• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.03 "The Witch" - Aired 3/17/1997 (WB-US)

Mr Trick

Scooby
This is one of the which dates the show badly. I do enjoy the cheerleading scenes.

Plus Giles getting excited about spontaneous combustion:D And ASH's hammy delivery during the spell sequence:p

Joyce is the worst in it though:rolleyes:

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
As it seems for a lot of other people, this was the episode that sold me on the show. It showed that the team could do more than just vampires and keep things fun and interesting. The twist is very clever but the hyper Buffy scenes really get on my nerves. I don't find them funny apart from a few lines. Joyce doesn't act in the best way in this episode but she has just moved to a new town to a new job and is having to get used to raising a daughter on her own (don't think it was that long before this that Hank left - correct me if I'm wrong) so I think she's basically stressed out of her mind and takes it out on Buffy: still a bad thing to do.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
This is one of the which dates the show badly.

This episode gives validation to Xander's suggestion that "it could be witches, some evil witches" during the "I've got a theory" song since they did battle an evil witch in the past. Willow and Tara's annoyed reaction which caused Xander to backtrack was a bit uncalled for.

Joyce doesn't act in the best way in this episode but she has just moved to a new town to a new job and is having to get used to raising a daughter on her own (don't think it was that long before this that Hank left - correct me if I'm wrong) so I think she's basically stressed out of her mind and takes it out on Buffy: still a bad thing to do.

I think the divorce happened within the year given the fact that Buffy was expelled from Hemery and was enrolled in Sunnydale High School during the middle of a semester when she and Joyce moved. Hank was still visiting and had Buffy during the Summer so it probably happened at some point in the preceding 6 months.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
I found it cool and funny that Cordy has her doctor prescribe her special meals at school. I wish that I had that ability while I was in school.

It was funny how Xander referred Willow as being one of the guys, while Buffy referred Xander as being one of the gals.

Joyce was a bit too self involved in this episode to notice that Buffy opened those crates much easier than she could've.

Giles was lying about that spell being his first spell. I guess he's trying to run away from his past and trying to hide it.

Amy's mom is the most annoying parent in this franchise.

littlemisscooby

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo.
To me the most interesting thing about rewatching it is it helps explain to me why Amy went evil. At the end of the episode we think that Amy is saved, moves in with her dad and comes out of the experience virtually unharmed. Her actions throughout the series, but especially Season 6 and after, prove that wasn't the case.
Yes! It speaks to maternal abuse under the guise of witchcraft. I like that we see a lot of real issues being represented in a supernatural nature so early on in the series. In Amy's case, nobody would be that 'ok' with seeing their mother 'die' in a sense after years of being abused by her. It comes back later on in season 6 with Amy's addiction to witchcraft manifesting itself in a similar fashion to her mother's. Often we'll hear of people being raised by parents with addictions and end up forming the same or similar addictions. This is a good representation of that. It makes me wonder what Amy's dad thought when she turned herself into a rat and if he even knew about it or whether he just thought she'd disappeared because she was dabbling in magic.

littlemisscooby

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo.
thinking more about this...

and then, she just gets comfortable in her new life with her dad, she turns herself into a rat to avoid being burned at the stake (probably her dad included in the crowd who wanted her dead) and then, willow turns her back into a human 3 years later...and she sees how powerful willow is but it took her so long...3 years, all that time should could have been with her dad learning to enjoy being a kid again...gone

lots of resentment built up I'd assume.

And when Willow turned her back into a human in Season 4, Episode is 'Something Blue'. She briefly turns back into a human on Willow's bed and Willow reverses it again by saying something else and has no idea lol.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
And when Willow turned her back into a human in Season 4, Episode is 'Something Blue'. She briefly turns back into a human on Willow's bed and Willow reverses it again by saying something else and has no idea lol.
Willow could've thought less about herself in that scenario, and used her magics to derat Amy. It could've saved her in the long run because Amy would've been less resentful.

littlemisscooby
littlemisscooby
Definitely agree.

thrasherpix

Scooby
What happened to the cat?

My fanon: same cat that yowled at the Buffy mouse in the s2 ep (BBB, not spelling it out). A cat hunting a mouse doesn't act that way. That was the actions of a cat that sees an threat. It wasn't hunting, it was fighting. I say it recognized Buffy, or at least felt Amy's magicks on it, so didn't fully trust his eyes, or at least wondered what hidden danger there might be, which it tried to provoke into revealing (or at least fleeing) and/or building its own courage up to attack (like a normal cat).

Given the fact that the cat's master was a trophy above its head, it make even more sense to me. I presume the cat died when the school blew up.

Stake fodder

Soulless
My favorite line was Giles saying, "That's the thrill of living on the Hellmouth. A veritable cornucopia of fiends and devils and ghouls to engage." I don't think Giles was ever this gleefully excited again!

I'm so glad they didn't stick with Slayerettes as a name.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Xander to Willow : That's why you're so cool ! You're like a guy ! You're my guy friend that knows about girls stuff.

Later in the same episode :

Buffy to Xander : You're my Xander shaped friend, do you have any idea why I love you so Xander? I'll tell you, you're not like the other boys at all. You are totally and completely one of girls!

I like that lol.

Stake fodder
Stake fodder
Good catch!

Ninjagirl2008

Townie
One of the things I love most about this series is how it can be very empowering for women and girls. In this episode, I think there was something so powerful that gets overlooked. When Willow is describing Amy and Amy's mom, she talks about how the mom won't eat much of anything, and won't let Amy have brownies. High school is prime time for girls to develop disordered eating behaviors, as they face more and more pressure to be thin and fit a certain beauty ideal. I love that when Willow talks about the disordered eating patterns Amy's mom exhibits, both she and Buffy are horrified by this, instead of treating it as the normal way you have to eat to stay thin. I also love that Amy says she's going to get fat at the end of the episode. It's better to enjoy a plate of brownies sometimes and maybe gain weight then to engage in unhealthy restrictive eating behaviors. I do wish there were some fat characters on the show, even just as background, but this was still a positive message.

Top Bottom