• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.04 "Teacher's Pet" - Aired 3/24/1997 (WB-US)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Yea, I'm with @Mr Trick in that it doesn't really bother me, but maybe that's because I've seen this in other movies and shows.
Inviting a student to come over and serve him alcoholic drinks is pretty illegal here
This is the part where it does start to gross me out, because that's very inappropriate to invite a student over and then illegal to serve them alcohol and try to "seduce" him. It's more disturbing knowing that she needs a virgin to fertilize her eggs. Eww!
One final point...Ms. French is not even hot.
No, I don't think she is either. But wasn't she like putting off pheromones or something. Didn't Giles even say she was attractive? Forget the Virgin thing and imagine if she was trying to seduce Giles instead. I think that would be better. Plus it would make sense why he was hesitant to get to know Ms. Calendar. Besides, Xander gets a better episode with The Pack. I actually sort of like Teacher's Pet even though I know it's terrible. Lol

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
The good:
Dr Gregory and Buffy scene, her whole school experience could have been different if she'd had a supportive teacher in her life
Giles: wasn't here, didn't see it, couldn't have stopped it. I've always loved Giles, right from the beginning
Xander being set on his path to being a demon magnet

The bad:
Angel - his character gets better in time but pretty pointless in the early episodes.

The ugly:
Cordelia, always Cordelia.
And The bug sandwich

Not my favorite episode by a long shot.

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
Okay, it's been a long while but let's pick this rewatch back up, self!

"Teacher's Pet" is the first real dud of season 1, but I'm a fan of season 1 so there aren't that many duds this season for me.

Dr. Gregory also appears in the episode right before this, so that's a nice bit of continuity! His brief scene with Buffy is sweet, so of course he dies immediately after. RIP.

Xander smiling at the lead singer at The Bronze and the lead singer sneering at him has to be one of the most random scenes lol

Predictably, the saving graces of this episode for me are the Buffy/Angel scenes. Cute! "You're cold." / "You can take it." Who says Buffy and Angel don't have banter? Angel feels like his cryptic, awkward yet suave self in this episode. "Oh, boy." You don't even know the half of it, Buffy...

It's not romanticised at all, thankfully, but it is still supremely uncomfortable watching a teacher hit on students. Blech.

Charisma Carpenter sure does nail those horror movie-esque screams.

Yeah, I really don't have much else to say about this somewhat lacklustre episode other than the ending gives me X-Files vibes. I think the problem with the episode is that it's – like I just mentioned – lacklustre but at the same time it's also ridiculous; I mean, Buffy is battling the monster of the week using bug spray... let that sink in.

Tagline for Teacher's Pet: "What are you going to do?" / "My homework."

thrasherpix

Scooby
I just watched this today myself. I'll agree that it was lackluster, and that Dr. Gregory was sweet. The only part I really enjoyed, though, is the madman Giles talked about and eventually called.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Buffy connecting to the teacher and being motivated to avenge his death is probably the highlight. There's some good comedy but the plot and effects are a bit of mess. Its nice watching on the re-watch in the knowledge that I'm getting the trash out the way early;) No matter what people think of S6 and 7 they don't have episodes this bad:D

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
I quite like this one, probably because it's totally ludicrous. The whole idea of Xander going to this GROWN WOMAN'S house because she invited him there is kind of unbelievable. Obviously Principal Flutie doesn't think highly of educating kids on stranger danger. I actually like Xander a lot in this episode; back in the high school seasons he was more immature and petty but he felt like he had more of a point to his character compared to Seasons 5-7 where he basically sits around and cracks jokes. In all honesty I also really like his line 'an actual woman finds me attractive': it's a tad petty towards Buffy but I sort of feel sorry for the guy seeing as it's implied throughout Season 1 that he's never had any success with women and this is his insecurity and depression bubbling to the surface. Could be way off on that though.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I quite like this one, probably because it's totally ludicrous. The whole idea of Xander going to this GROWN WOMAN'S house because she invited him there is kind of unbelievable. Obviously Principal Flutie doesn't think highly of educating kids on stranger danger. I actually like Xander a lot in this episode; back in the high school seasons he was more immature and petty but he felt like he had more of a point to his character compared to Seasons 5-7 where he basically sits around and cracks jokes. In all honesty I also really like his line 'an actual woman finds me attractive': it's a tad petty towards Buffy but I sort of feel sorry for the guy seeing as it's implied throughout Season 1 that he's never had any success with women and this is his insecurity and depression bubbling to the surface. Could be way off on that though.
My guess is Flutie didn't know. I'm sure that could've put bug lady's plan at risk:D

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The effects let down this episode massively and the eggs at the end are never addressed again, however plot wise this could've been a really creepy fridge horror episode (particularly if you're a parent) since the elements are all there. A teacher lures your son to her house with the intention of forcibly raping him in order to fertilise her desired offspring. If this was a later season and the effects were better and the plot a bit more polished then this could've potentially been a decent episode. It's never going to measure up to the more iconic episodes like Hush etc but it has potential to be better than it was.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The effects let down this episode massively and the eggs at the end are never addressed again, however plot wise this could've been a really creepy fridge horror episode (particularly if you're a parent) since the elements are all there. A teacher lures your son to her house with the intention of forcibly raping him in order to fertilise her desired offspring. If this was a later season and the effects were better and the plot a bit more polished then this could've potentially been a decent episode. It's never going to measure up to the more iconic episodes like Hush etc but it has potential to be better than it was.
I maybe remembering this wrong but I think Xander destroys the eggs. So I guess that's why they don't come up again. I'm fine with them not returning to the plot. Think it moved on to more interesting things.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I maybe remembering this wrong but I think Xander destroys the eggs. So I guess that's why they don't come up again. I'm fine with them not returning to the plot. Think it moved on to more interesting things.
The last shot of the episode was of some eggs concealed in a school cupboard with one moving and looking like it was about to hatch. I agree the show moved on to more interesting things so it made sense not to go back, but Season 1 does leave a few plot lines hanging unnecessarily eg Marcie and the invisible school of assassins.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The last shot of the episode was of some eggs concealed in a school cupboard with one moving and looking like it was about to hatch. I agree the show moved on to more interesting things so it made sense not to go back, but Season 1 does leave a few plot lines hanging unnecessarily eg Marcie and the invisible school of assassins.
True. I think part of it is just doing that classic horror thing of having an open ending as shot in the arm for the audience. The main reason is probably the writers not having a clear idea of what they were going to do in the future til later. I'm fine with it. Not everything has to be 100% tied up. They moved away from it pretty much after this season.

Kratos

Potential
I hate this episode. It’s one of the few Buffy eps I’d probably skip on a subsequent rewatch of season 1. It drags on and on, though there are a few good moments (the scenes with the Scoobies). The worst Xander episode imo.

Top Bottom