• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.04 "Teacher's Pet" - Aired 3/24/1997 (WB-US)

Willow Rosenberg

I might be just like you!
Season 1, Episode 4 "“ Aired: 3/24/1997
Teacher's Pet
Xander, and most of the male population of Sunnydale High, are falling all over themselves trying to impress the new substitute Biology teacher, Ms. French. When Buffy sees this femme fatale scare off a particularly nasty vampire, however, she begins to suspect that Xander may be in serious trouble.
SOURCE:TV.COM

This episode is one of my least favorite ever. A lot of things just don't make sense. A large preying mantis that can turn into a human female? Human sperm is needed for the eggs? What ever happens to the eggs? What was the point of the fork vamp? Couldn't any vamp have done the same things he did? Just not a big fan of this one.

S
Spikefan31
[No message]
Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]
laianna
laianna
"What ever happens to the eggs?" Good point! We never see them again!
Yeah, don't know why she needed that exact vampire to find Ms. French's house...

But I love the look Buffy gives Willow when Willow says that Dr. Gregory was the only teacher that didn't think Buffy was just a delinquent or something like that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/tragicdeath/buffy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Living Dead Boy
Living Dead Boy
[No message]
Jules
Jules
[No message]

buffyprops

Potential
A little known fact:
Some of the guy's that worked on Babylon Five, later worked on Buffy and brought with them some of the things from that show.
The Mantis Head that was used for Miss French at the end of this episode was one of them.

Flash Gordon

Townie
I really liked this episode. It starts off with Xander having a dream about him saving Buffy (like that would ever happen). Couldn`t he have dreamed about her saving him, that would have been fun, but no he wants his girls to be passive princesses who needs rescuing. There is a lot of men being victims in this episode, which I like, as opposed to traditional storyline with women as victims. I think the singer at the club seemed kind of gay, and that`s why it was fun when Xander "hit on" him, but he got dissed. I think suffering Angel is kind of cute, as opposed to the extremely brute portraying of the Angel-character in future episodes. I think the substitute is really cool, even scars the vamps. Buffy hunts even though Giles told her not to. Go Buffy :) Cordy is so funny when she is totally insensitive and selfabsorbed when the teacher has died and she talks to the counsellor. Xander is cute when he gets all insecure with the teacher. It`s so funny that she hunts only virgin males (because the traditional storyline is that male predators go for female virgins). Boring though is that Willow is in love with Xander. It`s funny when Xander says: May I say one thing? HEEEELP! Good also that the episode ends with Buffy saving Xander as oppossed to his dream. In the last scene eggs are being hatched, anyone who remembers if that is followed up som ewhere? Anyway, good episode :)

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I really liked this episode. It starts off with Xander having a dream about him saving Buffy (like that would ever happen). Couldn`t he have dreamed about her saving him, that would have been fun, but no he wants his girls to be passive princesses who needs rescuing. There is a lot of men being victims in this episode, which I like, as opposed to traditional storyline with women as victims. I think the singer at the club seemed kind of gay, and that`s why it was fun when Xander "hit on" him, but he got dissed. I think suffering Angel is kind of cute, as opposed to the extremely brute portraying of the Angel-character in future episodes. I think the substitute is really cool, even scars the vamps. Buffy hunts even though Giles told her not to. Go Buffy :) Cordy is so funny when she is totally insensitive and selfabsorbed when the teacher has died and she talks to the counsellor. Xander is cute when he gets all insecure with the teacher. It`s so funny that she hunts only virgin males (because the traditional storyline is that male predators go for female virgins). Boring though is that Willow is in love with Xander. It`s funny when Xander says: May I say one thing? HEEEELP! Good also that the episode ends with Buffy saving Xander as oppossed to his dream. In the last scene eggs are being hatched, anyone who remembers if that is followed up som ewhere? Anyway, good episode :)
They really did some clear statements in the early episodes that this show is not the usual male hero saves the day kinda show.
Gotta love that.

I like these early episode.
The episode arcs might not be the greatest all the time but they are always filled with smaller, funny, moments and brilliant lines.

/SK

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
Not my favourite. There were redeeming qualities but even after re-watching it I was forced to say that it couldn't compare to the previous episode 'Witch' or the following 'Never Kill a Boy on the First Date'. Plus, Natalie French's accent really annoys me. What is she? Decide on a nationality women!

JoeyLostDharma

Potential
It's one of the silliest episodes of the show, but in fairness a lot of season 1 was like that.
It's watchable, and still some witty dialog in there to make it fun.

Username

Scooby
I really like this episode a lot, it's fun.
What always bothers me though is Xander's daydream in the beginning, in the dream he throws a stake at vampire, but it's looks like he's not even trying to put some strength behind it, it looks so stupid ;)

The whole story about a giant she-mantis able to transform into a human who needs sperm from a virgin is, I don't even know what to say about it.

Best line:
Buffy: Factoid three: Her fashion sense screams predator.
Willow Rosenberg: It's the shoulder pads.
Buffy: Exactly.

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
Well, well, well...welcome to Short to Long Buffy Reviews or whatever I called it. Today I am going to review the after-school special-like and ever so slightly painful episode 'Teacher's Pet'. Oh, sure...there are some good aspects which include the awesomeness of Angel's leather jacket and endless oppurtunities to make fun of Bug Ladie's voice. Oh, and the REAL Natalie French had me really giggling but the episode just seems...not so great compared to previous and future episodes of the show. Well, anyhow...did you think this was the review? Moving on.

Oh, just a side note...I'm writing this review while hanging out in Safe Mode battling viruses with my sidekick Zoe at my side. Just thought you'd wanna know that.

This review is going to be shorter than my last one because I haven't watched it recently (I'm watching it on Saturday though since it's playing on TV here) and I have no desire to watch it at this time. I've basically forgotten what I would want to say apart from the bad things so be prepared for an interesting review.

Okay, so this episode is so after school special-y that when I talk about it I just want to hit something. I don't hate it, because there is actually no episode in the history of the Buffyverse that I hate. The Angelverse...yes, I can't stand the episode 'She' and 'Warzone' kind of had me zoning out too but I don't hate a SINGLE Buffy ep. But the message of this episode being 'Do Your Homework' or whatever might just make it the worst Buffy episode with a lesson that there is.

The fact that the Preying Mantis Lady only sought after virgins cracked me up. That end scene was gold! And the real Natalie French was just epic, better than the lady of many accents whom I will get to in a second.

Okay, seconds up...The Lady of Many Accents as I have dubbed her, is Preying Mantis Lady. Can somebody please tell me if this is an accent from like, Africa or something so I can stop making fun of it? Sometimes it sounds British, sometimes American and sometimes even Australian. I wonder if it was supposed to be sexy. I didn't really find the lady attractive either...But maybe that's just me.

Dr. Gregory was cool, I liked him and kind of wish he hadn't been killed off even though I have no idea what kind of role he could've played in the future. I was naive when I went into this show and didn't expect him to get killed.

I really zone out by the time Xander's been locked in the basement. I just don't seem to care anymore after that. Buffy's lines are kind of really corny and the fights are lame...some parts I tune in for but it's just really a blurr.

FUNNIEST LINES
"No dear, I'm right here"
"That's all cryptic guy said, fork guy""You have too many guys in your life"
...I'm sure there's others but I have a worst line this time.

WORST LINE
"What are you doing?""My homework"

I'm waaaay too lazy to write anything else aside from the fact that I prefer Angel's personality in the earlier episodes of BtVS to later ones. And I love him on AtS. But he just has a 'cool-guy' manner in these first few episodes and it's just awesome. And his jacket looked great on her, I love how it was WAY too long.

So, rating. I'd rate it a generous 3/10. :D

SEE YOU NEXT TIME!!!

sosa lola

Scooby
I love this episode! I love the gender reversal between Buffy and Xander and how it happens a lot on the show. Dark haired, handsome boy is the kidnapped virgin about to be raped, and the little blonde girl is Superman, marching in for the rescue.

It starts off with Xander having a dream about him saving Buffy (like that would ever happen).
Actually it does happen. More than once. In fact, Xander saves Buffy in the last episode of this season.

shadcat

Confidant & Sex Poodle
Re-watching this ep after the reviews above, I find the Teacher's accent funny. Never paid attention to it the first time.

What bugs me is Buffy goes to warn Xander that the lady is a monster...yet Xander just gets mad about it and Buffy just lets him go. That was so unrealistic. He is in serious danger but she doesn't try and stop him, nor tell him the facts they knew. Obviously that would take away from the plot of the episode if Xander didn't go to her house...but they should of just had Buffy miss warning him. That would be more believable.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I think the only reason ''fork guy'' is in this episode is to bring Angel into the storyline, it was pretty pointless.

I liked how they showed the undercover police investigating the murders. It showed that all these killings dont go unnoticed by the real life law enforcement agents.

SallyCinnamon

You are my world.
I think I've only watched this episode a maximum of twice, I just don't enjoy it very much. The idea is quite good, but I just think it is executed poorly.

SpikeAllTheWay

Vampire
Well this was one of the worst episodes, I really don't like it. I maybe watched it twice or something, if this was the first episode I don't think I would have continued watching.

I don't know if this one or I Robot You Jane is the weakest episode of season 1.

I kind of always skip it when I rewatch Buffy.

Funny thing about this episode is it starts the Xander being a demon magnet thing.

KendraTheSlayer

Dats Me Favorite Shirt
So this is where I'm at in the series so far. Just finished up this episode. I actually really liked it a lot. Yeah it had some goofy stuff in it but that makes it fun. I'm getting hooked on this series.

Bluebird
Bluebird
[No message]
Top Bottom