angel's moral dilemma surrounding the Gem of Amara is well done, and he feels like a stronger character because of it. The abuse subplot doesn't really add anything to the rest of it, but it does give us a nice scene between Angel and the girl in her apartment. Overall, not a standout episode, but it passes the time well enough.

Top Bottom