• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.05 "Never Kill A Boy On A First Date" - Aired 3/31/1997 (WB-US)

Willow Rosenberg

I might be just like you!
Season 1, Episode 5 "“ Aired: 3/31/1997
Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
Yearning for a normal life, Buffy agrees to a date with the mysterious and brooding Owen. Giles discovers a prophecy of coming danger which would interfere with her plans, but she chooses Owen over battling the forces of darkness. When Giles goes out on his own and is trapped by a group of vampires, Buffy must figure out a way to balance dating and Slaying.
SOURCE:TV.COM

Flash Gordon

Townie
I really like Buffy`s earlier oufits, especially the green dress she wears in this episode. I think it`s funny when Giles says to Buffy: Emily Dickinson-she is kind of a good poet and Buffy asks: For a girl? and Giles answers "For an american". Willow is the cutest like she always is in the first season episodes. Whedon`s first female leadsinger appears at the Bronze. I think it`s kind of boring and typical that the annointed one is a boy (and not a girl). I think the episode overall is okay, it`s not one of my favorites though.

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
you're such a gender baiter,its silly.

buffyprops

Potential
This episode posed a quandary for me.
Giles finding the ring in the Vamps Dust was just a little too convenient when in later episodes it's pretty much a given that everything on the Vamps Body gets dusty when it's staked.
The only other time I can think of when this wasn't the case was in
"Surprise" when Drusilla stakes Angel in Buffy's Dream and we see him go dusty and his Cladah Ring fall from his hand.

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
It's reasonably good, it's another one that I just shrugged off the first time I watched it but was better the second time. It's funny, especially all that stuff about Emily Dickinson (or Emily Dickens, as Buffy says). Seeing Buffy all cute and desperate was sweet even though we all knew this relationship would never work out becasue A) Owen didn't know she was the Slayer and B) Because we all knew she'd end up with Angel. It's a good episode. The 'Anointed One' or 'Supposed Anointed One' is far creepier than what we end up with..the 'Annoying One'

buffyprops

Potential
From what I understand, the dialogue of the "Supposed Anointed One" about "Pork-N-Beans" was all add lib...which definitely added to the creep-factor.

WWGD

Potential
This was an important episode to show how Buffy started to realize how she needs to balance her slaying life and her normal life. Being careless and selfish is more dangerous to everyone around her than for a normal person. This also shows int he end when she realizes she can't be with Owen because he is irresponsible and would end up getting himself killed.

hazzard

we merry few
i just rewatched this episode the other night, and laughed out loud at the scene that i'd never really noticed before:

when angel, xander, and willow all show up at the bronze during buffy and owen's date to get her help, they're all trying to subtly tell her giles is in trouble at the funeral home. when she finally gets it, she says "bite me!" and then it pans to angel and holy hell, the look of pure longing on his face is just hysterical. the camera lingers on him for a few good seconds and there is silence. excellent acting and foreshadowing and damn funny.

Dagenspear

Scooby
This is an historic episode in the Buffyverse! The VERY FIRST CANGEL MOMENT! "Hello salty goodness."

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I loved Cordy in this episode, she's so desperate! First she goes after Owen and then Angel and they both have an interest in Buffy. It was hillarious to watch her reaction to that. I loved the scene with Buffy/Owen and Angel and Xander/Willow in the Bronze. Angel being all jealous was so cute!

NeonNightLight
NeonNightLight
[No message]

SallyCinnamon

You are my world.
I love this episode, but I can't imagine that I'd ever want to date Owen, yeah he's cute, but he seems to be so boring, he gets his kicks from visiting a funeral home? How weird.

I felt sorry for Cordy, and it seems a tad unrealistic that all the boys go after Buffy and reject Cordelia.

Living Dead Boy

Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss
Black Thorn
I love this episode, but I can't imagine that I'd ever want to date Owen, yeah he's cute, but he seems to be so boring, he gets his kicks from visiting a funeral home? How weird.

I felt sorry for Cordy, and it seems a tad unrealistic that all the boys go after Buffy and reject Cordelia.

Not really. A lot of guys, like myself, wouldn't give Cordelia (in her high school years) the light of day, especially if I knew how she was. I'm more attracted to the inside. Yeah, Cordy's attractive and all, but Buffy was no ugly duckling by any means either.

SallyCinnamon

You are my world.
Not really. A lot of guys, like myself, wouldn't give Cordelia (in her high school years) the light of day, especially if I knew how she was. I'm more attracted to the inside. Yeah, Cordy's attractive and all, but Buffy was no ugly duckling by any means either.
Fair enough, good to hear a guys perspective on it.

Living Dead Boy
Living Dead Boy
no problem Clairebear. :)

SpikeAllTheWay

Vampire
This is the funniest episode of Season 1, I love it when Owen (I don't like him btw) is asking all these questions about what Giles is doing here and stuff. So funny when Xander and Willow are indicating that there is vamp stuff going on and they pretend to be together. Cordelia getting no boy is hilarious, she really deserved that (don't think I don't like Cordy). And I can't tell you how glad I was when Buffy rejected him at the end, this guy is way to boring for her.

Hawkbrother

Townie
I love this episode, not just the plot, but some of the great dialogue.

"You killed my date!" is perhaps my favorite.(And fortunately her date had not in fact been killed).
Agree that Buffy was beginning to see that she could not just ignore her slayer role, that she could not be just another typical Sunnydale student. She was different; she had a calling, and that refusing to recognize that put anyone around her in danger.

Last edited:

AmelRIOT

Angelsbitca
I like season one a lot as it brings us the beginning of Buffy, and I really like this episode we see what Buffy is really like on a date, the master getting the annoying one, Angel is clearly jealous of Owen and Giles trying to calm down his strictness (is that a word lol!) This episode shows me that even though she's a slayer she wants to be a normal girl, fitting in, getting ready with friends to go out and actually going on a date. Loads of us girls in school wanted that just to go to parties or hang with mates but we can't always do it as we have responsibilities so does Buffy and it's not safe bringing people to dangerous events.

Sorry if I blah on and didn't make sense I hope I did :), but overall I love seeing Buffy getting ready for a date and being a girl and not just the slayer, I also love the humour in it :)

mamarsh18

Townie
One of my favorite season 1 episdoes. It is one that I ususally put on before I fall asleep. My favorite scene though is when Owen walks into the library, and Giles is like "Can I help you?" Buffy then has to remind Giles that this is a library, and that sometime people check out books to learn things.

Giles' wit in this episode is fantastic, and he seems on his "A" game with the sarcastic remarks.
Owen was kind of strange. I like a man who can read, but a guy that gets his kicks by hanging out at funeral homes and getting into bar fights? Really?

It also made Buffy realize that she needed to put a bigger foot in the slayer aspect of her life, and take a little out of her personal life. I also enjoyed how Cordellia practically threw herself at Owen and Angel, and ended up getting shot down by both of them. Also the bar scene when Willow and Xander are "dating" and they want to do a double date because of as Xander puts it "The FUN".

All in all good episode. :]

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
I think this is one of the top episodes of the first season. It's really fun, and it's a total "high school" episode, which I love, if that makes any sense. They sort of backed off from it in later seasons, but I liked how Buffy was trying to have a normal life. Seeing her try and balance slaying with something as normal and everyday as dating, and having it just completely blow up, was entertaining but also a little sad (or at least, I felt sad for her).

Owen was pretty funny. I mean, he's a total tool, but I thought he fit the episode perfectly. Xander is at his best here (man, Xander in the early seasons was so funny): "One thing you should know about Buffy: She doesn't like to be touched". Giles has some great lines as well, especially near the start in the library.

I really liked the tease with who the Anointed One is. The scene with the crazy guy on the bus was awesome (seriously, I think everyone has met "that guy" at some point in their lives), and when he rises in the morgue later on, that whole scene with the Scoobies and Owen running around was really good.

I liked Angel a lot in this episode as well, even though he's not in it that much. I was always really into Angel, and I always liked the "mystery man" story before his own episode reveals more about him. Him barging into the middle of Buffy's date, and just being completely not impressed at all with Owen, was priceless.

Really good episode. It's a little like the old 90's horror movies in a way, almost. I really enjoyed it.

Evil Angelus 95
Evil Angelus 95
[No message]

The Thirst Evil

The Un-slept
Watched this episode today, and I made a funny observation.

When the Xander, Willow and Owen barricade themselves in, and then the vampire rises, they quickly start to move everything out of the way so they can get out, but Xander picks up the lamp and carefully puts it back on the table. Has he no sense of urgency?

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
It's one of my favorite season one episodes as well. I find it touching & pretty sad how desperately Buffy wants somewhat of a normal life. It really shows you how long of a journey she has gone through before she accepted her destiny & that the slayer is a part of who she is, not just a job. Also, the crazy guy on the bus makes me laugh constantly. His crazy ramblings are hilarious. I remember watching it for the first time & really thinking he was the Anointed One & I was shocked by the twist at the end.

The scene with Buffy & Giles at the end is also interesting. I love Sarah & Tony's acting in that scene & learning more about Giles' past for the first time & how he resented his destiny as a watcher at first as well. That's when I first noticed them really bond & saw that they really did have something in common.

The music here is great too! I love this ep!

Top Bottom